(Original post by 04MR17)
    It's linear. So there are no grades.
    Sorry, what?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violeta23)
    Sorry, what?
    It's a linear course. So each unit is not graded. The marks awarded in each paper are proportional to the weighting of that unit:

25% => 50 marks
    15% => 30 marks
    40% => 80 marks

That way, they only grade your overall mark.

ReputationRep:
    It's a linear course. So each unit is not graded. The marks awarded in each paper are proportional to the weighting of that unit:

25% => 50 marks
    15% => 30 marks
    40% => 80 marks

So the total number of marks you achieve across all papers is used to determine your grade? So there is a grade boundary ultimately i.e. 150/200 is a grade B or something.

ReputationRep:
    It's linear. So there are no grades.
    What do you mean?

(Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
    Well, going from the reaction of Twitter, most people found all of the papers quite challenging - so maybe slightly lower than we're anticipating.
    Hahaha! The first thing I did after the exam was check twitter to see how everyone else felt... it seemed like the other topics were really difficult, like something about Russia? German nationalism? Difficult stuff! I'm praying it's as low as African American voting numbers after Mississippi v Williams...

ReputationRep:

25% => 50 marks
    15% => 30 marks
    40% => 80 marks

I get that, but I mean, say the overall grade boundary is 180/200 for an A*. Scale that down to this paper, and that would mean 72/80 would be the 'boundary' for an A*, just in miniature. That's all I was meaning haha! Whether people anticipate the boundaries to be something like 90%, based on this paper, or more like 85%.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    So the total number of marks you achieve across all papers is used to determine your grade? So there is a grade boundary ultimately i.e. 150/200 is a grade B or something.
    Yeah. So the raw mark will be a total out of 200, and the UMS is out of 400, so they will set corresponding raw=>ums conversions depending on the quality of scripts to allow a consistent number of A grades across successive years etc. becuase it's all based on the principle that nationally, each year group is of equal ability, and that the exams themselves just vary in difficulty.
    (Original post by blue2337)
    What do you mean?
    See above.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. So the raw mark will be a total out of 200, and the UMS is out of 400, so they will set corresponding raw=>ums conversions depending on the quality of scripts to allow a consistent number of A grades across successive years etc. becuase it's all based on the principle that nationally, each year group is of equal ability, and that the exams themselves just vary in difficulty.
    See above.
    I see. Thanks for clarifying that as I didn't realise. What do you think the raw mark will be for an A?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I see. Thanks for clarifying that as I didn't realise. What do you think the raw mark will be for an A?
    No clue. The only way we'd know is if we did a mass poll on how people thought they'd done.

ReputationRep:
    Any one know if they base the grade boundaries on all the units? Or will it be different boundaries per unit - so will russia and it's rulers have different boundaries to Germany let's say?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sg78)
    Any one know if they base the grade boundaries on all the units? Or will it be different boundaries per unit - so will russia and it's rulers have different boundaries to Germany let's say?
    I'm guessing that it'll be different boundaries for different units?

ReputationRep:
    Omg who did the early Stuart's and origins of civil war topic?? I found it so confusing! I think I did really bad because my answers were so vague for the 20 mark essay question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NomadPrincess)
    Omg who did the early Stuart's and origins of civil war topic?? I found it so confusing! I think I did really bad because my answers were so vague for the 20 mark essay question
    I did it.

My coursework was based on responsibility of Charles vs Parliament for Civil War.

So you can probably guess how it went for me

ReputationRep:
    I actually find it not bad. I think that's because the second question of ' what was the cause of the civil war" is the exactly the same as the one as I did in my course work. In terms of the source question, I found ok.

ReputationRep:
    How did the rest of your class find it?

ReputationRep:
    I did the Early Stuarts. I guess it could have been a lot worse. I liked the questio but timing was tight considering there was so much to write for the James question. I also felt my answers were too vague

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else do the Tudors 1547-1603?

ReputationRep:
    No one did Alfred the Great, basically no one does my topics 😂

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else do the Tudors 1547-1603?
    I did!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OddFuturez)
    No one did Alfred the Great, basically no one does my topics 😂
    Haha, as someone who sat that paper today, I know how you feel 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephenlewis09)
    Haha, as someone who sat that paper today, I know how you feel 😂
    OH!! How did you find it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.