Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachCoon109)
    I got allocated St Chad's and so has a friend. I picked it at random because I was so overwhelmed with the choice but I had no idea there was a 70% chance of sharing a room.

Anyone else have an issue with the pricing?? A shared room at Bath (and that's down south so pricey af) is £75 a week but at Durham is works out at about £230a week!?

Also, anyone doing Education Studies with Psychology??
    I'm in a similar situation. I used to go to Stirling (dropped out after a semester to reapply to Durham), and my accommodation there was £5,500/year (the most expensive in the uni), but that was newly built (one year old), and had single, decent sized ensuite rooms.

St Chad's on the other hand is, like, £7,000/year for the most basic shared accommodation. Hopefully there will be plenty of scholarships available, or many people are going to be priced out. I suppose you could always ask them, too. Their motto is 'non vestra sed vos' ('not yours but you') and is supposed to represent its inclusiveness and support for people from all backgrounds, regardless of income, etc. Fingers crossed it'll live up to this.

If you're interested, there's a thread for St Chad's applicants (link below). I'm doing Psychology as a single honours.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4418390

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nyathigiz)
    Probably but I still haven't made up my mind. You???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I already have I applied after A Levels and it was really the only place I was interested in going other than maybe UCL so not much of a decision haha

ReputationRep:
    Interesting effects of the allocation system. The hill colleges are well placed for sciences students. So presumably more sciences apply to Hill colleges. But Durham wants an even spread by subject so it sends science people to the colleges at the bottom. Forcing them to do the mile uphill 2-3 times a day. At the same time arts students are forced to do the same walk in reverse - fair for the university but unfair for the individual.

Even more peculiar is how Hatfield ends up with 42% state school occupancy and Grey College has 69%. Apartheid?

ReputationRep:
    I got allocated to Trevs. I was just wondering if you can go to other colleges formals or can you only go your colleges ones? Also what is trevs like for social life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikikeen)
    I'm an international student who has been allocated to Hatfield College for Psychology. Only just realised it's the 'most hated' college at Durham haha... should this affect my decision to come to Durham?
    No!! lmao I'm an international student that got allocated to Hatfield too. It's a great college with tons of spirit- the hate is for fun.

ReputationRep:
    I got allocated Van Mildert to study Modern languages, anyone else similar? Or does anyone know anything about it as a college? Thanks! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pars12)
    Interesting effects of the allocation system. The hill colleges are well placed for sciences students. So presumably more sciences apply to Hill colleges. But Durham wants an even spread by subject so it sends science people to the colleges at the bottom. Forcing them to do the mile uphill 2-3 times a day. At the same time arts students are forced to do the same walk in reverse - fair for the university but unfair for the individual.

Even more peculiar is how Hatfield ends up with 42% state school occupancy and Grey College has 69%. Apartheid?
    Apartheid? Are you daft

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jct1993)
    Apartheid? Are you daft
    Apartheid was an elitism based on race. I dislike all forms of elitism. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pars12)
    Apartheid was an elitism based on race. I dislike all forms of elitism. How about you?
    Interestingly enough people were persecuted, tortured, and killed under apartheid. If I'm not mistaken, that has yet to happen at Durham. False equivalence perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    Love how we're beefing before we've even started uni

ReputationRep:
    Me, a South African, just sitting here with popcorn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quinnthequail)
    Interestingly enough people were persecuted, tortured, and killed under apartheid. If I'm not mistaken, that has yet to happen at Durham. False equivalence perhaps?
    All forms big or small, but I take your point. I was at the Barclays picket, I doubt if I will be picketing the Castle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marechanics)
    I got allocated Van Mildert to study Modern languages, anyone else similar? Or does anyone know anything about it as a college? Thanks! x
    I've been allocated Van Mildert for Modern Languages, too. 😊 I did an overnight stay there a couple of months back and it was really nice, it's one of the larger colleges and their accommodation is fully catered. They have a great bar, too. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The university mistake my application and thought i wasn't going this year, but I am, so they didn't kept my accommodation offer and now i'm on a waiting list, i'm a postgraduate student. Do you think i will make it to college accommodation or should i be desperately looking for private accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feña)
    The university mistake my application and thought i wasn't going this year, but I am, so they didn't kept my accommodation offer and now i'm on a waiting list, i'm a postgraduate student. Do you think i will make it to college accommodation or should i be desperately looking for private accommodation?
    Phone up the office, ask if you've been allocated to a college yet and ask whether college accommodation has all been taken. I would start looking at private or student-type accommodation at this point as well - luckily Durham is on the cheaper side.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Thank you everyone ,this forum has been uterly helpful to me and many others.

There are few things I am still confused about, I wonder if you can help.

I just received an email saying I have been allocated a shared room in Plamers Garth ( Hatfield college) and that is about it. I don't have any vital informations like, residence agreement form, details about the room, prices etc. Should I expecting more, importantly, am I missing something here?

I hope you can help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaleVip)
    Hey guys,

Thank you everyone ,this forum has been uterly helpful to me and many others.

There are few things I am still confused about, I wonder if you can help.

I just received an email saying I have been allocated a shared room in Plamers Garth ( Hatfield college) and that is about it. I don't have any vital informations like, residence agreement form, details about the room, prices etc. Should I expecting more, importantly, am I missing something here?

I hope you can help!
    Idk if it's like this at every college but you should have got an email asking you to formally accept your accommodation offer (and this should include the estimated price). Other than accepting the accommodation package, I don't believe they send any additional information about the room so if you have questions about what they provide you should email hatfield.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.