Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I'm a fifth year currently studying 5 highers, and so far I've been getting A's in everything except maths. I'm working just as hard in it as everything else but I can't seem to retain the procedures or help making silly mistakes all the time. After getting a C in my prelim I'm really worried about the exam, can anyone please give me any tips/advice on remembering all the different problems and how to revise properly? I really need to get an A first time.

ReputationRep:
    Just keep doing past papers and marking them, noting things you get wrong and perhaps doing questions or looking over the note. Nothing special, i'm sure you've been told to do that 1000 times already. I done really well in maths last year and thats all I done.

Heres a helpful youtube revision channel for maths;
    https://www.youtube.com/user/DLBmaths
    Also, the maths papers haven't changed much with CfE, so you can do all of the old ones until about 1998, then the questions get a bit weird and theres some different content.
    https://sites.google.com/a/edubuzz.o...rs/home/higher

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, don't write out notes because i made this mistake last year and now i'm resitting it in 6th year :/ Only do questions and then if you're stuck refer back to the notes!

The youtube channel and the website that @ferm4t referenced are extremely helpful, also websites such as maths revision.com and tons of Scottish schools have lots of resources (Queen Anne High School is fab). I like to go through the maths revision.com power points topic by topic then if theres any questions I'm stuck on ill check the answer and usually understand where I've went wrong then do the question myself a bit after to see if i remember my error, this makes it stick in your head! And ultimately if you can't do a question then ask a friend, teacher or even on here!

I would recommend getting the easier topics stuck in your head for definite so you can answer any question that comes up about them, for example - Straight Line, Recurrence Relations, Differentiation, Integration because these always come up and are usually straight forward when you break them down Plus you're bound to get a big marker stationary point question (differentiation) and an area of a curve question (integration).

As everyone will tell you, doing past paper questions over and over is the best way of achieving a good pass! The prelims tend to be harder than the actual exam so try not worry too much about your result. You clearly want an A and if you try hard you'll definitely be capable of one! Learn from your mistakes in the prelim also of course and feel free to message me if you have any problems with the course, I'm happy to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ErinPMx)
    Whatever you do, don't write out notes because i made this mistake last year and now i'm resitting it in 6th year
    100%, when I started revising i done this and the stuff I was writing was going right over my head. For most people maths is something you just need to drill in to your head by doing questions.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ferm4t;69894522]
    Whatever you do, don't write out notes because i made this mistake last year and now i'm resitting it in 6th year/QUOTE]

100%, when I started revising i done this and the stuff I was writing was going right over my head. For most people maths is something you just need to drill in to your head by doing questions.
    Yeah, exactly! It was a very stupid mistake of mine haha. I think i just thought i was doing at least some revision and this way i could memorise the ways of answering the questions but really nothing was going in :/

Have you sat Higher Maths? Or are you currently studying the course?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, exactly! It was a very stupid mistake of mine haha. I think i just thought i was doing at least some revision and this way i could memorise the ways of answering the questions but really nothing was going in :/

Have you sat Higher Maths? Or are you currently studying the course?
    I done Higher last year, currently doing Advanced Higher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferm4t)
    I done Higher last year, currently doing Advanced Higher
    Well done and best of luck with Advanced!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation, I completely messed up on the prelim. I think I'll start doing past paper questions only.

Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferm4t)
    Just keep doing past papers and marking them, noting things you get wrong and perhaps doing questions or looking over the note. Nothing special, i'm sure you've been told to do that 1000 times already. I done really well in maths last year and thats all I done.

Heres a helpful youtube revision channel for maths;
    https://www.youtube.com/user/DLBmaths
    Also, the maths papers haven't changed much with CfE, so you can do all of the old ones until about 1998, then the questions get a bit weird and theres some different content.
    https://sites.google.com/a/edubuzz.o...rs/home/higher
    This is very helpful thank you! Going over questions in these videos is a good idea

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, don't write out notes because i made this mistake last year and now i'm resitting it in 6th year :/ Only do questions and then if you're stuck refer back to the notes!

The youtube channel and the website that @ferm4t referenced are extremely helpful, also websites such as maths revision.com and tons of Scottish schools have lots of resources (Queen Anne High School is fab). I like to go through the maths revision.com power points topic by topic then if theres any questions I'm stuck on ill check the answer and usually understand where I've went wrong then do the question myself a bit after to see if i remember my error, this makes it stick in your head! And ultimately if you can't do a question then ask a friend, teacher or even on here!

I would recommend getting the easier topics stuck in your head for definite so you can answer any question that comes up about them, for example - Straight Line, Recurrence Relations, Differentiation, Integration because these always come up and are usually straight forward when you break them down Plus you're bound to get a big marker stationary point question (differentiation) and an area of a curve question (integration).

As everyone will tell you, doing past paper questions over and over is the best way of achieving a good pass! The prelims tend to be harder than the actual exam so try not worry too much about your result. You clearly want an A and if you try hard you'll definitely be capable of one! Learn from your mistakes in the prelim also of course and feel free to message me if you have any problems with the course, I'm happy to help
    Ah this is what I did in revision for prelim. Read over my notes and tried a few questions :/ past papers definitely seem to be the way to go, but I'm hardly ever right! It's sort of demoralising

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.