Chaspden
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
HELP- I have to choose GCSE options tonight and I'm debating about doing Art or Drama. I enjoy both yet they have an equal (large amount of) coursework. I can't see myself doing art at A Level however, drama would be a maybe... I'd feel more motivated going to art and would be worried that I wouldn't be independent enough in Drama. Arghh
pearlgrey
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well I don't know how much use I can be considering that I don't take either, but I know people who do (I'm in year 11 though so course might be different for you). Art is apparently a lot more stressful purely because you need to spend so much time on it, which means that you have less time for other subjects. However if you are passionate about it and don't mind devoting a lot of time to art then you could still find it enjoyable. Drama is supposedly not as stressful although you need to be able to write a lot in a limited amount of time during the written exams. Performances are obviously hard work too but as long as you put the effort in you should be ok. If you would consider taking drama at A level but wouldn't take art then it makes more sense to take drama, although I don't think it's essential to have taken it for GCSE to study it at A level at all sixths forms. But either would be fine, if you think you would enjoy art more (despite the workload) then there's no reason not to do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
I don't think they do have an equal amount of coursework, the workload for art is, in my opinion, higher. If you think you might like to take drama at A level then your decision is made - do drama.
TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by pearlgrey)
Well I don't know how much use I can be considering that I don't take either, but I know people who do (I'm in year 11 though so course might be different for you). Art is apparently a lot more stressful purely because you need to spend so much time on it, which means that you have less time for other subjects. However if you are passionate about it and don't mind devoting a lot of time to art then you could still find it enjoyable. Drama is supposedly not as stressful although you need to be able to write a lot in a limited amount of time during the written exams. Performances are obviously hard work too but as long as you put the effort in you should be ok. If you would consider taking drama at A level but wouldn't take art then it makes more sense to take drama, although I don't think it's essential to have taken it for GCSE to study it at A level at all sixths forms. But either would be fine, if you think you would enjoy art more (despite the workload) then there's no reason not to do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since I do both Drama and Art GCSE's I would say that everyone is different because some people would say that Art is time consuming and pretty much everyone says that. But personally I don't find it time consuming since I produce a lot of work in a short time. It depends on your speed and how much your willing to commit to it. Art is a really fun subject you get to visit galleries and coursework is not bad since your just investigating artists and ideas to lead to your final piece.

As for Drama it's one of the most hardest subjects I would say since my predicted grade is a C or B compared to Art being an A/A*. The thing with drama is that it's divided between writing and practical work. Where you have to visit theaters and write reviews and techniques they use. I preferred this over the practical work because I wasn't good at body language and voice. Since acting wasn't for me. But if your good at acting then you should pick it. Especially if your committed to go to rehearsals at least 3-5 times or more a week for like 3 months for your final exam.
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
art is probably easier to get an A* in.
TheAlchemistress
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ChickenMadness)
art is probably easier to get an A* in.
I would agree because with DT and Drama it would require a lot of hard work and commitment.
evab12345
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
DO NOT DO DRAMA it is a huge regret of mine and I wish I hadn't taken it, the grade boundaries are too high and it's very opinionated
Coolio1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I’m thinking of doing art and drama I’m not amazing at drama so I don’t know if I want to do it plus I don’t want to spend half my life at rehearsals
Last edited by Coolio1234; 9 months ago
tansrr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Drama is really fun. Im not the best at acting, but I picked it so it could help improve my confidence and it really has. As for rehearsals, I'm in Year 11 right now and apart from a Saturday session we did a week prior to our November performance, and probably one lunchtime a week there were hardly any rehearsals. Also, when you get past your final performance in late Feb/early March, there's literally nothing more to do in Drama except for the written GCSE exam.

I'd say don't pick Art unless its something your really very passionate about and good at.

BTW: I got a 7 in my Drama written Mock and 13/15 (grade 8) on my performance -- no prior acting except for a play about Jesus' birth in primary lol
Coolio1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by tansrr)
Drama is really fun. Im not the best at acting, but I picked it so it could help improve my confidence and it really has. As for rehearsals, I'm in Year 11 right now and apart from a Saturday session we did a week prior to our November performance, and probably one lunchtime a week there were hardly any rehearsals. Also, when you get past your final performance in late Feb/early March, there's literally nothing more to do in Drama except for the written GCSE exam.

I'd say don't pick Art unless its something your really very passionate about and good at.

BTW: I got a 7 in my Drama written Mock and 13/15 (grade 8) on my performance -- no prior acting except for a play about Jesus' birth in primary lol
Is the written exam hard cos l like drama but I am really bad at English and writing fast
tansrr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I wouldn’t say it’s hard. Some of the skills applied are similar to English Literature but not exactly the same. You must talk about audience impact for questions about light, costume, set design and sound but that’s it.

However I would say that good English skills are ideal for the writing segment of drama (trust me if your English grades increase so will your drama ones for the written exam. The writing segment isn’t something you necessarily have to revise too much for also.

In addition, don’t ever think your “really bad” at anything. Through year 10 and 11 I was getting 5s in my Maths mocks; maths being the subject I considered as my “worst” one. However I got a 7 in my February mock
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (68)
27.53%
No - I have already returned home (27)
10.93%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
20.65%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (26)
10.53%
No - I live at home during term anyway (75)
30.36%

Watched Threads