Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I always found sociology (AQA) really easy to understand, but there is just so much to remember. I managed to memorise all of crime and deviance in a week and got 29/30 on my mock essay. I did this by doing "look, cover and repeat" which I found helped, however when I started doing it for other topics in sociology I found it became like the "I went to the market" game where you remember the things from the start really easily but by the end you can't remember who bought the space ship and who bought the queen, the same is going for this where the more i learn with look, cover repeat the less I remember towards the end. In biology I didn't have this problem because it was hard to understand, but there was less to remember so once you understood it it wasn't too hard to keep in your memory. I also don't have this problem in philosophy because I find it interesting and I really only have to read it once or twice and it's in.

Does anyone have any tips on learning the massive amount of text that I do not find interesting? I also want to pick up this skill for uni next year because I am doing philosophy and I know I can't rely on my interest in the subject for learning all of it.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Flash cards have always worked for me

ReputationRep:
    Two words : Copy work.

Go find a nice fountain pen, buy reams and stacks of lined paper, and just copy the work out. I do Physics and Biology and so far I would have to say I've copied both books out basically entirely once, read over them at least twice-thrice, and just memorise it all as best as I can. Don't take this as just advice to memorise, of course I practice, but ya: it helps.

Doesn't need to be a fountain pen, but it's nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callicious)
    Two words : Copy work.

Go find a nice fountain pen, buy reams and stacks of lined paper, and just copy the work out. I do Physics and Biology and so far I would have to say I've copied both books out basically entirely once, read over them at least twice-thrice, and just memorise it all as best as I can. Don't take this as just advice to memorise, of course I practice, but ya: it helps.

Doesn't need to be a fountain pen, but it's nice.
    thanks! il definitely give that a go. I think writing it out will help me memorise it instead of just doing it verbally.

ReputationRep:
    rea them before sleeping

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.