Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I start my nursing degree on the 20th of March and I'm looking for something to do prior to starting. Is there anything anyone could recommend? for example, learn about a specific area, or any resources that would be useful to look at beforehand? I'm doing adult nursing to be specific

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by courtneywxxd)
    I start my nursing degree on the 20th of March and I'm looking for something to do prior to starting. Is there anything anyone could recommend? for example, learn about a specific area, or any resources that would be useful to look at beforehand? I'm doing adult nursing to be specific
    Have you got recommended reading lists - there will be a principles of nursing book.

Get the Nursing Times and look through some of the issues. Get a book on drugs and learn some of the names and what they do. Most common drugs are statins, warfarin, blood pressure medications; antidepressants; etc. Do some drug calculations - nurses today are rubbish at them. Learn some basic anatomy and physiology. Learn about models of reflection - these are the ridiculous things they do these days ( supposed to be a modern form of navel gazing ) Johns and Gibbs are two of them.

That should keep you going!

ReputationRep:
    I would say have a look at the recommended reading lists ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    Have you got recommended reading lists - there will be a principles of nursing book.

Get the Nursing Times and look through some of the issues. Get a book on drugs and learn some of the names and what they do. Most common drugs are statins, warfarin, blood pressure medications; antidepressants; etc. Do some drug calculations - nurses today are rubbish at them. Learn some basic anatomy and physiology. Learn about models of reflection - these are the ridiculous things they do these days ( supposed to be a modern form of navel gazing ) Johns and Gibbs are two of them.

That should keep you going!
    There's a recommended list on the university page, but it says that its not necessary to purchase them as the university provides most resources. I've got a nursing companion which I've been reading and I think i'm gonna start making notes from that.
    I've got an anatomy and physiology book which I keep reading bits from, but I think I'm gonna start studying from it and writing up notes. I'll start studying my different drugs too. I surprisingly know a lot about the drugs already haha. I'll definitely have a look at the models! thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire9865)
    I would say have a look at the recommended reading lists ?
    They state that purchasing the specific books would be unnecessary though, as the university will provide most resources. plus, the books on the list are quite expensive I have a nursing companion book which I think I'm going to start making notes from. I'm just so excited to get started thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.