Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been to an open day at Sheffield and loved the city and the uni. But the teachers didn't seem massively charismatic or that engaged unlike my other favourite uni (which is ranked lower than SHU), having said that it was an interview i went to so it gave them more time to shine. If anyone who is studying quantity surveying or anything from built environment could give me their opinion pm the course and uni life in general it would be a massive help as i really cant decide!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by JamesL1992)
    I've been to an open day at Sheffield and loved the city and the uni. But the teachers didn't seem massively charismatic or that engaged unlike my other favourite uni (which is ranked lower than SHU), having said that it was an interview i went to so it gave them more time to shine. If anyone who is studying quantity surveying or anything from built environment could give me their opinion pm the course and uni life in general it would be a massive help as i really cant decide!
    Hi James,

I'm trying to find a quantity surveying student who can help you with your questions about the course

I came to Hallam and graduated a couple of years ago. The city is great for students - there's loads to do, whether you like nights out, walks in the countryside or shopping. This article from the guardian actually gives you a really good idea of what Sheffield is like to live in.

There are also plenty of societies for you to get involved in through the Student Union! What kinds of things are you interested in and I'll try and give you a bit more info?

Hannah
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by JamesL1992)
    Hi James,

I sent your post to a student called Harry who is studying Quantity Surveying SHU at the moment, and he's replied with the below information:

'Having studied QS for 3 years now I cant recommend the University in this respect enough. I currently work for a QS company in Sheffield whilst i finish my last year at Hallam. Without the help of all the lecturers from Hallam I wouldn't be in the position I am today. Perhaps you caught them on an off day because they are always enthusiastic about what they do. I am heavily involved in the course and the department, having set up a society in the built environment (check out the QBC facebook page to see whats happening) the teachers were really keen to push this and now there is an even stronger student-teacher relationship. They offer full support in engaging with the students, they have helped me over and over again setting up events, going to Awards Nights etc all stuff over and above the day to day lecturing.

What can i say about Sheffield... frankly you would be an idiot not to come and live here. There is something for everyone in this city, I could easily write pages on all the places to go and things to do.'

Harry is happy to answer any other questions you might have so please ask away

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.