Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chose subjects that people wanted me to take, not what I wanted to take Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I started my a levels in September but ended up moving college because the previous college didn't really seem all that great, ceiling was falling apart, felt quite old (not in a good way), but mainly my friends were at a different college so I moved. Its a good college don't get me wrong - but I think my choice(s) in subjects are very irresponsible and simply not me.
    I chose:

Physics
    Maths
    Eng Lang
    History

At first it was fine. But after a few months I realised that four subjects were too much so I (tried) to drop Physics but was told I couldn't because "they had sent data off to the exam boards etc."
    I'm finding Maths and Physics VERY hard, physics considerably harder- (although I'm actually enjoying History and eng lang very much), and because I'm doing four subjects its very hard to find the time to revise - especially when you get home from a full day of all four subjects at half four and they expect you to go home and revise for half an hour each subject each night.

Since being little I've always had an interest in animals and the natural world, and originally I was going to take Biology for a levels until literally ten minutes before I contacted my (original) college about my final a level choices, and guess what, I was talked out of it. I feel as though Physics and Maths are the subjects I'm doing because that is what was expected of me by everyone at the time, rather than it being what I wanted to do, that being biology. (A similar thing happened at GCSE where I picked French over Geography because everybody said you needed a foreign language in order to do well and go to top universities, which is absolute bs and I regret the decision even today. I would probably be doing Geography at a level now had I not been so easily pressurized into doing what now seems to be what my parents wanted to do rather than what I wanted to do.)
    Kind of rambling now I know but I'm really not sure what to do. My parents have ideas that I'm finding it hard but they have NO IDEA about the level of stress these subjects put me under, so much so that just thinking about them makes my stomach ache. If I work really hard I know I can probably do OK in Maths and well in Hist/Eng but I'm not sure about Physics. (Right now I'm not doing particularly well in Maths or Physics).

To put some perspective onto why I know I've been basically forced into these subjects, my parents made me go to a tutor once a week for two years for maths and physics, each lesson being about £26. You do the math - and I ended up getting B's in both. On the contrary I got a B in biology from literally just watching documentaries that I wanted to watch and reading things I wanted to read. (Probably would've got an A had it not been for the hyper-attention and unfair priority given to Maths and Physics).

The icing on the cake for me was that we went to an open day at a university to look for courses I could do and guess what? The course we decided on was computing, and all they wanted (as a subject requirement) was at least a B Maths GCSE, (then BCC any a level subjects.)

My point is this:
    What's the point in me depressing myself for two years doing subjects I don't particularly like [actually, particually isn't needed] and cannot do bar Hist/eng for me to go to a university where I could have literally just chosen subjects I know I would have done well in easily, (Biology, ICT, English, History).
    What should I do? I don't mind doing the Computing course but I'm worried I'm not going to be able to get the grades as I just am not used to this much work and level of difficulty combined into two subjects. And that I don't NEED to put myself in this situation if literally they couldn't give a flying **** about which subjects you chose. I don't WANT to go to Oxbridge, so I don't want to do these subjects which everybody universally agrees are the hardest A levels.

I really don't know what to do. Should I just stick it out and get the BCC, or should I resit year 12 and choose the subjects I want to do? Or is there anything else I can do?

ReputationRep:
    Your post confuses me a little. If you don't want to study these subjects, then you shouldn't be studying them. Period. You're not studying them for other people - they're for you. If you want to do ICT, Biology, English and History, then just do them!

A couple of misconceptions in your post to clear up:

1. The A levels you've chosen are not, as you describe, 'subjects which everybody universally agrees are the hardest A levels'. The 'hardest' A levels are entirely context specific, and dependent on the particular skills and interests of the individual concerned.

2. "On the contrary I got a B in biology from literally just watching documentaries that I wanted to watch and reading things I wanted to read." - I'm glad for you if this is the case, but getting a high grade in a science usually involves a little bit more than 'watching documentaries and reading things that interest you'. It doesn't set you up for success once the work gets harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Your post confuses me a little. If you don't want to study these subjects, then you shouldn't be studying them. Period. You're not studying them for other people - they're for you. If you want to do ICT, Biology, English and History, then just do them!

A couple of misconceptions in your post to clear up:

1. The A levels you've chosen are not, as you describe, 'subjects which everybody universally agrees are the hardest A levels'. The 'hardest' A levels are entirely context specific, and dependent on the particular skills and interests of the individual concerned.

2. "On the contrary I got a B in biology from literally just watching documentaries that I wanted to watch and reading things I wanted to read." - I'm glad for you if this is the case, but getting a high grade in a science usually involves a little bit more than 'watching documentaries and reading things that interest you'. It doesn't set you up for success once the work gets harder.
    But how? Its not as simple as as just doing them because I'd have to take a year out / spend three years doing a levels, its February now and the as exams are in May - far too late to simply change them.

1. Most people agree that Maths and physics are the hardest a levels, I get its contextually hard and people find it easy but it still doesn't change the fact that I find them hard, contextually or not.

2. Yes of course I know just doing that doesn't make it using it easy, I was just using those as an analogy to compare thousands of pounds of something I don't enjoy vs next to nothing of something I do enjoy. Not saying I literally just watched documentaries, I studied by making notes from textbooks, doing past papers etc.

Hope that clears it up. Also sorry if this is written in a really angry was, I'm using TSR app which is unstable AF and trying to write coherently is very difficult indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godfrey21)
    Basically I started my a levels in September but ended up moving college because the previous college didn't really seem all that great, ceiling was falling apart, felt quite old (not in a good way), but mainly my friends were at a different college so I moved. Its a good college don't get me wrong - but I think my choice(s) in subjects are very irresponsible and simply not me.
    I chose:

Physics
    Maths
    Eng Lang
    History

At first it was fine. But after a few months I realised that four subjects were too much so I (tried) to drop Physics but was told I couldn't because "they had sent data off to the exam boards etc."
    I'm finding Maths and Physics VERY hard, physics considerably harder- (although I'm actually enjoying History and eng lang very much), and because I'm doing four subjects its very hard to find the time to revise - especially when you get home from a full day of all four subjects at half four and they expect you to go home and revise for half an hour each subject each night.

Since being little I've always had an interest in animals and the natural world, and originally I was going to take Biology for a levels until literally ten minutes before I contacted my (original) college about my final a level choices, and guess what, I was talked out of it. I feel as though Physics and Maths are the subjects I'm doing because that is what was expected of me by everyone at the time, rather than it being what I wanted to do, that being biology. (A similar thing happened at GCSE where I picked French over Geography because everybody said you needed a foreign language in order to do well and go to top universities, which is absolute bs and I regret the decision even today. I would probably be doing Geography at a level now had I not been so easily pressurized into doing what now seems to be what my parents wanted to do rather than what I wanted to do.)
    Kind of rambling now I know but I'm really not sure what to do. My parents have ideas that I'm finding it hard but they have NO IDEA about the level of stress these subjects put me under, so much so that just thinking about them makes my stomach ache. If I work really hard I know I can probably do OK in Maths and well in Hist/Eng but I'm not sure about Physics. (Right now I'm not doing particularly well in Maths or Physics).

To put some perspective onto why I know I've been basically forced into these subjects, my parents made me go to a tutor once a week for two years for maths and physics, each lesson being about £26. You do the math - and I ended up getting B's in both. On the contrary I got a B in biology from literally just watching documentaries that I wanted to watch and reading things I wanted to read. (Probably would've got an A had it not been for the hyper-attention and unfair priority given to Maths and Physics).

The icing on the cake for me was that we went to an open day at a university to look for courses I could do and guess what? The course we decided on was computing, and all they wanted (as a subject requirement) was at least a B Maths GCSE, (then BCC any a level subjects.)

My point is this:
    What's the point in me depressing myself for two years doing subjects I don't particularly like [actually, particually isn't needed] and cannot do bar Hist/eng for me to go to a university where I could have literally just chosen subjects I know I would have done well in easily, (Biology, ICT, English, History).
    What should I do? I don't mind doing the Computing course but I'm worried I'm not going to be able to get the grades as I just am not used to this much work and level of difficulty combined into two subjects. And that I don't NEED to put myself in this situation if literally they couldn't give a flying **** about which subjects you chose. I don't WANT to go to Oxbridge, so I don't want to do these subjects which everybody universally agrees are the hardest A levels.

I really don't know what to do. Should I just stick it out and get the BCC, or should I resit year 12 and choose the subjects I want to do? Or is there anything else I can do?

hi I’m doing 4 a levels too math, further math physics, chemistry I would just stick it out till next year and drop one of them then I’m not planning on dropping any of my a levels as I want to do chemical engineering and hoping by not dropping any of them will make my life at university a little more manageable but it sounds like you can just drop one next year anyway and still be set for university so I wouldn’t stress just don’t drop math

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daz0101)
    hi I’m doing 4 a levels too math, further math physics, chemistry I would just stick it out till next year and drop one of them then I’m not planning on dropping any of my a levels as I want to do chemical engineering and hoping by not dropping any of them will make my life at university a little more manageable but it sounds like you can just drop one next year anyway and still be set for university so I wouldn’t stress just don’t drop math
    But what if I want to do something else? What if I want to do different subjects, what would my options be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godfrey21)
    But what if I want to do something else? What if I want to do different subjects, what would my options be?
    I would just finish this year drop the subjects u don't like and keep the ones you do and choose some new ones to replace the dropped subjects it will just mean u will have some As classes and A2 but u need to speak with ur collage about this but carnt see a problem with it though this is the only other choice now that u have as you have left it to line to swap now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daz0101)
    I would just finish this year drop the subjects u don't like and keep the ones you do and choose some new ones to replace the dropped subjects it will just mean u will have some As classes and A2 but u need to speak with ur collage about this but carnt see a problem with it though this is the only other choice now that u have as you have left it to line to swap now
    Yes, that's probably the only option aside literally redoing the entire year with new subjects. Would this matter with the new AS system? I mean how your UCAS points only count in the AS you drop or would they just be ignored?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.