Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nao123)
    anyone else at hatfield?
    Me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grantchester)
    I've been allocated to Grey too and I'm trying to find out a little bit more about it as well. Grey was founded in 1959 and is a Hill College and so is a 20-minute walk from Cathedral Green with the Cathedral, the Pemberton Rooms (the venue for debates held by the Durham Union Society), the Palace Green Library, etc... It is a 7-minute walk from the Bill Bryson Library and is located near the science site and the University Botanic Gardens. The college has its own shop and chapel and apparently has one of the best college bars in Durham and a very good college gym for cardio and weights. Only 8% of first year undergraduates have to share rooms at Grey College and 12% of first year undergraduates have ensuite rooms. In my opinion, Grey has one of the best dining rooms of any of the colleges in Durham (search Grey College Durham dining hall to see the wood-panelled room with its paintings and 350 seats) which is the venue for its regular formal halls. Grey is the seventh largest college in Durham with 939 undergraduates and 117 postgraduates (a total of 1,056 students). Its Junior Common Room has the largest TV of any college in Durham and the college has a particularly strong reputation for the arts, theatre, sport and music. It has two music practice rooms, two grand pianos, an activity room, a fully functioning performance stage and its own college library with 7,000 books which is open 24/7. I hope this helps.
    Cheers, sounds alright! What will you be studying? And will Durham be your firm choice?

ReputationRep:
    Collingwood anyone?? V happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    I'm at Greys college - very happy
    Yay, me too!

(Original post by chazlotte132)
    Grey college for law ☺
    I'm exactly the same as you - Grey for Law.

(Original post by tsr.capo)
    Just got my allocation - Grey College. I had submitted an open application (no college preference), since I had, and still have, never been to an open day. I'll probably go to the post-offer day in March, I might stay overnight too since I live in Brighton. Any opinions on Grey College?
    I applied for and have been allocated Grey and it's honestly so lovely. There's a music room, an excellent college bar, the dining room is lovely with wooden paneling and red chairs (I'm sure there are pictures online). It has also has a massive TV in the JCR. Accommodation is nice and clean, rooms of decent enough size and barely any people share rooms. The few shared rooms are really big. The college also has two gym rooms and it's own library. If I remember correctly - don't quote me on this - all first years are guaranteed college accommodation, most second years live out but still remain a member of the college community and there are rooms for third years who want to live in again for their final year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatusStarbright)
    Yay, me too!

I'm exactly the same as you - Grey for Law.

I applied for and have been allocated Grey and it's honestly so lovely. There's a music room, an excellent college bar, the dining room is lovely with wooden paneling and red chairs (I'm sure there are pictures online). It has also has a massive TV in the JCR. Accommodation is nice and clean, rooms of decent enough size and barely any people share rooms. The few shared rooms are really big. The college also has two gym rooms and it's own library. If I remember correctly - don't quote me on this - all first years are guaranteed college accommodation, most second years live out but still remain a member of the college community and there are rooms for third years who want to live in again for their final year.
    Really hope I don't lose my place at Grey's because I'm insuring it

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't think so, but I suppose it's possible. I'll either be firming Durham or declining it completely, so insurance isn't an issue for me. I know you got a Cambridge offer - well done!

ReputationRep:
    Their official policy is that they won't guarantee the college for people who near miss, or insure. However, one of the only valid reasons to ask to be reallocated (even if it's just because you don't like the one you're given) is that you have special requirements i.e. a disability. Therefore, my guess would be that you are one of the few who would get to keep their college.

Although, hopefully you'll never need it, as you'll be going to Cambridge
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't think so, but I suppose it's possible. I'll either be firming Durham or declining it completely, so insurance isn't an issue for me. I know you got a Cambridge offer - well done!
    Should I email the Uni/College or just ask on the visit day? I don't wanna seem arrogant 'cos' it's likely I miss my Cambridge offer and Durham is perfectly good in its own right but yeah...

ReputationRep:
    Should I email the Uni/College or just ask on the visit day? I don't wanna seem arrogant 'cos' it's likely I miss my Cambridge offer and Durham is perfectly good in its own right but yeah...
    I'd probably just ask on the visit day. If I remember correctly, you're Cambridge offer is A*A*A, right? That's so mean!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably just ask on the visit day. If I remember correctly, you're Cambridge offer is A*A*A, right? That's so mean!
    Yeah! I'm not going to meet it... but I'm working like a dog for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJP98)
    Me
    Coool, what subject are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    Got College of St Hild & St Bede and I applied to read Law.
    Don't know how to feel about that... How's the college? I shouldn't have opted for an open application but oh well ;-;

ReputationRep:
    Got into Van Mildert for sociology, I did an open application so I don't really mind where I was placed, but I'm probably going to firm Durham. Anyone who knows what it's like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grantchester)
    Well done! I'm almost 100% sure I'm going to firm it but, just to be absolutely sure, I'm going on one of the visit days and I think I'll make the final decision after that. How about you? - are you going to firm it? I'm an offer holder for Theology and Religion - how about you?
    Congrats! My offer is for Physics and Astronomy. So far Durham is the only Uni that has replied to me (although I did get interviewed at Imperial a few weeks ago, still no decision), so I'm not sure whether Durham is going to end up being my firm or my insurance. Hopefully the post offer day on March 20-21 will make me reach a verdict

ReputationRep:
    Got University College for Law today, anyone else get castle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nao123)
    Coool, what subject are you studying?
    English and Education, you?x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJP98)
    English and Education, you?x
    Nice; i'm studying maths.

ReputationRep:
    Applied to Mary's and got John's.

Don't know how to feel...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anthony1103)
    Got University College for Law today, anyone else get castle?
    yeahh for english lit

ReputationRep:
    got castle for english lit will be insuring durham though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.