Anyone here live in/near York? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ghost
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
lo all,
The family and I are goin to York tmorrow for a few days. Was just wondering if anyone who lives there or has been there could recommend any places of interest that I should take a look at during my stay?

Thanks in advance.
Aeris
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Take a picture with the naked cowboy on Times Square.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ArisGreenleaf)
Take a picture with the naked cowboy on Times Square.
Which York would this be?
Ghost
Rep:
?
York, York! Not New York hehe :P
Aeris
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ghost)
York, York! Not New York hehe :P
lol Sorry just can't get over my trip to New York and all the fun I had. I don't know anything about York. Maybe you should just go to New York next time.
LifeWired
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Visit the Jorvik Viking Centre, there be Viking's there...apparently...
(Long time since I went...I found it grim, you can go up to the top of York Minster and jump off but I'm twisted)
Ghost
Rep:
?
(Original post by LifeWired)
Visit the Jorvik Viking Centre, there be Viking's there...apparently...
(Long time since I went...I found it grim, you can go up to the top of York Minster and jump off but I'm twisted)
A decent response yay.
Cheers, I'll check it out!
James.R
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you're into the museum type of thing there's the Castle Museum with what i believe is victorian stuff, and the York Dungeon (name says it all). Theres also the big wall around the city you can walk round if you feel that way inclined.

Other than that theres pretty much the same shops etc.. as there'd be in any city centre.
Dude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ghost)
lo all,
The family and I are goin to York tmorrow for a few days. Was just wondering if anyone who lives there or has been there could recommend any places of interest that I should take a look at during my stay?

Thanks in advance.
Go to NYU and get the Olsen Twins autograph.
EPD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The Railway Museum is free aswell. Alternatively, just wander along by the river or along the city walls. Plenty of gardens in the city centre - round the Minster and close to the river. Plenty of old pubs too - the King's Arms by the river's a nice Sam Smith's pub.
LifeWired
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ghost)
A decent response yay.
Cheers, I'll check it out!
Apparently my school trip paid off

Hope you have a great time there, there are in actual fact a lot of small shops crammed into some streets around York Minster, there's a place where u can get two people upstairs across the street to shake hands across from one side to the other, vaguely interesting...!
sashh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by LifeWired)
Apparently my school trip paid off

Hope you have a great time there, there are in actual fact a lot of small shops crammed into some streets around York Minster, there's a place where u can get two people upstairs across the street to shake hands across from one side to the other, vaguely interesting...!
That's the shambles.

Not been to York for years, must go sometime.

Oh the mound round the castle (can't remember it's proper name but next to the castle museum) well it used to be a moat but was used to bury people during the Plauge and ended up as a mount.
rottcodd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by James.R)
If you're into the museum type of thing there's the Castle Museum with what i believe is victorian stuff, and the York Dungeon (name says it all). Theres also the big wall around the city you can walk round if you feel that way inclined.

Other than that theres pretty much the same shops etc.. as there'd be in any city centre.
If you go to York Dungeon make sure you have lost all sense of smell - it really stinks down there!
EPD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sashh)
Oh the mound round the castle (can't remember it's proper name but next to the castle museum)
Clifford's Tower, if you're thinking of the same one as me.
Lil !*!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Disney store!! I think all the other things i would have said have been mentioned..
charlord
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ghost)
lo all,

Thanks in advance.
the shambles
the ghost tour - with the guy in a top hat (youll see the posters)
the minster
the fudge shop!

thats all i know - hopefuly going to uni there in oct
Ghost
Rep:
?
Thanks for the replys, all!

Just got back, was a pretty nice place although 3 nights there was enough methinks!
Some of the places we went to were the railway museum, the shambles, the ghost tour, and the minster (the crypts under the minster were very disappointing..)
The river there was flooded, so the road just beside the window of my room in the hotel had a big river at the end of it hehe.
Heres a photo of the shambles I took..
Attached files
LifeWired
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ahh, thanks, that would be it
InterCity125
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The railway musuem is very good. Even if you are not really interested in trains as such it is worth a visit. Some of the stuff could be updated a bit, but the staff are knowledgeable and helpful.
If I get good results I will be taking a trip up to York for a few days to see the NRM and a few other bits.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (316)
37.4%
No - but I will (66)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (401)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise