Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

iPhones are nothing special... am I missing something? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I had an iPhone SE and 7 for around two weeks, one after the other - I cancelled both contracts in the end because I didn't feel they were anything special and I could buy a £50 "average" phone and be happy. They're awful for their price tag.

Why does everyone pay £600-1000 for some piece of metal?

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe you.How can someone not like an iPhone 7?I badly want one.

ReputationRep:
    They used to do a few things very well, with obsessive attention to detail. Since Jobs left us, the software quality has gone down markedly, and they're now competing on name and, for some, style. I assume that some have bought into the brand (Mac, iPad, AppleTV etc), so continue to buy Apple products so that their devices integrate with each other.

I'm not sure about a £50 phone being equivalent, but there are better phones that are significantly cheaper, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fahima1)
    Trust me, it's not worth it. People are just showboating when they flash it around and start crying when they get robbed and stabbed! Just work hard in life and you'll be okay and might have the option to buy one then, AS A LAST RESORT.

ReputationRep:
    -no headphone jack
    -barely different from previous models, except no jack

ReputationRep:
    iPhone overrated: yes.
    £50 jobby equal: no.

If you use any apps then the second you use an old phone and, by default, older processor, the lack of speed will make you want to throw the thing off a cliff.

ReputationRep:
    when people see the apple badge, they just throw money

most £400 phones can easily compete with it

ReputationRep:
    I have a 40 pound phone and have no idea what people have need for in the more expensive ones beyond a faster processor. I don't even need more than 1gb memory. What on earth do you people use your phones for?

ReputationRep:
    I have an iPhone 7+ but I found my Motorola V3 and it's now my main use for calls.. there's nothing more empowering than flipping your phone closed at the end of a call, it's one thing Apple can never compete with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dat Tall Guy)
    I have a 40 pound phone and have no idea what people have need for in the more expensive ones beyond a faster processor. I don't even need more than 1gb memory. What on earth do you people use your phones for?
    Everything

ReputationRep:
    Can't see myself ever buying a non apple phone, there's just a clunky feel about androids which i don't like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Everything
    My phone is a glorified alarm clock.

am i missing something as well?

ReputationRep:
      Because lots of people got stuck in the Apple products vortex quite early on with the older iPhones and even iPods. By this I mean, iTunes, etc... and they can't be bothered to change to Android because they will have to import of their **** to the new systems.
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      I dropped my phone in the bath the other night. Good thing I've got a Samsung S5. :cool: I also dropped my S3 from the top of the fridge onto a tiled floor (a good 6 feet) and the music didn't even skip a beat (although the case probably helped with that one (highly recommend Otterbox to y'all)).

I hate using Apple products, they never do what I want. I was trying to find out how much data my mother-in-law used in December when I was at her's but for some reason you have to manually reset the iphone at the start of each billing period, there's no way to do it automatically. What's up with that?? :/
      • Very Important Poster
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      Easy, you just don't like it.

ReputationRep:
      Everyone look into oneplusone .

ReputationRep:
      I swear iPhones have like a 2 minute battery life? My family has them and they last nowhere as long as my phone does.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FIFA 18)
      I had an iPhone SE and 7 for around two weeks, one after the other - I cancelled both contracts in the end because I didn't feel they were anything special and I could buy a £50 "average" phone and be happy. They're awful for their price tag.

Why does everyone pay £600-1000 for some piece of metal?
      Bro, I Totally Agree with you. They aren't special, It's just that they can do loads of things that aren't necessary on a phone. I Have a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini Which I picked up recently for just £60 Brand New. It can do everything I want it to so spending an Extra £500 (Average Price) for some extra pointless things is confusing to me. Its possibly just that some people find it a way to showboat their money. Buying expensive phones puts strain on families that have a low income and doesn't make sense to me.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by gwaggy)
      I swear iPhones have like a 2 minute battery life? My family has them and they last nowhere as long as my phone does.
      What Phone do you have bro?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.