Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Article: Imperial College London trumps Oxbridge in new university rankings Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Where?

I'd say the only Ivies known outside the US are Harvard and Yale. And maybe Princeton. And yeah none of them are in that QS top 10.
    Lol Columbia's pretty well known outside the US, particularly its Law School.

ReputationRep:
    Really misleading headline, this isn't an overall ranking, moreover just a universities' international friendliness.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Lol Columbia's pretty well known outside the US, particularly its Law School.
    Amongst lawyers.

Now try asking some ordinary folks to name American universities.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Amongst lawyers.

I might actually do that interesting experiment although Asia is pretty obsessed with higher education so I wouldn't be surprised if they know Columbia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Back in the day (before the THE started using HESA) I used to deliberately misinterpret their request for staff and student number from "other countries" and count all the Welsh, Scottish and NI staff and students as non-English and therefore international :ninjagirl:

Most other countries don't have a body similar to HESA to vet their stats for consistency and so the staff and student numbers part of this table will be based on similar data provided directly to the compilers :flute:

ReputationRep:
    Amongst lawyers.

Who cares about what ordinary folks think? Your average Joe down at the pub shouldn't be used as a reliable metric of anything with regard to university education. If he did, we'd barely end up with five or six universities in the world being included in the ranking.

What matters is what people within academic and professional circles think of the university, and given Columbia's prevalence in both investment banking and BigLaw in the US, I daresay that the people who matter do indeed think highly of it. Whether my grandma has heard of uni x is beyond the scope of this ranking.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Who cares about what ordinary folks think? Your average Joe down at the pub shouldn't be used as a reliable metric of anything with regard to university education. If he did, we'd barely end up with five or six universities in the world being included in the ranking.

What matters is what people within academic and professional circles think of the university, and given Columbia's prevalence in both investment banking and BigLaw in the US, I daresay that the people who matter do indeed think highly of it. Whether my grandma has heard of uni x is beyond the scope of this ranking.
    Ok, so ask sixth formers then. They are the ones who are most interested*. (Aside from current students/staff or alumni - employers don't look at this stuff, at all.)

*Rightly or wrongly.

BTW it's your average Joe that brought us Brexit and Trump, so maybe their opinion of further education *is* important too.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so ask sixth formers then. They are the ones who are most interested*. (Aside from current students/staff or alumni - employers don't look at this stuff, at all.)

*Rightly or wrongly.

BTW it's your average Joe that brought us Brexit and Trump, so maybe their opinion of further education *is* important too.
    I'd be willing to, and the sixth formers who I still know would definitely be able to namepick all of the Ivies, including slightly less well known ones such as Dartmouth or Brown. This is what looking at league tables all day long does to people. If you're referring to your average sixth former who can barely get an M in his BTEC, well, I'm not very interested in his opinion to be honest.

The second argument is disingenuous - it's one thing for these uneducated morons to have a say in something through their vote (e.g. HE funding), and a wholly different thing for them to be objectively good authorities on it. I'd rather keep my sample to people who work in sectors where one's education is important and relevant to the individual making the judgement of what is a "reputable" university. Which is just as well, considering the fact that "international reputation" in this ranking is based upon the opinions of academics, not garbage collectors or handymen.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Where?

I'd say the only Ivies known outside the US are Harvard and Yale. And maybe Princeton. And yeah none of them are in that QS top 10.
    :headfire:

Serena: "A place like Brown?"
    Blair: "An enclave of trustafarians and children of celebrities who major in drum circles and semiotics. I can't wait for you to come home next Thanksgiving a militant veganista, anemic and proud!"
    Serena: "Brown is an Ivy League school."
    Blair: "Everyone knows that the only real Ivys are the Holy Trinity: Harvard, Yale and Princeton."

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I'd be willing to, and the sixth formers who I still know would definitely be able to namepick all of the Ivies, including slightly less well known ones such as Dartmouth or Brown. This is what looking at league tables all day long does to people. If you're referring to your average sixth former who can barely get an M in his BTEC, well, I'm not very interested in his opinion to be honest.

The second argument is disingenuous - it's one thing for these uneducated morons to have a say in something through their vote (e.g. HE funding), and a wholly different thing for them to be objectively good authorities on it. I'd rather keep my sample to people who work in sectors where one's education is important and relevant to the individual making the judgement of what is a "reputable" university. Which is just as well, considering the fact that "international reputation" in this ranking is based upon the opinions of academics, not garbage collectors or handymen.
    Hmm, methinks you *care* too much

ReputationRep:
    There is no US uni in the top 20 because there are two oceans around the USA and it's much more difficult to go there than to Swiss unis, which are in the middle of a densely populated continent. Moreover European students do not need a visa to study abroad (in the other countries of the EU).

If the 50 American states were independent countries and the EU counted as a single country the results would be reversed.

ReputationRep:
    I came here just to see London Met mentioned.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by Barbastelle)
    I came here just to see London Met mentioned.
    :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :hat2::hide:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by Barbastelle)
    :hat2::hide:
    Sigh...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The ranking is not based on which university is the best but which one is the most international. So to be clear, Imperial is not better than Oxbridge, it just has more international connections.

ReputationRep:
    Wow I wonder how much TSR was paid for this one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    The ranking is not based on which university is the best but which one is the most international. So to be clear, Imperial is not better than Oxbridge, it just has more international connections.
    these suppositories, I just dissolve them in water?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    these suppositories, I just dissolve them in water?
    What?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No surprise there, fully expected ICL

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.