Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFi25)
    Great way of demeaning people who actually have a problem. Tell me do you have any personal experience with this sort of thing,
    er, well i was briefly stalked by a self-harming psychotic tesco employee who is now on more Prozac than Ward C at the BRI.

like waking up in a pool of your own blood as i have? I am lucky to be here today (my body refuses to let me die no matter what i do) and hate that sort of comment which seems to just pass a serious problem off as a 'phase'. :mad:
    i was making a valid generalisation (society). what other suggestions is to blame for a rise in teenage depression over the decades?

ReputationRep:
    ignorance is part of the reason as to why steenage suicide rates are so high. No one can spot the signs in order to help.
    I meant ignoring timeofyourlife !
    He probably doesn't care.

I've had several friends go through serious depression and a couple attempt suicide, my brother ended up in hospital a couple of times because of it (OD'ing is bad enough)

ReputationRep:
    Great way of demeaning people who actually have a problem. Tell me do you have any personal experience with this sort of thing, like waking up in a pool of your own blood as i have? I am lucky to be here today (my body refuses to let me die no matter what i do) and hate that sort of comment which seems to just pass a serious problem off as a 'phase'. :mad:
    Thats true. Unfortunately some ppl do wallow in self pity but there are a great number of people out there who do suffer. And I dont think it would be right to dismiss them all until you have felt the kind of feelings they have to go through and the things they have to bear. More help should be available to ppl in those situations - before it is too late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowtaxi)
    I try to ask ppl on here for advice but most ppl (except you, mad caddie, vixen, whats the 411 etc) mock me and laugh at me.
    Because no one wants to see a picture of your thinly veiled genitals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    i was making a valid generalisation (society). what other suggestions is to blame for a rise in teenage depression over the decades?
    A very impersonal sociological analysis of the situation...(which is, of course, what it is, so I guess I can't deny that)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeWired)
    oh, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    oh, thanks.
    I realised that error in my judgment, ouch
    (Grits and bares the outcome)

ReputationRep:
    A very impersonal sociological analysis of the situation...(which is, of course, what it is, so I guess I can't deny that)
    i'm still awaiting valid alternative causations which would deem my "society claim" ignorant..

ReputationRep:

I've had several friends go through serious depression and a couple attempt suicide, my brother ended up in hospital a couple of times because of it (OD'ing is bad enough)
    (Original post by VixenIW)
    Thats true. Unfortunately some ppl do wallow in self pity but there are a great number of people out there who do suffer. And I dont think it would be right to dismiss them all until you have felt the kind of feelings they have to go through and the things they have to bear. More help should be available to ppl in those situations - before it is too late.
    Help should be available but often isn't because society as a whole tries to hide the problem as it doesn't understand it. The NHS is no help either, I have been to A&E because cuts were too deep and needed stiches. They have a great attitude, such as the classic comment by a nurse of 'you don't need anasthetic (sp), you did it to yourself without it why do you need it now?'. The answer is that it doesn't hurt at all when you do it because of the anger, pain, guilt and sadness. However after that has gone, it hurts like any other cut would.

ReputationRep:
    Help should be available but often isn't because society as a whole tries to hide the problem as it doesn't understand it. The NHS is no help either, I have been to A&E because cuts were too deep and needed stiches. They have a great attitude, such as the classic comment by a nurse of 'you don't need anasthetic (sp), you did it to yourself without it why do you need it now?'. The answer is that it doesn't hurt at all when you do it because of the anger, pain, guilt and sadness. However after that has gone, it hurts like any other cut would.
    have you seen a pyschiatrist?

ReputationRep:
    id imagine ud had quite a shity day so theres not much wrong wiv it. but life's too short mate to worry about these minor incidents just get on with it

ReputationRep:
    Society only strives to 'correct' people to social norms . That NHS nurse must've been quite extreme, I guess the cases must get to them eventually though.

On a side note I use to be firmly against the use of medication to correct depression but I've accepted that it's necessary sometimes. Still seems extremely unnatural an raises the question of whether we understand these conditions any better, loading them up with pharmeceuticals.

ReputationRep:
    have you seen a pyschiatrist?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    did he get the bottom of why you are depressed / make a more specific diagnosis?

ReputationRep:

On a side note I use to be firmly against the use of medication to correct depression but I've accepted that it's necessary sometimes. Still seems extremely unnatural an raises the question of whether we understand these conditions any better, loading them up with pharmeceuticals.
    I don't think antidepressants are the answer at all. Not only do they have some very nasty side effects they don't treat the cause of the problem. to be honest i think councelling is far more effective in treating it.

ReputationRep:
    Society only strives to 'correct' people to social norms . That NHS nurse must've been quite extreme, I guess the cases must get to them eventually though.

That nurse sounds quite normal. My mum used to be a nurse and said most other nurses were really cold towards self harmers and would not speak to the attempted suicides on wards

ReputationRep:
    That nurse sounds quite normal. My mum used to be a nurse and said most other nurses were really cold towards self harmers and would not speak to the attempted suicides on wards
    there does seem to be a label of "attention seeking" attached to such patients amongst all grades of medical staff

ReputationRep:
    did he get the bottom of why you are depressed / make a more specific diagnosis?
    I was diagnosed as suffering from severe clinical depression. There were many causes of what caused me to get depressed as it is with everyone. I would rather not talk about the causes on this board.

ReputationRep:
    Really? I guess I can imagine why, to be fair I've not seen how the nurses treat self-harmers myself. Most of my experience has been with people and their counsellors etc (who are obviously trained for that)

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    Did you find seeing one helped. My sister was in a psychiatric unit for about 4 weeks and she got worse in there because they treated them like were in nursery or something and the whole atmosphere of the place was very depressing. The psycitrist shes seeing now has helped a bit but there hasnt been a remarkable improvement

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.