Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    So A-levels are the last thing I want to think about right now what with my GCSES, but I have to hand in my choices for subjects I want to take next year by tomorrow and I'd like a little advice. I've put down Philosophy & Ethics, English Lit/Lang (would have loved to have done pure English Literature, but out of my year I was the only one to put it down! So it's not running) and History but I'm starting to question it? Was just wondering if anyone who took/ is taking mostly essay-based subjects at A-level or similar subjects and just about what your experience was like/is so far e.g managing the work load, diversity in lessons, homework etc. --Please note that when I go into sixth form AS levels won't exist , so I have to pick three and stick them all out for exams at the end of A2 rather than drop one like in previous years--(Planning on going into Law or perhaps history after my A-levels).

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I find essay based subjects involve a lot more out of lesson work (in my experience anyway). I study history and we do at least one essay a week. However, some of my friends take all essay based subjects and are constantly writing. It is a lot of work and stress! But if its something you really enjoy then perhaps it will be perfect for you! All subjects are hard and take effort, i just find the essay based subjects involve just that little bit more to get the exam technique down as its a big leap from GCSE! But these subjects are perfect if you plan on going into law.

Good luck with your GCSEs!

ReputationRep:
    I know a dude who does all essay subjects. He hasn't killed himself yet. I do AQA philosophy and the writing isn't really that intense compared to other "wordy" subjects, but your spec might be a bit different. Any coursework in it or nah?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=AdalinaH;69888140]

Hiya,
    Thank you so much for your reply, you've helped a lot to calm my worries!
    All the best for the future lovely 😊

ReputationRep:
    These are good A Levels, a good combination for law. Have you thought about doing politics maybe?

Also, you should know that AS will still exist but they just won't be used for your A2 grade. Basically, they will be separate qualifications that your school will pay separately for. Did your school say that they will not be offering AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    I know a dude who does all essay subjects. He hasn't killed himself yet. I do AQA philosophy and the writing isn't really that intense compared to other "wordy" subjects, but your spec might be a bit different. Any coursework in it or nah?
    Ahaa, fingers crossed I won't either lool. & ohh cool, how are you finding the content of philosophy? Just a little bit on the fence rn with it so it'd be good to know how you're finding it. & Yeahh there's a little coursework just in English and history, one essay for both so a little like GCSE controlled assessments in that sense I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieSusee)
    These are good A Levels, a good combination for law. Have you thought about doing politics maybe?

Also, you should know that AS will still exist but they just won't be used for your A2 grade. Basically, they will be separate qualifications that your school will pay separately for. Did your school say that they will not be offering AS?
    Actually would have loved to have studied politics but my sixth form doesn't offer it! & ahh I see, was unaware of that but that's probably just the school poorly informing us tbh. They did say that we will not sit exams in lower sixth, whether or not I just assumed that meant no AS levels I'm not to sure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by li_n)
    Actually would have loved to have studied politics but my sixth form doesn't offer it! & ahh I see, was unaware of that but that's probably just the school poorly informing us tbh. They did say that we will not sit exams in lower sixth, whether or not I just assumed that meant no AS levels I'm not to sure!
    That's a shame! If that's the case, then I think your three options are quite good for Law or anything similar. Also, if you're school said that, then I think they don't offer AS levels but you should ask them to make sure.

ReputationRep:
    I do all essay based subjects and its not that bad. I prefer it over sciences and maths .

Btw have you considered applying to other 6th forms? No english lit and politics is a bit...

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be studying law at uni later this year and am currently studying Politics, English Lit/Lang and Pre-U History (which is extremely hard) and EPQ as an extra. I did BTEC law in my AS year because I wanted a taster of it and ended up getting a D* so it didn't look too bad on my UCAS application. When I've gone to uni open days they seem to favour history and English because they help with your academic writing and analysis skills. I've also been told that politics helps considerably because of constitutional law but lots of law students won't have studied it so its not a big deal. I was initially going to be going philosophy but it clashed with BTEC law so I took politics instead. But your choices sound good, as long as you work your ass off, you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by li_n)
    Ahaa, fingers crossed I won't either lool. & ohh cool, how are you finding the content of philosophy? Just a little bit on the fence rn with it so it'd be good to know how you're finding it. & Yeahh there's a little coursework just in English and history, one essay for both so a little like GCSE controlled assessments in that sense I guess.
    I bloomin' love philosophy tbh, applying to do it at uni. A lot of people in the class don't seem to get it at all though, kind of depends on your critical thinking skills I guess. Generally though if you've got good debate skills it shouldn't be all that strenuous as it's basically just an A level in overthinking arguments to death. Content wise it's very easy to pick all the individual concepts up, the bulk of it isn't that difficult to understand if you gel with the subject.

What exam board is philosophy and ethics on though? Philosophy A levels could never hope to get anywhere near covering all the stuff that's ever been done in the field, and some theories and philosophers are way more interesting than others, so it would be good to look at the spec you'd be doing so I could pass full judgement (It's defo not the same as mine, mine's just called "philosophy" even though there's ethics within it as a main part)

Side note: Stuff you've picked is defo good for law afaik

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.