Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'd like to ask about my situation for applying for postgraduate loan, which might be a bit complicated! I am 33 years old, a dual Australian/UK citizen (by birth) and have lived in the UK for 10 years now. The first 6 years, I lived in London with family, and I consider this to be 'home' in the UK. I then moved to Scotland, and whilst there I completed a HND. I then chose to do a part-time 'top-up' degree year through the University of Hertfordshire's online provider IDI. I returned to London in July of last year, to the same address I had lived at previously. I have just completed my undergraduate study with Herts/IDI, and would like to continue to post graduate study in September this year. I am interested in studying a Masters course at Cardiff School of Art (Wales) and would like to know if I would be eligible for the PGL if I study outside of England. If so, would I need to wait until accepted to Cardiff, or the start of semester, to move? Or could I move any time this year and still be eligible?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fancylucyjane)
    Hello, I'd like to ask about my situation for applying for postgraduate loan, which might be a bit complicated! I am 33 years old, a dual Australian/UK citizen (by birth) and have lived in the UK for 10 years now. The first 6 years, I lived in London with family, and I consider this to be 'home' in the UK. I then moved to Scotland, and whilst there I completed a HND. I then chose to do a part-time 'top-up' degree year through the University of Hertfordshire's online provider IDI. I returned to London in July of last year, to the same address I had lived at previously. I have just completed my undergraduate study with Herts/IDI, and would like to continue to post graduate study in September this year. I am interested in studying a Masters course at Cardiff School of Art (Wales) and would like to know if I would be eligible for the PGL if I study outside of England. If so, would I need to wait until accepted to Cardiff, or the start of semester, to move? Or could I move any time this year and still be eligible?
    Hi there,

This sounds fine. If you're a British national, you can study anywhere in the UK an still receive the postgraduate loan. It's up to you when you move, but we'd recommend making an application as soon as possible to ensure you're eligible. (Based on what you wrote above, you will likely meet the criteria, but we'll need an application to be sure).

Also, the applications are expected to open in late February/early March.

Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.