Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a single parent and I have 2 children applying for University for 2017/18. I've tried the Student Finance Loan calculator for the Maintenance loan for one child but it's very unclear how they take account of my income for BOTH applications. It's as if my income is being counted twice and I feel I'm currently in a very difficult position where I could only support one child through Uni, unless they were both allowed a larger Maintenance Loan.

Can anyone who has had more than one child at Uni at the same time give any idea how they calculate Maintenance loans against one household income?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

So, we'll base any funding on your income - that is to say: we use the same figure for both students. However, we can apply certain disregards to the income depending on the circumstances. For example, we will deduct £1130 for each additional student from the total amount of household income declared.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    So where abouts on the online form form for student finance do you put daughter at Bath Spa university going into second year while son trying for Exeter uni first year ? Would she apply for her disabled student allowance for her 2nd and third years again seperately ?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    HI .
    When both applications have been submitted and you have provided you income information both application will be linked to you and we will assess their entitlement.

If your daughter is already receiving DSA she will not have to reapply each year unless her needs assessment changes.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.