The Student Room Group

Horror Housemate Stories

This thread is for you all to post about your experiences with horror housemates. I'll start with this which I posted on another thread but it really does deserve a place of its own!

I lived with a boy who obviously used to sit on the loo and pick his nose as the wall next to it had bogies stuck to it and somehow (this still baffles me) he managed to get poo on the toilet seat (at the back of it)!
I also had to put up with puke in the kitchen sink.
And he never washed he bed sheets the whole time he was there, it makes me shudder to think about it.

He was actually a nice person he'd just got no clue! I used to shout at him lots though.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I lived with an international student who decided to move her boyfriend in with her - they were both living together in a very small, typical halls room. He knew that he wasn't supposed to be there, and he knew that he'd been seen on the CCTV because the uni had warned them, so his solution to this was to stay in the room. He literally did not leave the room, apart from to come into the kitchen, for nearly six months. Naturally this took a toll on the relationship, and the arguments became louder and louder, and more violent. It got to the point where we could hear them screaming, shouting, hitting each other, her screaming as she locked herself in the en-suite to get away from him and him hammering on the door. It was awful, and all we could do was call security. After a few months of nightly fights, they eventually realised that living that that was not a good idea, and he moved out.
I lived with a girl who kept her used sanitary pads under the bed. We weren't able to work out what the smell was until she left. 52 (I'll NEVER forget) rotten pads on the floor under the bed.

Enjoy your lunch people.
Reply 3
ItzyBitzyBella that's disgusting, who had to remove them?
Reply 4
yuck!

i think washing up, or not following cleaning rotas, or keeping the flat in the mess is the worst i've had.
Reply 5
My university has a huge recycling program. There are bins outside every door for paper, cans etc and we are responsible to take it to the bins, not the cleaners.

Now I was in the kitchen one day and my housemate just came in walked to the fridge/freezer and dumped three bags of recycable stuff there (its where we keep it for the moment until we take it out). And I had a massive go at him saying it would take him just 30 seconds to walk out the door and put them in the bin. And he kepted saying that it was the cleaners job to do it. Eventually, I endded up shouting at him saying that I was the only person in the house who takes the stuff over and the only things I'm responisble for were some drinks cans. He walked out after that shaking his head and another housemate said it was about time I said something about it.
gems2381
ItzyBitzyBella that's disgusting, who had to remove them?

We did. She then had the ****ing nerve to ring a week later and ask when was she getting her deposit back. We couldn't let the room for a month because we needed to get new carpet and a new bed. The stench had worked it's way in through the matress.

She was politely told to go have an intimate sexual relationship with herself.
Reply 7
I would've told her what a dirty disgusting cow she was then sent her a cleaning bill! I bet you were gagging when you found them.
gems2381
I would've told her what a dirty disgusting cow she was then sent her a cleaning bill! I bet you were gagging when you found them.

We did something a bit worse. She had given us as referees when she she started looking for somewhere new to live. We told the truth. I wasn't going to let her ruin some other poor gits house. It wasn't a once off thing, it was going on since she moved in so she was obviously going to keep doing it.

In the end the nicest reference I could give her was "she should have better personal hygiene but always paid her rent on time".
Thats ****ing vile. I'm thinking of renting with people but this is putting me off (slightly).
Reply 10
these are one offs - not everyones this bad!
Reply 11
Kirsty is right it is rare to find someone so unhygienic and down right disgusting. You'd be very unlucky to find one!

Maybe use this thread as a checklist when you meet possible housemates haha give them as quiz based on our horror stories.
Ichamackalooloo
Thats ****ing vile. I'm thinking of renting with people but this is putting me off (slightly).

If there was a thread about wonderful housemates you would see most are absolutely fine. One of my best friends is a woman I started sharing a house with when I was 17. Lots of my friends are still friends with some former room-mates.
Reply 13
Stories about wonderful housemates just aren't as entertaining :biggrin:
Reply 14
thats true :smile:
my girlfriend told me about a girl who used to put used pads down the back of the sofa - they were found by her flatmate and her boyfriend was moving out.
Reply 16
Why the hell would anyone do this kind of thing? What is wrong with using a bin!? It just defies logic.
gems2381
Why the hell would anyone do this kind of thing? What is wrong with using a bin!? It just defies logic.

i really dont know but the girl in question used to eat cat treats too
Reply 18
Ok so she was just a general weirdo then :biggrin: did you get on with her?
Reply 19
yuck - that is one weird person!!! My cleaner in uni halls says that some international students used to do it too...(the stuff under the bed) its a weird thing to do.

Latest