Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violeta23)
    Which essay questions did you choose?
    I did fundamental laws and Crimean war

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephenlewis09)
    I did. Interpretation question was very hard, wasn't expecting AA's to be the essay question as well as the interpretation. Having said that, answered the AA essay question fairly comfortably and also chose the women question as well. Slightly ran out of time though. How'd you find it?
    I also did the same questions, though I slightly ran out of time for women's civil rights. Which passage did you end up agreeing with for AA's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salma.k)
    I also did the same questions, though I slightly ran out of time for women's civil rights. Which passage did you end up agreeing with for AA's?
    Ended up agreeing with B, as New Deal shown to have affected AA's least out of the four groups. You?

ReputationRep:
    Ended up agreeing with B, as New Deal shown to have affected AA's least out of the four groups. You?
    I did this exam, and agreed with B too!

ReputationRep:
    Good to hear, I also chose passage B because from prior knowledge I learnt the New Deal didn't improve their position significantly.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    How did you find the Russia 1855-1964 paper for those who did it? What question did you choose not to do and why?
    (Original post by Movementmoments)
    Russia 1855-1964 will probably be low grade boundaries.

The interpretation was quite easy but the essay questions prevented a thematic approach and thus many people wouldn't put the levels of synthesis is required to get the top marks.

Were everyone else essay topics quite closed off. Asking for comparisons of events instead of themes?
    I didn't nationalities question as I always struggled to find enough to say and was concerned all I was going to write was Russification. Plus I had extra knowledge and statistics to write for the other two questions so they seemed easier for me.

And I'm hoping it's lower boundaries! Luckily the revision session held at my college last night did some revision plans to similarly worded questions, so I didn't find them as badly as I might have, but they were still pretty challenging and only wrote 3 paragraphs in both.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I did fundamental laws and Crimean war
    Same! How did you find them? I was afriad of answering the Crimean War question battle by Battle (Which is what I did in the mock and did horribly!)
    What themes did you base the paragraphs around? I did Agriculture, Industry and then the economy itself as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone willing to have a stab at grade boundary predictions??????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
    Same! How did you find them? I was afriad of answering the Crimean War question battle by Battle (Which is what I did in the mock and did horribly!)
    What themes did you base the paragraphs around? I did Agriculture, Industry and then the economy itself as a whole.
    I did wars by war or groups of wars. So I had a paragraph on Crimean war, Second World War, First World War/civil war and the Cold War.

With links inbetween them and I ranked them.

Our teacher always advised themematic if possible but I feel the selection of essay questions today, bar Lenin nationality, made a themematic approach very difficult.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I did wars by war or groups of wars. So I had a paragraph on Crimean war, Second World War, First World War/civil war and the Cold War.

Our teacher always advised themematic if possible but I feel the selection of essay questions today, bar Lenin nationality, made a themematic approach very difficult.
    Yeah I did find it diffucult to keep it up most of the time. But I wrote my essay like that in the mock and it didn't really work out of me, so I felt this was the better approach for me. I tried to have some analysis and ranking in each paragraph though, trying to keep a Tsarist and Communist example in each.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NomadPrincess)
    Did anyone do the challenge of german nationalism paper? If so, how did you find it?
    I thought it was alright - I did the aims and the industrial development essays -- the first one went much better than the second! I thought the interpretations were a bit weird, I'm not sure I understood Passage B but never mind! How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did find it diffucult to keep it up most of the time. But I wrote my essay like that in the mock and it didn't really work out of me, so I felt this was the better approach for me. I tried to have some analysis and ranking in each paragraph though, trying to keep a Tsarist and Communist example in each.
    Nice, I'm sure we'll both do great

ReputationRep:

I approached this by comparing the wars (roughly) so Crimean war compared to Russo Turkish(not that much to say) and then Russo-Japanese and WWI. Then another paragraph comparing it to Civil War, and a finally paragraph with WWII and Cold War. Brought in industry too and the military I.e what the fiscal budget was spent on.

What did you conclude?

Guess I'm the only one that did the nationalities question.

How did we find the interpretation question - what did you guys write about A and B?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow I did it extremely similarly to you - I did industry, agriculture and exportation

ReputationRep:
    I approached this by comparing the wars (roughly) so Crimean war compared to Russo Turkish(not that much to say) and then Russo-Japanese and WWI. Then another paragraph comparing it to Civil War, and a finally paragraph with WWII and Cold War. Brought in industry too and the military I.e what the fiscal budget was spent on.

What did you conclude?

Guess I'm the only one that did the nationalities question.

How did we find the interpretation question - what did you guys write about A and B?
    Concluded that in terms of the economy Crimean War had the greatest long term impact due to emancipation, creating industrial workforce etc.
    But in terms of raw industrial and economic might Stalin industrialisation during World War 2. As the major industrial hurtlands were ravaged by war but big daddy joe still managed to make the soviet economy rise as a Phoenix from the ashes of world war 2.

Interpretation question was an absolute dream; I love the provisional government.

Concluded passage B more convincing as it argued the actual enactors (Lenin, Bolsheviks and working class) of the revolution as contributing the most to the overthrow of PG. Whereas passage A just described a catalyst for the overthrow
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Concluded that in terms of the economy Crimean War had the greatest long term impact due to emancipation, creating industrial workforce etc.
    But in terms of raw industrial and economic might Stalin industrialisation during World War 2. As the major industrial hurtlands were ravaged by war but big daddy joe still managed to make the soviet economy rise as a Phoenix from the ashes of world war 2.

Interpretation question was an absolute dream; I love the provisional government.

Concluded passage B more convincing as it argued the actual enactors (Lenin, Bolsheviks and working class) of the revolution as contributing the most to the overthrow of PG. Whereas passage A just described a catalyst for the overthrow
    I argued that Lynch is passage A was more convincing for the fact he considered the factors occurring during the time of the provisional government as well as events prior to its formation which may have doomed it from the start.

(It's a fancy way of writing that I know more context for the first one)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IssyJuly7)
    I thought it was alright - I did the aims and the industrial development essays -- the first one went much better than the second! I thought the interpretations were a bit weird, I'm not sure I understood Passage B but never mind! How about you?
    Passage B argued that the adoption of the weltpolitik was down to the desire to increase trade by setting up colonies around the world, and also to assert German dominance over Europe by provoking a war

ReputationRep:

I did it by reforms that influenced long term; WW2 and Crimean ect. so emancipation edict and 5 year plans, and then short term forms like WWI and Civil war, eg. NEP and lennins policys. After that I did stuff on Alexander III and the fact that there was a lot of economic growth even tho there was an absence of war. I also mentioned somewhere about Khrushchev and Stalin in the cold war
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue2337)
    It's linear. So there are no grades.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue2337)
    Well, going from the reaction of Twitter, most people found all of the papers quite challenging - so maybe slightly lower than we're anticipating.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.