courtneywxxd
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I start my nursing degree on the 20th of March and I'm looking for something to do prior to starting. Is there anything anyone could recommend? for example, learn about a specific area, or any resources that would be useful to look at beforehand? I'm doing adult nursing to be specific
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by courtneywxxd)
I start my nursing degree on the 20th of March and I'm looking for something to do prior to starting. Is there anything anyone could recommend? for example, learn about a specific area, or any resources that would be useful to look at beforehand? I'm doing adult nursing to be specific
Have you got recommended reading lists - there will be a principles of nursing book.

Get the Nursing Times and look through some of the issues. Get a book on drugs and learn some of the names and what they do. Most common drugs are statins, warfarin, blood pressure medications; antidepressants; etc. Do some drug calculations - nurses today are rubbish at them. Learn some basic anatomy and physiology. Learn about models of reflection - these are the ridiculous things they do these days ( supposed to be a modern form of navel gazing ) Johns and Gibbs are two of them.

That should keep you going!
claire9865
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I would say have a look at the recommended reading lists ?
courtneywxxd
Rep:
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
Have you got recommended reading lists - there will be a principles of nursing book.

Get the Nursing Times and look through some of the issues. Get a book on drugs and learn some of the names and what they do. Most common drugs are statins, warfarin, blood pressure medications; antidepressants; etc. Do some drug calculations - nurses today are rubbish at them. Learn some basic anatomy and physiology. Learn about models of reflection - these are the ridiculous things they do these days ( supposed to be a modern form of navel gazing ) Johns and Gibbs are two of them.

That should keep you going!
There's a recommended list on the university page, but it says that its not necessary to purchase them as the university provides most resources. I've got a nursing companion which I've been reading and I think i'm gonna start making notes from that.
I've got an anatomy and physiology book which I keep reading bits from, but I think I'm gonna start studying from it and writing up notes. I'll start studying my different drugs too. I surprisingly know a lot about the drugs already haha. I'll definitely have a look at the models! thank you so much!
courtneywxxd
Rep:
(Original post by claire9865)
I would say have a look at the recommended reading lists ?
They state that purchasing the specific books would be unnecessary though, as the university will provide most resources. plus, the books on the list are quite expensive I have a nursing companion book which I think I'm going to start making notes from. I'm just so excited to get started thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (18)
18%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (34)
34%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
6%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
2%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
10%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
19%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
4%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
7%

Watched Threads