Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I would like to apply for GDL. The universities I was recommended are:

-University of Sussex
    -City University of London
    -BPP
    -Brunel University

Which ones do you suggest I should apply and why? And please tell me about your experiences too.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It generally doesn't matter where you study the GDL. But I guess it depends on what your career aspirations are after the GDL to give you any clearer advice, and also whether you have to factor in location/commuting/lifestyle etc into your decision.

But if it was me I'd be holding off any decision on whether to go into the GDL right now until I knew what was happening with the qualification process for lawyers (if that was the route I wanted to take).

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a tough time deciding between doing the GDL at Uni of Law (both London campuses) and City Law - I've cast BPP aside for now because my experience so far has shown that they're awful at administration. Can anyone offer advice on UniofLaw vs City?

I want to pursue commercial law in the City as a solicitor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    It generally doesn't matter where you study the GDL. But I guess it depends on what your career aspirations are after the GDL to give you any clearer advice, and also whether you have to factor in location/commuting/lifestyle etc into your decision.

But if it was me I'd be holding off any decision on whether to go into the GDL right now until I knew what was happening with the qualification process for lawyers (if that was the route I wanted to take).
    Thank you for your answer. What do you mean by "what was happening with the qualification process for lawyers"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Winterharpy)
    I'm having a tough time deciding between doing the GDL at Uni of Law (both London campuses) and City Law - I've cast BPP aside for now because my experience so far has shown that they're awful at administration. Can anyone offer advice on UniofLaw vs City?

I want to pursue commercial law in the City as a solicitor.
    I have an offer from BPP. Could you please explain why they are awful at administration?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irem_5)
    Thank you for your answer. What do you mean by "what was happening with the qualification process for lawyers"?
    The bar standards boarc and soliciters regulation authority (think these are the right groups) recently conducted an investigation into the routes/quallifications to become a lawyer. Reform is likely to cone which could see changes/abolition to current entry routes and/or potentially open new ones.

I assume, and i admit its a big assumption from a random guy on the internet - so che k it with people - that current students/lawyers will be grandfathered in, so tge GDL will be ok for you to do if you want to.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael_Fishy)
    The bar standards boarc and soliciters regulation authority (think these are the right groups) recently conducted an investigation into the routes/quallifications to become a lawyer. Reform is likely to cone which could see changes/abolition to current entry routes and/or potentially open new ones.

I assume, and i admit its a big assumption from a random guy on the internet - so che k it with people - that current students/lawyers will be grandfathered in, so tge GDL will be ok for you to do if you want to.
    As long as you start the GDL by 2019 (by current proposals), it will still be valid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    As long as you start the GDL by 2019 (by current proposals), it will still be valid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same with a QLD, I assume?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Read up about the SQE - potential massive reforms in how Solicitors qualify - but I wouldn't be rushing into signing up to the GDL until I had confirmation of what was happening (should happen later this year).

http://www.lawcareers.net/Informatio...we-know-so-far

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael_Fishy)
    Same with a QLD, I assume?
    Yeah that's what they are saying. The existing routes will exist until some point in 2019, so as long as you start a QLD or GDL or TC before then, you'd be fine. Although they haven't really worked out what will happen if firms don't choose to have the two route running in parallel when they recruit/train their trainees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Read up about the SQE - potential massive reforms in how Solicitors qualify - but I wouldn't be rushing into signing up to the GDL until I had confirmation of what was happening (should happen later this year).

http://www.lawcareers.net/Informatio...we-know-so-far

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I will read the link you posted. But I would like to ask you : What if I start GDL this September and the LPC? Then I will finish the LPC in 2019 and my TC would start in later 2019. Do you think it would be non valid? I am an international student by the way.
    • Very Important Poster

I will read the link you posted. But I would like to ask you : What if I start GDL this September and the LPC? Then I will finish the LPC in 2019 and my TC would start in later 2019. Do you think it would be non valid? I am an international student by the way.
    They will have transitional arrangements as always happens in these situation. They arent stupid and wouldnt leave hundreds of students in the lurch. Do you already have your TC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    They will have transitional arrangements as always happens in these situation. They arent stupid and wouldnt leave hundreds of students in the lurch. Do you already have your TC?
    No, I don't. Do you think I should ask SRA just to be sure?
    • Very Important Poster

No, I don't. Do you think I should ask SRA just to be sure?
    1. Do you have outstanding qualifications? Do bear in mind it is more difficult for an international student to get a TC, which is already very competitive.

2. Ask them but they are unlikely to know if the plans have not been decided. They always have transitional arrangements. For a while you will get the chance to qualify following the old and new route.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    From a regulation perspective it will still be valid, but firms may (and that is a very big may) have transitioned across to recruiting people who complete the SQE. Also due to time lag in recruiting, firms have or are already recruiting their 2019/2020 intakes. Say you don't apply for a TC until the end of this year, you could be looking at a 2020/21 start date, and by that time many firms could have transitioned across to the new system by then, especially where the old system expires in 2022 (under current proposals).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1. Do you have outstanding qualifications? Do bear in mind it is more difficult for an international student to get a TC, which is already very competitive.

2. Ask them but they are unlikely to know if the plans have not been decided. They always have transitional arrangements. For a while you will get the chance to qualify following the old and new route.
    Ok. Thanks a lot for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    From a regulation perspective it will still be valid, but firms may (and that is a very big may) have transitioned across to recruiting people who complete the SQE. Also due to time lag in recruiting, firms have or are already recruiting their 2019/2020 intakes. Say you don't apply for a TC until the end of this year, you could be looking at a 2020/21 start date, and by that time many firms could have transitioned across to the new system by then, especially where the old system expires in 2022 (under current proposals).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for your help.
    • Very Important Poster

Ok. Thanks a lot for your help.
    I will warn again. Unless im missing something then do not underestimate how difficult it might be as an international student for you to get a TC. It is a big investment for something that doesnt always happen. I think the risk of this is greater than concerns about transitioning, although they are both related to your situation.

ReputationRep:
    I will warn again. Unless im missing something then do not underestimate how difficult it might be as an international student for you to get a TC. It is a big investment for something that doesnt always happen. I think the risk of this is greater than concerns about transitioning, although they are both related to your situation.
    You are right. I will definitely look into it. Thank you for the warning

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.