Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did I miss my chance to make friends at Uni? Watch

Hi,
    I'm in 1st year and it seems that I don't really have any friends.
    Don't get me wrong it's not like I'm alone all the time. I used to hang out with this group of girls (from halls) but now it seems that they're all closer to each other than they are to me. I've tried getting closer, but they never invite me to do stuff during the day (even though everyone is out) and when I make a suggestion they pie me off or never get back to me.We do go on nights out together, but they are so hard to talk to (even though I like them and they don't dislike me too).

Now I'm just tired of trying to fit in with them, but since it's the 2nd term I feel like everyone is already in groups and everyone's already found their best friends. I have two "pals" in lectures and seminars, but they don't live in halls, so they all hang out with their friends from school in their free time.

Now everyone's sorted out their housing for next year and I'm just alone and sad all the time. I can't go on like this, my confidence has really gone down and I'm even thinking about dropping out and going home (I'm not from the UK).

What can I do?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they don't see you as a loner or anything. You probably have more friends than you think.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.