Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    Is anyone here going to the Hatfield ( or any other college with a formal on the open day ) open day, and if so what are you wearing?

My greatest fear in life is either being very over or under dressed.

Hi was wondering the same. Asked my friend and they said prospective Hatfielders should have received a welcome letter from the college with a link to their Facebook group and you can ask on there if you want to make sure what their definition of 'smart' is. I think they want smart 'business' style wear e.g. Suit for a guy and skirt/blouse or dress for a girl. I don't think they want anything too formal so no DJs or ball gowns.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone going to a residential visit next week?
    I'm going on the 20th-21st at Collingwood.
    Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OturuDansay)
    Is anyone going to a residential visit next week?
    I'm going on the 20th-21st at Collingwood.
    Anyone else?
    I am!! same days as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if you have to dress formally for the St Cuthbert's post-offer dinner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gh0527)
    I am!! same days as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awesome!
    Do you know if we have to dress formally for the dinner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OturuDansay)
    Awesome!
    Do you know if we have to dress formally for the dinner?
    I don't think so, they didn't mention it in their emails or facebook group haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gh0527)
    I don't think so, they didn't mention it in their emails or facebook group haha
    Ahhh okay, thank you!
    I'll see you Monday!

ReputationRep:
    Recently accepted onto the MA English course. I saw Brackenbury had significantly cheaper standard en-suite rooms than everywhere else so it's a no-brainer for me.

Two questions:
    On the application form, how important is the "tell us about yourself" section? I'm there to live....what do they want from me? Do they want some spiel about how I'll join all the societies and party with the freshers every night? I'll be 23 years old, get off my lawn

Where the hell is Brackenbury? Can't seem to find it on google maps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex-B)
    Recently accepted onto the MA English course. I saw Brackenbury had significantly cheaper standard en-suite rooms than everywhere else so it's a no-brainer for me.

Two questions:
    On the application form, how important is the "tell us about yourself" section? I'm there to live....what do they want from me? Do they want some spiel about how I'll join all the societies and party with the freshers every night? I'll be 23 years old, get off my lawn

Where the hell is Brackenbury? Can't seem to find it on google maps.

Umm the "tell us about yourself" bit is probably done so to aid them in ensuring that you and your potential flat mates are compatible when they do the accommodation allocations.

So what if you're 23? Really don't think anyone is trying to get 'on' your lawn, don't worry

ReputationRep:
    How does college reallocation work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petteter)
    How does college reallocation work?
    Reallocation means that you have no longer been guaranteed a place at your previously allocated college for whatever reason, but hold a place in the Uni, as a result they will put you into whichever college that still has places.

This is done randomly, but obviously by then the more 'popular' colleges are usually full so it is highly unlikely that you will be allocated to those. In my opinion, people are usually reallocated to one of the hill colleges cause a couple of the bailey colleges are often oversubscribed. 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sinisterist)
    Reallocation means that you have no longer been guaranteed a place at your previously allocated college for whatever reason, but hold a place in the Uni, as a result they will put you into whichever college that still has places.

This is done randomly, but obviously by then the more 'popular' colleges are usually full so it is highly unlikely that you will be allocated to those. In my opinion, people are usually reallocated to one of the hill colleges cause a couple of the bailey colleges are often oversubscribed. 😊
    Why does this occur? I really don't want to lose my place at my college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortoises172)
    Why does this occur? I really don't want to lose my place at my college.
    College reallocation occurs because each college has a quota for students from each subject to fulfil; they can't exceed that quota. But if you've already been offered a place then you won't be reallocated unless you don't reach the exact grades Durham want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soooo0)
    College reallocation occurs because each college has a quota for students from each subject to fulfil; they can't exceed that quota. But if you've already been offered a place then you won't be reallocated unless you don't reach the exact grades Durham want.
    Oh right it's just that I've heard a few people get reallocated after results? It's rare and also my college isn't super small so I think it's unlikely for me (plus I've done my A Levels so my offer is unconditional). I just thought you were talking about that not reallocation from your first choice when colleges are allocated.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right it's just that I've heard a few people get reallocated after results? It's rare and also my college isn't super small so I think it's unlikely for me (plus I've done my A Levels so my offer is unconditional). I just thought you were talking about that not reallocation from your first choice when colleges are allocated.
    Oh yeah it's basically definite you won't get reallocated if you've already got the grades, I think it's just for people who got equivalent grades and not the ones Durham asked for. What college did you get allocated to??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soooo0)
    Oh yeah it's basically definite you won't get reallocated if you've already got the grades, I think it's just for people who got equivalent grades and not the ones Durham asked for. What college did you get allocated to??
    St Cuth's. I know it's not a crazily popular one but I just like it and it is a bailey college so I don't want to lose it.

ReputationRep:
    St Cuth's. I know it's not a crazily popular one but I just like it and it is a bailey college so I don't want to lose it.
    I'm at st cuths too🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh awesome, do you think you will firm it?
    (Original post by Nyathigiz)
    I'm at st cuths too🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh awesome, do you think you will firm it?
    Probably but I still haven't made up my mind. You???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Received an unconditional to study Psychology at St Chad's (I already completed my A-levels last year). Anyone else applied to study Psychology, to Chad's, or even Psychology at Chad's?

There's a thread for Chad's applicants (link below), and I may set one up for psychology applicants if there's not already one up.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...rimary_content

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.