:lovie:

Spoiler:
    Show

:banana2:

:bawling:

• Welcome Squad

good revision day today :work:
    • Welcome Squad

Perestroika = reconstruction of the political and economic system established by the Communist Party
    Glasnost = Soviet policy of open discussion of political and social issues

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Perestroika = reconstruction of the political and economic system established by the Communist Party
    Glasnost = Soviet policy of open discussion of political and social issues
    end of the soviet union 1982-1991 :gah:
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Jirga)
    end of the soviet union 1982-1991 :gah:
    yessssss :five: and the fall of the Berlin Wall, it's sad really cos for the coursework we only did Russia from 1800 to 1917 but it would have been interesting to do the USSR and stuff and would have helped with the Germany side :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Hey hamster

ReputationRep:
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Skill Twix)
    Hey hamster
    :wavey:

(Original post by Meany Pie)

:hugs:

you will be pleased to know im going out drinking tomorrow then :cheers:

ReputationRep:
    :wavey:

:hugs:

you will be pleased to know im going out drinking tomorrow then :cheers:
    How have you been?
    • Welcome Squad

I think part of this is all in the mind.
    For instance i was thinking i hope the question isnt on the position of women and then when i thought about it i realised that i actually know a lot of stuff about women in German society throughout the years. Just need to have more confidence with my own knowledge

:gfight:

(Original post by Skill Twix)
    How have you been?
    ill and busy to sum it up in two words wbu ? :hugs:
    • Welcome Squad

Target for today:

Get the Weimar Republic finished then go onto Nazi Germany, even though they kind of overlap cos of Hitler's rise to power

ReputationRep:
    I think part of this is all in the mind.
    For instance i was thinking i hope the question isnt on the position of women and then when i thought about it i realised that i actually know a lot of stuff about women in German society throughout the years. Just need to have more confidence with my own knowledge

:gfight:

ill and busy to sum it up in two words wbu ? :hugs:
    Awwww get well soon. Been aight too
    • Welcome Squad

Can't take Hitler and Papen and Schleicher and Van Der Lubbe and Hindenburg and all the rest of them anymore
    gonna do some PD revision instead and come back to them in a few days
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You've got this :hugs:
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Midnightmemories)
    You've got this :hugs:
    Thank you lovely :hugs::lovehug:

-----------------
    Gonna put this here to remind me to look over it the most cos it's the area i find the hardest:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Quick Response Manufacturing (QRM):
    QRM = the organisation of production to manufacture to customer demand rather than manufacturing products to stock
    -Consumer demand changes rapidly so many industries can’t manufacture items to go into storage before sale (might not sell)
    -Manufacturer’s often ‘Make to Order’
    -E.g. Jaguar = every vehicle has a customer before being made, avoids expensive storage however customer has to wait longer for product
    -QRM systems reduce this waiting time

Electronic Point of Sale (EPOS):
    EPOS =The use of barcode readers to send sales data to manufacturers and distributors in order to maintain stock levels
    -Bar-coded products laser scanned at point of sale, data sent to distributor and manufacturer
    -Enables sale of item to be registered which means it can restocked
    -Allows manufacturers to produce items ‘just in time’ rather than storing them
    -Essential point of QRM

Just in Time (JIT):
    JIT = organisation of production so customers get their orders just in time. Avoids stocking materials and finished products
    -Manufacturers organise their suppliers to deliver materials and components just in time for when they are needed in production
    -Avoids large amounts of stock and cluttering of assembly lines
    -In practise Jaguar for example may have enough stock for one shift as opposed to one car
    -Responsibility of delivering materials and parts on supplier

Kanbans:
    -Control of stock levels uses computer systems
    -Parts for car manufacture delivered in containers then placed at the work cell where they are needed
    -Each container labelled with barcode
    -Container labelled with barcode identifying the part and the quantity contained within
    -Inside the container is a card with the same information (a ‘Kaban’)
    -As operator uses up items in container card is placed in a chute which goes into a box for the store workers
    -When kabans collected they are scanned using electronic data exchange/interchange (EDE/EDI)
    -Parts automatically re-ordered from supplier

Sequencing:
    -Essential part of JIT, refinement that means the parts are not only delivered at the right time but to the right workstation
    -Once parts arrive at factory, need to go to individual work cells at the right time
    -Controlled by computers

Master Production Schedules (MPS):
    MPS = scheduled system used to organise the work to be completed within a set time period (sets the quantity of each product to be made in the time period)
    -In car industry done using an ‘order based schedule’ as cars are made to individual order
    -Cars would be assembled in order priority
    -This requires materials requirements planning (MRP) (a software system for work cells to order materials and components from suppliers when they are required)

Telematics:
    -System used to electronically track a product from receipt of order through to assembly and dispatch
    -In car industry customer orders converted to data programmed into a ‘black box’
    -Then placed on a car as it goes through each part of assembly
    -Progress of the order can then be tracked and that it matches customer order

Flexible Manufacturing Systems (FMS):
    FMS = organising production equipment to allow manufacture of a variety of different products as opposed to a single item
    -Useful for changes in consumer demand or for items made in batches rather than products with a constant steady demand e.g. toothpaste tubes and toilet roll
    -Press formers, CNC laser cutters, punches, lathes and milling machines and robot arms

FMS (Flexible Manufacturing) Cells:
    -Organising production into cells of machines performing different tasks
    -Laid out in a U shape to enable one person to operate several machines
    -May include a buffer store (temporary store used to hold partially completed work) as some machines work faster than others
    -Host computer needed to control sequencing of jobs, monitor status and performance of each machine in cell
    -Host computer will download CNC part programs according to customer orders
    -Possible to have several programmes running and different products can be made in the same cell

Computer-Integrated Manufacture (CIM):
    CIM = the use of computers to link together business and manufacturing data and the control of production in order to make production more efficient
    -Best practise in modern manufacturing is ‘concurrent manufacturing’ (where all groups are involved in the design and development of a product throughout the whole project)
    -Computers used to assist in this
    -Marketing data, specification, designs and development drawings shared over a centrally controlled database
    -As each member works on the project the database is updated
    -Leads to faster development of the product
    -CIM can also involve the central control of computer systems that organise production scheduling i.e. management of stock levels
    • Welcome Squad

The night of the long knives was in 1934 NOT 1942 (why on earth would it be in 1942 during WWII :facepalm:)

then the British night of the long knives was in 1962

too many knives lol
    • Welcome Squad

and the Wannsee conference was actually in 1942
    • Welcome Squad

From memory:

Tempering:
    To make steel tough in certain places, heating then controlled cooling. Used on chisels etc where the handles have to be tough compared to the blade which will be hard

Case hardening:
    Soaking steel in carbon granules then heating. Steel absorbs the carbon on the area applied and it becomes harder and more brittle on these areas due to the increased carbon content. Used on train wheels, have to be tough in the middle with a hard exterior (to withstand use on a track)

Annealing:
    Done to reverse work hardening where the metal becomes brittle due to being bent. Metal heated to from 1/3rd to 1/2 of it's melting point then cooled. Helps make the metal more malleable and easier to work. Aluminium as a case study

Tanalising:
    Wood placed in a vacuum cylinder. Wood treatment sprayed into the cylinder, vacuum within the wood helps suck the treatment into the wood pores. Hydraulic pressure applied to the outside of wood to help the treatment soak in

hopefully those are right cos kept getting confused between them all

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.