Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HELP- I have to choose GCSE options tonight and I'm debating about doing Art or Drama. I enjoy both yet they have an equal (large amount of) coursework. I can't see myself doing art at A Level however, drama would be a maybe... I'd feel more motivated going to art and would be worried that I wouldn't be independent enough in Drama. Arghh

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't know how much use I can be considering that I don't take either, but I know people who do (I'm in year 11 though so course might be different for you). Art is apparently a lot more stressful purely because you need to spend so much time on it, which means that you have less time for other subjects. However if you are passionate about it and don't mind devoting a lot of time to art then you could still find it enjoyable. Drama is supposedly not as stressful although you need to be able to write a lot in a limited amount of time during the written exams. Performances are obviously hard work too but as long as you put the effort in you should be ok. If you would consider taking drama at A level but wouldn't take art then it makes more sense to take drama, although I don't think it's essential to have taken it for GCSE to study it at A level at all sixths forms. But either would be fine, if you think you would enjoy art more (despite the workload) then there's no reason not to do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they do have an equal amount of coursework, the workload for art is, in my opinion, higher. If you think you might like to take drama at A level then your decision is made - do drama.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pearlgrey)
    Well I don't know how much use I can be considering that I don't take either, but I know people who do (I'm in year 11 though so course might be different for you). Art is apparently a lot more stressful purely because you need to spend so much time on it, which means that you have less time for other subjects. However if you are passionate about it and don't mind devoting a lot of time to art then you could still find it enjoyable. Drama is supposedly not as stressful although you need to be able to write a lot in a limited amount of time during the written exams. Performances are obviously hard work too but as long as you put the effort in you should be ok. If you would consider taking drama at A level but wouldn't take art then it makes more sense to take drama, although I don't think it's essential to have taken it for GCSE to study it at A level at all sixths forms. But either would be fine, if you think you would enjoy art more (despite the workload) then there's no reason not to do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Since I do both Drama and Art GCSE's I would say that everyone is different because some people would say that Art is time consuming and pretty much everyone says that. But personally I don't find it time consuming since I produce a lot of work in a short time. It depends on your speed and how much your willing to commit to it. Art is a really fun subject you get to visit galleries and coursework is not bad since your just investigating artists and ideas to lead to your final piece.

As for Drama it's one of the most hardest subjects I would say since my predicted grade is a C or B compared to Art being an A/A*. The thing with drama is that it's divided between writing and practical work. Where you have to visit theaters and write reviews and techniques they use. I preferred this over the practical work because I wasn't good at body language and voice. Since acting wasn't for me. But if your good at acting then you should pick it. Especially if your committed to go to rehearsals at least 3-5 times or more a week for like 3 months for your final exam.

ReputationRep:
    art is probably easier to get an A* in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    art is probably easier to get an A* in.
    I would agree because with DT and Drama it would require a lot of hard work and commitment.

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT DO DRAMA it is a huge regret of mine and I wish I hadn't taken it, the grade boundaries are too high and it's very opinionated

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.