Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can anyone believe that there is a left wing bias in the media? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Absolutely, they should when needed to. And if the Telegraph doesn't, the Guardian should, just simply without the melodrama.

Hmm. That is a dubious headline, although to be fair having googled it the article itself is hardly sensationalist on Guardian levels, where every article seemingly has to check off a list of buzzwords to use including 'racist, xenophobic, chilling, sinister, draconian, evil, white privilege, alt-right, hate speech' and include a quote from an immigrant about how they now fear for their lives.

True dat.
    I would say that the right knows this about the Telegraph, and most of us don't pretend otherwise. It's the Torygraph and we know it.

Addressed partly in my other response.
    Channel 4 I agree leans left. ITV I don't watch enough to make an opinion. BBC centre right economically and centre left socially, in my opinion. SKY news seems reasonably balanced too.

ReputationRep:
    Right wing people are not very bright and usually dishonest so should not be in the media, for example, most of the fake news sites are run by right wing people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    The BBC has declared war on Trump, there is no other way to describe it.
    Oh there is, it's called having a brain and being prepared to call out bull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Right wing people are not very bright and usually dishonest so should not be in the media, for example, most of the fake news sites are run by right wing people.
    Hardly. The left falls hook, line and sinker for staged pallywood propaganda all the time. I'm also pretty sure literally every single high profile case featured in the media about pro-Trump hate crimes after the election has turned out to be fabricated or a hoax.
    Left-wing media also likes to spin the narrative, turning violent left-wing riots into peaceful protests with minor disturbances, hasher visa vetting for seven countries into a Muslim ban, a reduction in benefits as a bedroom tax etc. which imo is just as disingenuous as when the right falls for or pushes a false fact (not that the right isn't also guilty of changing the narrative).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    i agree with that.

It comes from how left and right view their opponents. The right can be harshly aggressive, especially in the US, and highly insulting. But we don't think having a particular political view makes us morally better than our opponents. We think we are right and they wrong, but we are not better human beings.
    Nonsense. The right calls the left traitors and enemies of the state. It calls them 'terrorist sympathisers'. People on the right clearly do think they are morally superior to those on the left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Hardly. The left falls hook, line and sinker for staged pallywood propaganda all the time. I'm also pretty sure literally every single high profile case featured in the media about pro-Trump hate crimes after the election has turned out to be fabricated or a hoax.
    Left-wing media also likes to spin the narrative, turning violent left-wing riots into peaceful protests with minor disturbances, hasher visa vetting for seven countries into a Muslim ban, a reduction in benefits as a bedroom tax etc. which imo is just as disingenuous as when the right falls for or pushes a false fact (not that the right isn't also guilty of changing the narrative).
    Did I mention they are also very gullible and believe anything however outlandish that reinforces their biases as per the above.

ReputationRep:
    Its so clear. The (((media))) is consistently anti-trump and leftist. Trump does something reasonable, the media spins it into racism, hatred, misogyny, all that crap. But when Obama did something, you never heard this sort of criticism. The only msm outlet that doesn't **** trump over is probably fox news. CNN and BBC are the worst- constantly whining about Trump and portraying him in a bad light, using fake news to support their ridiculous claims about him. Just look at the golden showers crud, zero evidence yet got far more traction than pizzagate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Did I mention they are also very gullible and believe anything however outlandish that reinforces their biases as per the above.
    And yet, ironically, in both your posts you've literally just waffled generic rhetoric, where as I've cited specific instances to support my argument.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.