Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help needed for my book! How do teachers address their students in UK nowadays? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm from Belgium and I'm writing a book that is partially set in Wales.

Could anyone tell me how teachers address their students in High School and/or Sixth Form nowadays? Do they call students by their first name or by their last name (e.g. Mr. Smith)?
    What are your experiences? What is common? Is there still a difference between state schools and public schools?

I read some online discussions about students calling their teachers by their first names. Is this a wide spread habit or is it still rather new?

Do you have a personal opinion about how teachers and students should address each other?

Thank you very much for helping me out!

Anna

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it's first names across the board these days, though someone correct me if I'm wrong. Calling teachers by their first names tends to only occur in some colleges I think. But at school you often wouldn't call your teacher by their name all the time, you'd just shout 'Sir' or 'Miss' instead.

ReputationRep:
    a relaxed teacher might refer to the whole class or several pupils as "Guys"

for instance

"Hey Guys the sun is shining, let's do our Algebra on the Playing Field"

ReputationRep:
    a "cool" teacher might refer to teenage boys as "dudes"

"Dude are you telling me that Cos72° is negative ? seriously ?"

ReputationRep:
    My teacher refers to us all as Guys, refers to us individually by name, and often says 'What's up?' and that sort of relaxed lingo. I usually call mine 'Miss' or 'Sir', sometimes Dr for one of my teachers, and rarely by first name.

ReputationRep:
    Generally first names. With exception to one of my teachers today who doesn't know anyones name. He referred to the person sat next to me as "yes you, girl" and pointed at her.

Considering the higher up the education ladder you go the more names they have to remember it's not uncommon for teachers to refer to you by gesturing or implying. Names aren't always that common, nor are they necessary.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Teachers to students: By their first name. Some teachers even said 'darling' (e.g. 'Hey, miss, I have a question.' 'What is it, darling?'). Plural: guys.
    Students to teachers: Depends on the school and level. In secondary school, I always called my teachers 'sir' or 'miss', while in college, I called them by their first name.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.