Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Could you guys suggest me any ideas for the theme 'Beginning and end' for this years Art Gcse 2017? Thank you so much in advance!

ReputationRep:
    What are your interests ie: sport, music etc

ReputationRep:
    I'm also doing the same theme - Edexcel?

Have a look through the exam paper cos they do give you inspo and yes, it depends what you're interested in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alicezworld)
    I'm also doing the same theme - Edexcel?

Have a look through the exam paper cos they do give you inspo and yes, it depends what you're interested in...
    Yes, I'm basically also doing Edexcel😂.
    I did loook through the paper, it's just that I am really stressed about it all, like developing an idea.. And i want it to be unique, different.

Firstly, I had an idea about painting myself lying underwater, but then I have no idea how that would like to the theme., [ even though there's this artist included in the exam paper that painted herself in water/behind wet glass..].

Then, guess what.. I nad am idea about painting the bottom half of a normal, uneaten fish and painting the top half of it as just fish bones.. {if you get what I mean, hopefully.. ugh, I'm just all over the place and the ideas a bit too basic..}

And, I also had an idea in painting my face in acrylic, then peeling it halfway off, then painting that.. but then how does that link to the theme 🙄😒.

Do you have any ideas on what you might be doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hajra Momoniat)
    What are your interests ie: sport, music etc
    My interests are: cooking/baking, nature, photography underwater/in water, photoshop..

I was thinking about painting something, which one half of the thing would look like it looked at the beginning, then the other half of it would be painted like it would look like in the end.. Or paint myself being under water, but then I don't know how that could link in with the theme..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nataliasx)
    My interests are: cooking/baking, nature, photography underwater/in water, photoshop..

I was thinking about painting something, which one half of the thing would look like it looked at the beginning, then the other half of it would be painted like it would look like in the end.. Or paint myself being under water, but then I don't know how that could link in with the theme..
    What I was thinking was about nature and water linked together you could do the process that a baby turtle goes through from hatching to first entering the water. So the beginning would be hatching out of the egg with some intermediates like getting out of the sand and predators such as eagles trying to get it etc and the end would be swimming in the water. Likewise you can do it for a penguin.

For water you could do the start of a river which would be the upper course and the end of the river which would be the lower course.

You could also do the titanic where the beginning could be when it sets sail and the end would be the titanic sinking. For this one you could do a specific character where he/she was born to a family with such a status either rich or poor (poor would be better I think because it would express emotion a lot more). The intermediates could be that they make a status for themselves by having a fantastic occupation at the time of 1912 and waving to their family goodbye but it was a farewell forever and then the end is the sinking.

For nature you could do the beginning and end of earth as an evolutionary pathway.

You could also do Pompeii where the beginning was the city of Pompeii being all calm and settled and the end would be mount Vesuvius erupting and causing mayhem all over the city.

You could do a plant from when it was a seed to a bud and then into a lovely flower

You could a formation of a water fall

I wish I could do art right now but hope all these ideas help and sorry for any weird ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hajra Momoniat)
    What I was thinking was about nature and water linked together you could do the process that a baby turtle goes through from hatching to first entering the water. So the beginning would be hatching out of the egg with some intermediates like getting out of the sand and predators such as eagles trying to get it etc and the end would be swimming in the water. Likewise you can do it for a penguin.

For water you could do the start of a river which would be the upper course and the end of the river which would be the lower course.

You could also do the titanic where the beginning could be when it sets sail and the end would be the titanic sinking. For this one you could do a specific character where he/she was born to a family with such a status either rich or poor (poor would be better I think because it would express emotion a lot more). The intermediates could be that they make a status for themselves by having a fantastic occupation at the time of 1912 and waving to their family goodbye but it was a farewell forever and then the end is the sinking.

For nature you could do the beginning and end of earth as an evolutionary pathway.

You could also do Pompeii where the beginning was the city of Pompeii being all calm and settled and the end would be mount Vesuvius erupting and causing mayhem all over the city.

You could do a plant from when it was a seed to a bud and then into a lovely flower

You could a formation of a water fall

I wish I could do art right now but hope all these ideas help and sorry for any weird ones
    Thank you so much, the ideas are amazing!!
    And as I am doing A levels next year, I decided to pick 'photography' instead of 'art', because I think that i'd enjoy photography more.. .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nataliasx)
    Thank you so much, the ideas are amazing!!
    And as I am doing A levels next year, I decided to pick 'photography' instead of 'art', because I think that i'd enjoy photography more.. .
    Np. I just miss art gcse soo much

Glad you liked the ideas

ReputationRep:
    i think the theme is beginning and/or end (that's what it is for the edexcel course i'm doing), so you could do one or the other or both, which opens up more options. searching the topic on pinterest and making a board based on everything you like from that is so so so helpful, make mindmaps, research some of the artists they suggest in the exam paper. then talk through your ideas with your teacher, think about how you can develop them, etc.
    hope this helps! art is definitely a struggle right now

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you could do brand new things and old rusty things or like tattered things and make a contrast between them, like trainers or screws or wood and things, or else burnt out things and you could have like the start of the flame and then like the ashes or it all burnt out. Maybe even the beginning and end of the day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studyingmusic)
    i think the theme is beginning and/or end (that's what it is for the edexcel course i'm doing), so you could do one or the other or both, which opens up more options. searching the topic on pinterest and making a board based on everything you like from that is so so so helpful, make mindmaps, research some of the artists they suggest in the exam paper. then talk through your ideas with your teacher, think about how you can develop them, etc.
    hope this helps! art is definitely a struggle right now
    Thank You!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie389)
    Maybe you could do brand new things and old rusty things or like tattered things and make a contrast between them, like trainers or screws or wood and things, or else burnt out things and you could have like the start of the flame and then like the ashes or it all burnt out. Maybe even the beginning and end of the day
    Thank You!

ReputationRep:
    Wen u say the girl behind wet glass that meant that suggest the girl had a desire to escape (end) i think, idea of being entrapped

ReputationRep:
    you can have a baby on one side, which seems to transition to an old, wrinkled dead person on the other side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s4b3rt00th)
    you can have a baby on one side, which seems to transition to an old, wrinkled dead person on the other side.
    I think this idea is quite commonly used as our art teacher brought it up a lot last year, so it's better to think of something that stands out more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studyingmusic)
    I think this idea is quite commonly used as our art teacher brought it up a lot last year, so it's better to think of something that stands out more?
    i've never done art for gcse. i just made it up on the spot.

how about a person falling and slowly vanishing/decimating/ghosting/ashing/digitalising (something like that)?

ReputationRep:
    Hey ... i need to do something related to this theme ... but i have no idea what to do ... can you give me some ideas ?Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would advise to think outside the box. I'm also doing the edexcel exam. Maybe think about relationships, skeletons. Maybe even political movements and strikes. (You could look at the artist Banksy for that one they are a brilliant street artist)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.