Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Article: Imperial College London trumps Oxbridge in new university rankings Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyRees)
    Given I wanted to go to an Irish uni and didn't qualify for any of their degrees with A*ABB, I'm a bit surprised to see them nowhere near here at all. I'm lithe to say that's just them thinking they're better than they are, but...

Am a bit happy to see Oxbridge being knocked down a peg, though. Too many people going there just to be disappointed (anecdotal from friends).
    Just came across this now, but about your comment on Irish unis : the grade requirements for Irish people to get into courses at trinity lets say is mostly A*AA A*A*A or A*A*A* equivalent due to admissions being done on a demand system based on points from the Irish leaving certificate. However it has been noted that the teaching standards aren't quite up to scratch with other international universities which means that the top level irish students end up either doing medicine in ireland or leaving to study abroad. Hope that helps clarify your view a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delto99)
    Just came across this now, but about your comment on Irish unis : the grade requirements for Irish people to get into courses at trinity lets say is mostly A*AA A*A*A or A*A*A* equivalent due to admissions being done on a demand system based on points from the Irish leaving certificate. However it has been noted that the teaching standards aren't quite up to scratch with other international universities which means that the top level irish students end up either doing medicine in ireland or leaving to study abroad. Hope that helps clarify your view a bit.
    It does, thank you. Though I'm not optimistic about getting in for postgrad Medicine now, haha.

ReputationRep:
    General rankings are irrelevant. Its what the university is like for the subject area that you are interested in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.