Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So this is currently what's going on, I am currently serving in the armed forces as a royal engineer, after being pushed down this route by my father, I couldn't say no when I saw how proud he was I completed all my training, after the remaining time I have left is completed, I have the idea that I want to go to university, study sports and exercise science and the move on to a Gcp or Qts, Im unsure how to go about this, I studied AS levels prior to joining the army, does anyone know how I could do this and get the career I really want? a PE teacher.
    Its not that the army isn't for me, im flying through all tasks and tests given to me, im due to undertake the Para royal engineers beat up course in a few weeks so fitness isn't an issue either, im just finding that as the older members of the army are leaving (im 21) they are struggling to get another career.

Many thanks for any replies

Dan
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatGuyDann)
    So this is currently what's going on, I am currently serving in the armed forces as a royal engineer, after being pushed down this route by my father, I couldn't say no when I saw how proud he was I completed all my training, after the remaining time I have left is completed, I have the idea that I want to go to university, study sports and exercise science and the move on to a Gcp or Qts, Im unsure how to go about this, I studied AS levels prior to joining the army, does anyone know how I could do this and get the career I really want? a PE teacher.
    Its not that the army isn't for me, im flying through all tasks and tests given to me, im due to undertake the Para royal engineers beat up course in a few weeks so fitness isn't an issue either, im just finding that as the older members of the army are leaving (im 21) they are struggling to get another career.

Dan
    I've moved your thread to a more relevant forum. Hopefully one of the experts here can help.

In the meantime, I thought the army itself would help you with education/university options?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I've moved your thread to a more relevant forum. Hopefully one of the experts here can help.

In the meantime, I thought the army itself would help you with education/university options?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you, I thought the same myself, but they are reluctant to help, im sure for the reason why

ReputationRep:
    First step would be to find out how to top your AS' up to A levels, you should be able to use your education credits to do this easily enough. The degree not gets a little harder. You could start doing it in service, but you'll need support. If your base isn't being great at delivering this then it gets tricky... You need to talk to someone local really.

ReputationRep:

Dan
    Are you at Woodbridge now or still in training?

ReputationRep:
    I left the RE in 2013 and went to uni. I also know someone who only had GCSEs but did an access course to get into uni (whilst in his last 12 months notice period) and is now a primary school teacher.
    I already had A levels so just needed to apply to uni via UCAS.
    We both then used our Enhanced Learning Credits to pay for our tuition fees (£9000 per year) through the ELCAS FE/ HE scheme. Look on enhancedlearningcredits.com and speak to an education centre.
    However, you'll need to have registered with the ELCAS scheme and have served min. 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NFI)
    Are you at Woodbridge now or still in training?
    I'm at Brompton barracks

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Brompton barracks
    Go to the education centre and speak to the staff there. They're pretty helpful and sorted out my leadership and management qualifications I'd never bothered myself to apply for over the years. They definitely have information on university related courses too as they briefed it on a course I was on last year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.