Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can you study medicine after high school if you only did physics, maths, biology, thinking skills and not chemistry. Can you do an extra course after high school or an extra year in your undergraduate years. Also if you don't like Chemistry but love Biology is it a bad idea to do medicine??
    Please help......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angiebloxi)
    Can you study medicine after high school if you only did physics, maths, biology, thinking skills and not chemistry. Can you do an extra course after high school or an extra year in your undergraduate years. Also if you don't like Chemistry but love Biology is it a bad idea to do medicine??
    Please help......
    It would be very difficult to find a medicine foundation degree (what I assume you mean by an extra year?) which would accept an applicant who has three science A levels but no chemistry - I don't think there are any in fact, but I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Critical thinking and general studies aren't counted by medical schools.

As for the final question - a medical degree in the UK contains no pure chemistry and being a doctor doesn't involve applying any A level chemistry knowledge. Why it is a requirement is a mystery. But unfortunately it is a requirement and you need to do it and do well in it to get an offer. It sucks, but it's one of the many hoops a career in medicine involves jumping through...

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is great, whatcha on 'bout?!

ReputationRep:
    I always thought Chemistry was the compulsory one because (for most people) it's harder than Biology - I assumed somebody somewhere thought Chemistry was a better way than Biology of figuring out if you'd be able to cope with the course.

You use barely any Chemistry as a med student/in most medical fields; an interest in Biology seems far more relevant to me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.