Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing some questions from my text book and I actually can't find any answers. But my Ph calculation on part C looks very wrong.What have I done wrong?
    Attachment 616074616082
    Attachment 616074616078616000
    Attachment 616074616078
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    You seem to have found Ka from the pKa, then used that Ka to find pKa again - you've then used the original pKa instead of Ka

ReputationRep:
    You use the pKa value of 4.32 rather than the Ka value.

Ka = 10-pKa

Also, when working out the new concs of HA and A-, you should have just realised that HA is a 1:4 dilution and a A- is 3:4 dilution. Notice that the conc of HA is 1/4 what it was before adding the A-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    You use the pKa value of 4.32 rather than the Ka value.

Ka = 10-pKa

Also, when working out the new concs of HA and A-, you should have just realised that HA is a 1:4 dilution and a A- is 3:4 dilution. Notice that the conc of HA is 1/4 what it was before adding the A-
    (Original post by h3rmit)
    You seem to have found Ka from the pKa, then used that Ka to find pKa again - you've then used the original pKa instead of Ka
    Ah okay thank you

ReputationRep:
    Actually, question a.) the Ka= [H+] because a [HA] and [A-] cancel out as both their conc is 0.1moldm-3

Since Ka= [H+] and and Ka= 4.786x10-5

Then [H+] also = 4.786x10-5
    So ph = -log[H+]
    -log[4.786x10-5]
    Ph= 4.32

Do get my reasoning? Why would this be wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onthedancefloor)
    Actually, question a.) the Ka= [H+] because a [HA] and [A-] cancel out as both their conc is 0.1moldm-3

Since Ka= [H+] and and Ka= 4.786x10-5

Then [H+] also = 4.786x10-5
    So ph = -log[H+]
    -log[4.786x10-5]
    Ph= 4.32

Do get my reasoning? Why would this be wrong?
    It would me much simpler to just note that:

Ka = [H+] x [A-]/[HA] = [H+]
    -log Ka = -log [H+] i.e. pKa (given in Q) = pH

This works when [HA] = [A-]. The easiest way to do this is to get a weak acid and add half the number of mol of OH- needed to fully neutralise it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.