Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Quality of aerospace and mechanical engineering school resources and equipment Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello

This may not sound very diplomatic but here it is.

I would like to know which UK universities have the best equipment and access to the best resources for aerospace and mechanical engineering students?

For example I presume easy access to a real wind tunnel might be considered a distinct advantage compared to running some simulation on a computer.

In particular how would we rank the following unis:

Brighton, Oxford Brookes, Plymouth in the above terms ?

If anyone has any experience please let me know.

Many thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rallen)
    Hello

This may not sound very diplomatic but here it is.

I would like to know which UK universities have the best equipment and access to the best resources for aerospace and mechanical engineering students?

For example I presume easy access to a real wind tunnel might be considered a distinct advantage compared to running some simulation on a computer.

In particular how would we rank the following unis:

Brighton, Oxford Brookes, Plymouth in the above terms ?

If anyone has any experience please let me know.

Many thanks
    Brighton - wind tunnel - tick
    https://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/s...beng-hons.aspx

Oxford Brookes - wind tunnel - tick
    http://mems.brookes.ac.uk/facilities/

Plymouth - wind tunnel - tick
    http://www6.plymouth.ac.uk/files/ext...ing%202013.pdf

Also (although it doesn't seem to be a complete list).
    http://www.ati.org.uk/technology/wind-tunnels/

ReputationRep:
    I'd say a real wind tunnel isn't a massive advantage as a learning tool for aerospace engineers. In your career most aerodynamics work is going to be done on computers and then confirmed in a wind tunnel, plus the real wind tunnel is much easier to analyse as you only need to monitor and control physical variables whereas in CFD you have those plus much more complex modelling and adaptations. Also a lot of unis may advertise they have a wind tunnel but you'll probably only use it once while at uni or they will be very small tunnels (which are absolutely awful because they get disturbed very easily).

My recommendation would be look for universities which have workshops that are open to students, those will generally be the ones which provide you with good equipment and show you how to use it. However you will need to do a lot of investigating to find this out as they often have quite complex rules about when you can use the workshop which sometimes means they don't advertise it, or conversely they might advertise it but you also might not really be able to use it.

ReputationRep:
    for pure equipment, Southampton is pretty good. This is because they already had a solid engineering department however recently built a new engineering only campus so there's more equipment. Abundance of wind tunnels. in one of my labs, it was 3 people per wind tunnel (they were smallers ones), including a big one which can fit real formula 1 cars. also has 3 workshops open to students (laser cutting is free, 3d printing isnt).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.