The Student Room Group

History or Sociology A-Level?

I'm really torn over what to take for my 3rd A-Level. So far I've got psychology and english language & literature but I don't know whether to take history or sociology as my 3rd.
The possibility of taking 4 A-Levels for me is slim because I know I'd find it hard to balance them out and focus on each so I think it would be safe for me to stick to 3.
I'm hoping to have a career in psychology as a counsellor or psychotherapist but my backup is something like law or maybe even journalism.
I'm also currently taking history for GCSE and I'm targeted an A* but I'm interested in sociology and I know taking history for another 2 years would drive me insane but its regarded as a good A-Level by Uni's???
I don't know, I really need some help with this!
Do History. You haven't got a facilitating subject and you'll need one if you're considering a good uni or law. History is so much more enjoyable at a level.
Reply 2
Don't do History if you don't think you'll enjoy it because you'll be doing a lot of it for two whole years. I agree though with rosie.mm about you not having a facilitating subject. Have you considered changing enlish lang and lit to english lit? It's a facilitating subject and is respected more than lang and lit. If you do, you could do Sociology with the two other A Levels and it wouldn't be an issue. Have you also considered doing 4 at AS and then dropping one for A2?
Original post by rosie.mn
Do History. You haven't got a facilitating subject and you'll need one if you're considering a good uni or law. History is so much more enjoyable at a level.

Taking a so-called 'facilitating subject' for the sake of it is not a good idea, especially if the subject drives you insane. Better to have an A grade in sociology than a C in history.
Reply 4
Hey, socicology is very interesting, I'm studing it myself, defintiely would recommend, never been a big fan of history so i might be a little biased
Original post by Snufkin
Taking a so-called 'facilitating subject' for the sake of it is not a good idea, especially if the subject drives you insane. Better to have an A grade in sociology than a C in history.

To be fair, I do agree. People push STEM subjects for the sake of it on here and it frustrates me. However, since OP said they were considering law, it's best to have a subject like history to keep options open. They said they're predicted an A* too, which shows they're good at it. If they were doing English Lit instead of combined, I'd for sure be suggesting sociology as it's a very interesting subject.
(edited 7 years ago)
I studied both. I would say choose History over Sociology. History is highly respected with a reputation for being analytical, argumentative, complex and has more variety of options when it comes to uni. If your planning to do 3 A-Levels, choose History. It will allow you to go into careers such as Law, Journalism and aspects of Sociology itself via Politics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by CookieSusee
Don't do History if you don't think you'll enjoy it because you'll be doing a lot of it for two whole years. I agree though with rosie.mm about you not having a facilitating subject. Have you considered changing enlish lang and lit to english lit? It's a facilitating subject and is respected more than lang and lit. If you do, you could do Sociology with the two other A Levels and it wouldn't be an issue. Have you also considered doing 4 at AS and then dropping one for A2?

Yeah, I've given it some thought and I think I will do 4 at AS and drop one as I'm so undecided. Can you explain the bit about english lit being more respected than lang and lit? I honestly thought it was the other way round as it would cover more skills.
Thanks!:smile:
Reply 8
To be fair, I do agree. People push STEM subjects for the sake of it on here and it frustrates me. However, since OP said they were considering law, it's best to have a subject like history to keep options open. They said they're predicted an A* too, which shows they're good at it. If they were doing English Lit instead of combined, I'd for sure be suggesting sociology as it's a very interesting subject.

Thank you! I think this is maybe the most likely option for me, I'll look into lit a bit more before I make my mind up completely but thanks:smile:
Original post by hxlliii
Thank you! I think this is maybe the most likely option for me, I'll look into lit a bit more before I make my mind up completely but thanks:smile:

History does get more interesting I promise! Also, Lit is a very good choice. English language isn't what people always think it is, it's about analysing words and their uses and lexis etc. It's not creative writing. Lit is definitely more interesting, at least that's the general consensus amongst my friends. It's also very easy if you're a strong writer.
Please. Do. History. You will probably be more interested in history - I wanted to do it but didn't get the grade but would have done it anyway - I did Sociology on the new spec and there's a whole load of info you've got to learn but its pretty easy to understand - its just putting it into context on the exam paper.
History does get more interesting I promise! Also, Lit is a very good choice. English language isn't what people always think it is, it's about analysing words and their uses and lexis etc. It's not creative writing. Lit is definitely more interesting, at least that's the general consensus amongst my friends. It's also very easy if you're a strong writer.

I do history, english lang and lit, and psychology. I would do English Lit, but my school does not offer it , would that put me at a disadvantage for a top RG uni?
Original post by Blancosdos
I do history, english lang and lit, and psychology. I would do English Lit, but my school does not offer it , would that put me at a disadvantage for a top RG uni?

No! English Lit is more highly regarded, that's just a fact. But you're already doing a facilitating subject (History) which means that you're fine. If you're applying for a RG it's a general suggestion to take a facilitating subject. Don't worry about that :smile:
Original post by hxlliii
Yeah, I've given it some thought and I think I will do 4 at AS and drop one as I'm so undecided. Can you explain the bit about english lit being more respected than lang and lit? I honestly thought it was the other way round as it would cover more skills.
Thanks!:smile:

That's good!
Honestly, I have no idea why but many universities like English Lit over Lit and Lang. Maybe it's because although both are covered, they aren't covered as in depth as Lit would be if it was taken alone, if that makes sense?

Quick Reply

Latest