Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a Business Management Degree from the University of Winchester, after gaining a HND from the University of Portsmouth in Business Management.

I've had previous experience in a HR role, because my apprenticeship was in HR. I looked into doing this but with HR being a separate course, my degree wasn't very useful in that sector and I got rejected from every job I applied for.

My only other work experience is in a retail environment, and I have no desire to pursue that area of management. I also have no desire to run my own business.

I'm not highly numerate, I don't really love numbers but I can work with them. So what did everybody else do with their Business Management degree?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DollyMorgan12)
    Look up the DLHE (Destination of Leavers of Higher Education) data for a few BM degrees, that will show the sort of jobs graduates are getting. The degree websites are likely to be more specific as well.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a HR degree to get into HR. Speak to a few people in the industry and get advice about how best to get more experience in this area to help with your applications (there's tons of HR internships etc)

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, echoing above - you don't need an HR degree to move in to HR (I didn't even realize you could do an HR undergraduate degree?)... The vast majority of schemes are open to people from any degree discipline.

Secondly, what modules did you enjoy the most at university? Explore options that suit these... There's a wealth of roles directly related to your degree...
    Project Management
    Business Development
    Logistics & Supply Chain
    Consulting
    General Management (among transport, retail, FMCG, energy or any other industry you feel drawn too)
    Human Resource management
    Sales/account Managing
    Business Analytics

The list is endless... Have a look at jobs available or at companies you fancy and see which schemes the offer for inspiration!

I'd also suggest you bulk up your CV if you haven't already with things like:
    Internships
    Studying abroad/summer school
    University societies
    Volunteering etc.

In the grand scheme of things; people with these on the CV will arguably be more attractive than those without. This is because most organization's are looking for a person-organization fit above a person-job fit and the recruitment process, particularly at entry level becomes more about settling in with the culture well above having qualifications...

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.