Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnificat7)
    Thanks for that! I'm assuming your last sentence refers to a firm followed by a near miss - had me wondering there for a minute! As it happens she's doing IB but now I'm curious about your reference to A levels being unknown quantities. Please enlighten me!
    Essentially, for many A-levels (science, humanities, econ, business), they have been reformed and in a nutshell...
    - AS no longer counts, so all exams are linear thus making it far harder to prepare for
    - content has become more challenging
    - grading is different (mainly for A* grades, required by Durham - now only an elite few will get it)

While the new A-level is more difficult, the biggest change is that the AS no longer counts. Predictions are now more based off of GCSE exams and internal mocks, which aren't really as accurate as the AS exams were and many educational experts and universities were infuriated at the reforms. Cambridge were hugely opposed to them and produced a MASSIVE document on why the AS is important.

It is likely far more people this year will be missing their offers, largely for being overambitious based off of GCSE results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Essentially, for many A-levels (science, humanities, econ, business), they have been reformed and in a nutshell...
    - AS no longer counts, so all exams are linear thus making it far harder to prepare for
    - grading is different (mainly for A* grades, required by Durham - now only an elite few will get it)

While the new A-level is more difficult, the biggest change is that the AS no longer counts. Predictions are now more based off of GCSE exams and internal mocks, which aren't really as accurate as the AS exams were and many educational experts and universities were infuriated at the reforms. Cambridge were hugely opposed to them and produced a MASSIVE document on why the AS is important.

It is likely far more people this year will be missing their offers, largely for being overambitious based off of GCSE results.
    Ok, thanks! I am fully aware of the reformed A levels as my daughter's school offers both A levels and IB. I hadn't appreciated that the fallout is assumed to be "far more people this year missing their offers". Considering that A level applicants are now in the same boat as IB applicants, inasmuch as there are only GCSE results on which to base predictions, do you have any stats to suggest that this has, to date, been the case with IB applicants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnificat7)
    Ok, thanks! I am fully aware of the reformed A levels as my daughter's school offers both A levels and IB. I hadn't appreciated that the fallout is assumed to be "far more people this year missing their offers". Considering that A level applicants are now in the same boat as IB applicants, inasmuch as there are only GCSE results on which to base predictions, do you have any stats to suggest that this has, to date, been the case with IB applicants?
    I don't, although there might be something on the depths of UCAS. I'm sure it's not too bad with IB though, the first few years of any new qualification will have its bumps and those teaching IB have probably been able to predict more successfully.

That's one of the potential fallouts, whether or not it materialises is another thing. Admissions tutors may have done a good job in selecting the right people and students, like myself, may have been sensible in their choices.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

:cry2::cry::cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    :cry2::cry::cry2:
    You will definitely be meeting your offer!!! You work so so so so so hard and you're unbelievably talented at what you do!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You will definitely be meeting your offer!!! You work so so so so so hard and you're unbelievably talented at what you do!
    Thanks James :hugs: I can't do English Lit anymore though!!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  1jys3x.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  14.8 KB

Change college name as appropriate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sinisterist)
    Hello there 🙃 I received an offer from Durham only last week, does this mean that I will receive my college allocation later than others?

Hiya,

I got my offer last week too - but was allocated a place at a college the day after getting my offer, so I guess it could be any time now that colleges have started accepting too?

ReputationRep:
    Got my offer in January but still no allocation mail 😦😧

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesarcasticone)
    Call them up.

ReputationRep:
    Well they said that those given an offer before Feb 1st would get an allocation before March 1st. There's still 8 days for them to get back to you within the time stipulated - hang in there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatusStarbright)
    Well they said that those given an offer before Feb 1st would get an allocation before March 1st. There's still 8 days for them to get back to you within the time stipulated - hang in there!
    Same boat. My daughter received her offer in October and still no email. The open day booking link shows St. John's (reallocated from st chads), but I want the actual email before booking flights for open day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remaxmac)
    Same boat. My daughter received her offer in October and still no email. The open day booking link shows St. John's (reallocated from st chads), but I want the actual email before booking flights for open day.
    I finally received the e-mail! I got St. John's as well (although I have no idea as to what it's like).

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me what St. John's is like? All I know is that it's small and religious ( laughed for 5 mins straight after reading this since I happen to be an atheist lol), I want to know what it's like in terms of vibe,location, etc. xx

ReputationRep:
    Stephenson allocation for Finance!!! Is anyone else doing a finance related course at stephenson?

Pffffft, people in Durham city happy because they only have a 10 minute walk to their lecture, my lecture hall will be less than a 1 min walk.

ReputationRep:
    Allocated to Van Mildert (I originally let the university decide for me on my UCAS application).

ReputationRep:
    I got allocated St Chad's and so has a friend. I picked it at random because I was so overwhelmed with the choice but I had no idea there was a 70% chance of sharing a room.

Anyone else have an issue with the pricing?? A shared room at Bath (and that's down south so pricey af) is £75 a week but at Durham is works out at about £230a week!?

Also, anyone doing Education Studies with Psychology??

ReputationRep:
    St Cuths for History!

ReputationRep:
    (Sorry if I'm posting this on more than one thread but this is urgent so..)
    For those planning to stay overnight for the post-offer visit day, are you bringing your parents?

Cause I was under the impression that the visit day was only for the applicants, but my mum pointed out that they usually cater for parents as well so now I'm confused 🙈🙈

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonnyP21)
    Got allocated to Van Mildert for Politics and Philosophy. Applied to Castle, but wasn't expecting much, and VM was actually my second choice! Anyone else?
    Van Mildert for Law

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.