The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance at getting into medical school?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I have a realistic chance of getting into medicine. I understand how competitive it is, but do I have a shot?

In my GCSES I got 8A*s and 1A. I'm currently in year 12 and am predicted As in my 4 subjects.

I have volunteered at brownies since summer 2015, so for about a year and a half. Also during summer I volunteered regularly at a day centre for the elderly and I go in the holidays now. I did a hospital work placement last year and have another placement this summer.

Do I have a chance? What else would it be uselful for me to do?

Thank you!
Your grades and work experience sound good so you definitely have a chance - a lot will come down to the UKCAT and/or BMAT and interview. :smile: maybe try to get a GP placement, do some extra reading on sciencey stuff as well as general healthcare/NHS issues and later make sure to do well in your admissions tests. (Doing lots of practice questions in timed conditions is key.) In your personal statement and interviews you might have to give examples of situations where you've shown things like empathy, teamwork skills, communication skills, leadership skills etc, so if you feel like there's some quality you wouldn't have much to talk about it could be useful to get in these kinds of situations through extracurriculars etc so that you have something to say. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending