Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People with either mres or ma experience, I need your advice!! (theology student) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm a Theology undergraduate in Birmingham and I am continuing on in my studies hopefully into a PHD. At present I am gearing towards New Testament Studies, and I have applied to a couple of universities.

I have done surprisingly well in my studies, much better than I expected and I am working well within a first - this means that I have a good chance of getting into a really good university. However, I am a mature student with a family - albeit a very supportive husband, and so I discounted applying to any uni that I couldn't easily commute to.

Yesterday, my tutor advised me to apply to universities like Durham and Edinburgh and he said that I shouldn't worry about having to attend all these lectures. He said that they will want me, because to the university I represent money so they often allow some students some room to study.

So my question is, what does a MA taught timetable look like? I know they differ depending on the uni. And secondly, is it even realistic to commute to the uni to complete a taught masters? I can travel and stay in hotels every now and again but I not on a weekly basis for a whole 9 months or so. Also is an mres a stand alone qualification - if I decide to not do a PHD after my masters will an mres help with employability?

Thanks!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    First off, I'm not sure a masters can be completed by distance unless it's a distance masters. You will need to go in for teaching and seminars etc. You can expect about 10-15h a week of teaching and the rest is self study. Is that doable? An MRes is geared towards a research career and won't necessarily mean much in a non-research context (but I'm not in your field). If you want to work outside of academia you may want to consider an MA instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izagora)
    Hey,

I'm a Theology undergraduate in Birmingham and I am continuing on in my studies hopefully into a PHD. At present I am gearing towards New Testament Studies, and I have applied to a couple of universities.

I have done surprisingly well in my studies, much better than I expected and I am working well within a first - this means that I have a good chance of getting into a really good university. However, I am a mature student with a family - albeit a very supportive husband, and so I discounted applying to any uni that I couldn't easily commute to.

Yesterday, my tutor advised me to apply to universities like Durham and Edinburgh and he said that I shouldn't worry about having to attend all these lectures. He said that they will want me, because to the university I represent money so they often allow some students some room to study.

So my question is, what does a MA taught timetable look like? I know they differ depending on the uni. And secondly, is it even realistic to commute to the uni to complete a taught masters? I can travel and stay in hotels every now and again but I not on a weekly basis for a whole 9 months or so. Also is an mres a stand alone qualification - if I decide to not do a PHD after my masters will an mres help with employability?

Thanks!!
    Think of it this way: It would be silly to pay lots of money for a course only to not turn up for most of it. My MA timetable, albeit not for theology, was similar to undergraduate, around 7 or 8 contact hours a week spread over 3 days. Obviously as you've stated they differ by subject and uni but almost all involve classes scheduled every week. Outside of academia masters on their own generally don't help with employability, in some sectors when combined with work experience and a strong application they can help, however in other areas they won't make any difference.

ReputationRep:
    You might do well to look into doing a distance learning masters. From experience, as a mature student at the time, I would recommend this mode of study.

An attendance based masters in some humanities can require as little as four hours on campus per week. Some unis won't question poor attendance but others will have a problem with it which is why distance learning may be a safer bet for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.