Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing some questions from my text book and I actually can't find any answers. But my Ph calculation on part C looks very wrong.What have I done wrong?
    Attachment 616074616082
    Attachment 616074616078616000
    Attachment 616074616078
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    You seem to have found Ka from the pKa, then used that Ka to find pKa again - you've then used the original pKa instead of Ka

ReputationRep:
    You use the pKa value of 4.32 rather than the Ka value.

Ka = 10-pKa

Also, when working out the new concs of HA and A-, you should have just realised that HA is a 1:4 dilution and a A- is 3:4 dilution. Notice that the conc of HA is 1/4 what it was before adding the A-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    You use the pKa value of 4.32 rather than the Ka value.

Ka = 10-pKa

Also, when working out the new concs of HA and A-, you should have just realised that HA is a 1:4 dilution and a A- is 3:4 dilution. Notice that the conc of HA is 1/4 what it was before adding the A-
    (Original post by h3rmit)
    You seem to have found Ka from the pKa, then used that Ka to find pKa again - you've then used the original pKa instead of Ka
    Ah okay thank you

ReputationRep:
    Actually, question a.) the Ka= [H+] because a [HA] and [A-] cancel out as both their conc is 0.1moldm-3

Since Ka= [H+] and and Ka= 4.786x10-5

Then [H+] also = 4.786x10-5
    So ph = -log[H+]
    -log[4.786x10-5]
    Ph= 4.32

Do get my reasoning? Why would this be wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onthedancefloor)
    Actually, question a.) the Ka= [H+] because a [HA] and [A-] cancel out as both their conc is 0.1moldm-3

Since Ka= [H+] and and Ka= 4.786x10-5

Then [H+] also = 4.786x10-5
    So ph = -log[H+]
    -log[4.786x10-5]
    Ph= 4.32

Do get my reasoning? Why would this be wrong?
    It would me much simpler to just note that:

Ka = [H+] x [A-]/[HA] = [H+]
    -log Ka = -log [H+] i.e. pKa (given in Q) = pH

This works when [HA] = [A-]. The easiest way to do this is to get a weak acid and add half the number of mol of OH- needed to fully neutralise it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 1, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.