Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonnyP21)
    Got allocated to Van Mildert for Politics and Philosophy. Applied to Castle, but wasn't expecting much, and VM was actually my second choice! Anyone else?
    Got Van Mildert for sociology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sinisterist)
    (Sorry if I'm posting this on more than one thread but this is urgent so..)
    For those planning to stay overnight for the post-offer visit day, are you bringing your parents?

Cause I was under the impression that the visit day was only for the applicants, but my mum pointed out that they usually cater for parents as well so now I'm confused 🙈🙈
    No your parents shouldn't be coming, and that's the case for most post offer days unless they have a separate programme for parents. AFAIK Durham don't have anything scheduled for parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesarcasticone)
    Can anyone tell me what St. John's is like? All I know is that it's small and religious ( laughed for 5 mins straight after reading this since I happen to be an atheist lol), I want to know what it's like in terms of vibe,location, etc. xx
    Another Johnian!! I'm a bit worried about the religious aspect, even though it's non compulsory - but it actually looks like a pretty good college! I'm really excited to see it

Are you going on one of the residentials?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    No your parents shouldn't be coming, and that's the case for most post offer days unless they have a separate programme for parents. AFAIK Durham don't have anything scheduled for parents.
    That's what I thought too! But in the visit day schedule at 4:30 it is:-

'Short presentation in the Senate Room by The Vice-Master & Senior Tutor, Richard Lawrie, and our Chaplain, Hannah Cleugh, for parents, followed by a tour of the College.'

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought too! But in the visit day schedule at 4:30 it is:-

'Short presentation in the Senate Room by The Vice-Master & Senior Tutor, Richard Lawrie, and our Chaplain, Hannah Cleugh, for parents, followed by a tour of the College.'
    Hmmmm. Considering it's just one thing and it's 'short' I doubt they'd miss much, they only need to know what you either already know or what you're going to be told yourself.

If you parents haven't been to Durham yet to look around, it might be worth it but otherwise I don't see much point

ReputationRep:
    It gives more information about the open day including parent only sessions in the following post offer open day information booklet:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/post...ide31.1.17.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any others here allocated to Hild Bede?

ReputationRep:
    (Sorry if I'm posting this on more than one thread but this is urgent so..)
    For those planning to stay overnight for the post-offer visit day, are you bringing your parents?

Cause I was under the impression that the visit day was only for the applicants, but my mum pointed out that they usually cater for parents as well so now I'm confused 🙈🙈
    no aha I am most definitely not bringing my mum that would be a nightmare :')

ReputationRep:
    I finally received the e-mail! I got St. John's as well (although I have no idea as to what it's like).
    She finally received hers, too! She has no idea what it's like either and was initially put off by the religious aspects, but after reading through some comments here on other threads, it doesn't seem in your face. Still, I think we're going to try to fly out there for the Monday night residential stay. We live in California, so it's not exactly an easy jaunt, but I figure it's better to make an informed decision now. She just received an offer from UCL, so not getting St. Chad's opened the door on that a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remaxmac)
    She finally received hers, too! She has no idea what it's like either and was initially put off by the religious aspects, but after reading through some comments here on other threads, it doesn't seem in your face. Still, I think we're going to try to fly out there for the Monday night residential stay. We live in California, so it's not exactly an easy jaunt, but I figure it's better to make an informed decision now. She just received an offer from UCL, so not getting St. Chad's opened the door on that a little.
    St John's is apparently VERY similar to St Chad's, the only real difference is that it doesn't have that conservatory thing and that it's more religious - but the religion is optional, and coming from America it might not seem that bad.

ReputationRep:
    St John's is apparently VERY similar to St Chad's, the only real difference is that it doesn't have that conservatory thing and that it's more religious - but the religion is optional, and coming from America it might not seem that bad.
    Exactly!!! When she heard "religious," she was thinking Bible-belt born again Christians, which I don't there are a lot of over there Great to hear on similarities--that's what I'd thought base on what I'd read, but nice to have confirmation.

ReputationRep:
    St Cuth's for PPE

ReputationRep:
    Another Johnian!! I'm a bit worried about the religious aspect, even though it's non compulsory - but it actually looks like a pretty good college! I'm really excited to see it

Are you going on one of the residentials?
    Well that's a relief haha! Tbh I'm used to it, being an atheist in an extremely religious family lol...I can't visit since I'm an international *sigh* I really wanted to see how many ensuite rooms they have( that was the only reason I requested st Chad's,and location), if you go, do tell me what the vibe is like!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that's amazing! What course did she apply for? I'm waiting on UCL too.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that's amazing! What course did she apply for? I'm waiting on UCL too.
    Archaeology! She's super excited. She has an unconditional from Durham, but the UCL was conditional (2 more AP tests). That means she would have to wait until those scores come out in July, which isn't super appealing to her. We'll see. I'm staying out of it I'll cross my fingers for you. I saw in the comment above that you applied to St. Chads, too--that was also her first choice. She liked the # of ensuites as well. In the US sharing a room is part of the freshman college experience so that wasn't a big deal to her--I think she'd actually prefer it. Are you doing an open day overnight? She's signed up for March 20-21.

ReputationRep:
    Archaeology! She's super excited. She has an unconditional from Durham, but the UCL was conditional (2 more AP tests). That means she would have to wait until those scores come out in July, which isn't super appealing to her. We'll see. I'm staying out of it I'll cross my fingers for you. I saw in the comment above that you applied to St. Chads, too--that was also her first choice. She liked the # of ensuites as well. In the US sharing a room is part of the freshman college experience so that wasn't a big deal to her--I think she'd actually prefer it. Are you doing an open day overnight? She's signed up for March 20-21.
    Oh, no, I'm an international so visiting isn't really isn't really possible for me.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, no, I'm an international so visiting isn't really isn't really possible for me.
    Totally get that! She's international, to, and it's going to be really hard for her to get away in the middle of the semester. Tickets are priced well right now though so that's a good thing

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I will be a postgraduate student starting in October. I live nearby and was wondering if college life is for me.

A little about me, I am probably the biggest introvert that you will ever meet, I am shy and like to keep to myself. But I really want to move out for many reasons. One of which is that I live in a very unsupportive home. I wouldn't be awkward around people, but I have bad anxiety and I was wondering if college life could be for me still. I kind of just want to keep to myself and make my own food in the kitchens, basically just move out of my current home. Hopefully over time my confidence will grow again ( staying at home will never help with that ). The reason I ask if college will be okay for me is because I don't want to ruin other peoples college life by being the only person not getting involved in things. I hope with time that I do, but I would probably say no to nights out all of the time and dinners out, not out of rudeness, just because of anxiety. Like I mentioned, I hope with time that I would be better and get to know more people.

I am not sure if people get to know each other beforehand but I have been writing for a while about SJW, feminism, Equality, and how bad I think the current examination system is and I like cooking, dancing, and travelling. I hope someone can help me with this and I won't be upset if someone tells me college life won't be for me. Sorry I hope this is not an awkward post to answer.

ReputationRep:
    Found out I got my first choice of Hatfield to study law, so happy !! x

ReputationRep:
    Allocated to Josephine Butler for History, not particularly happy ngl but going to check it out on the post offer day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.