Turn on thread page Beta

How many GCSE's do universities look at ?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Some schools only do 9 GCSE's and some do 12 , however this wasn't a problem before as universities even ones including oxford only looked at your top 9 GCSE's , however, as there is no AS level and we sit all of our exams in one year, are universities going to look at all of your GCSE's as I am currently doing 10 and I want to drop one and only do 9 , what should I do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruncher123)
    Some schools only do 9 GCSE's and some do 12 , however this wasn't a problem before as universities even ones including oxford only looked at your top 9 GCSE's , however, as there is no AS level and we sit all of our exams in one year, are universities going to look at all of your GCSE's as I am currently doing 10 and I want to drop one and only do 9 , what should I do
    I think 9 is fine. Universities primarily only really care about how well you perform at A-Levels. Top universities do look at your GCSE results however but once again, if your 9 GCSE results are good then you are fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moltenmo)
    I think 9 is mine. Universities primarily only really care about how well you perform at A-Levels. Top universities do look at your GCSE results however but once again, if your 9 GCSE results are good then you are fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    but that was before the new A-levels were introduced as universities hardly looked at GCSE's due to there being AS grades to look at, however when we apply to university , there won't be any AS-levels as they have gotten rid of them

ReputationRep:
    but that was before the new A-levels were introduced as universities hardly looked at GCSE's due to there being AS grades to look at, however when we apply to university , there won't be any AS-levels as they have gotten rid of them
    You're right. Universities will definitely care about your GCSE results as this will be a deciding factor now. I am guessing mock A-Levels also bear a lot of importance in your chances of admission.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're right. Universities will definitely care about your GCSE results as this will be a deciding factor now. I am guessing mock A-Levels also bear a lot of importance in your chances of admission.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Damn, looks like i can't drop German then and I have to work my ass off for that A* in it, im currently a U standard , but I'm a smart guy, GCSE's are easy

ReputationRep:
    Although they've scrapped AS levels in the reforms, you'll still do internal examinations at the end of year 12, which are used for A-Level predictions

ReputationRep:
    It's top 8 not 9

ReputationRep:
    Damn, looks like i can't drop German then and I have to work my ass off for that A* in it, im currently a U standard , but I'm a smart guy, GCSE's are easy
    Yeah, that U is clearly showing GCSEs are easy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's because i've never done any work in German, my teachers **** and i literally have no pages in my book with work, i just sit there on my phone, I can just revise vocab on memrise and perfect my speaking and writing and i'll easily get that high grade lol, once agian, GCSE's are ****ing easy

ReputationRep:
    I think 9 is fine. Universities primarily only really care about how well you perform at A-Levels. Top universities do look at your GCSE results however but once again, if your 9 GCSE results are good then you are fine.
    Universities will state clearly the minimum GCSE grades (and subjects) they require on each course page on their website.

It has nothing to do with 'top' or otherwise. All Universities are clear about what they require, they dont play games. You need to research each Uni, each course and make sure you meet the requirements for both GCSE and A levels before you apply. If you don't have what they want, they will simply reject you. It really is that simple.

'How to Avoid 5 University Rejections' : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...ity-rejections

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Universities will state clearly the minimum GCSE grades (and subjects) they require on each course page on their website.

It has nothing to do with 'top' or otherwise. All Universities are clear about what they require, they dont play games. You need to research each Uni, each course and make sure you meet the requirements for both GCSE and A levels before you apply. If you don't have what they want, they will simply reject you. It really is that simple.

'How to Avoid 5 University Rejections' : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/con...ity-rejections
    I disagree. Universities can be lenient towards your GCSE results if your A Level results are good.

ReputationRep:
    It's because i've never done any work in German, my teachers **** and i literally have no pages in my book with work, i just sit there on my phone, I can just revise vocab on memrise and perfect my speaking and writing and i'll easily get that high grade lol, once agian, GCSE's are ****ing easy

If you found GCSEs easy you wouldn't need to revise. You think you're a smart guy, but when you realise people are getting As with the same amount of effort, you'll realise you need to buck your ideas up. You're nothing special

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. Universities can be lenient towards your GCSE results if your A Level results are good.
    Do you have a concrete example of this, or is this just 'I assume' or 'Someone told me' - because what you are claiming is not actually true.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a concrete example of this, or is this just 'I assume' or 'Someone told me' - because what you are claiming is not actually true.
    A friend of mine did poorly in his GCSE's (not going to go into specifics here) and during his A-Levels, he achieved some great results which opened his doors to some top universities (of course this had to exclude the top 3 for obvious reasons). Now, he is in his desired university which is in the top 30 rankings. Hopefully, you would consider this no.ranking to be a top university.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine did poorly in his GCSE's (not going to go into specifics here) and during his A-Levels, he achieved some great results which opened his doors to some top universities (of course this had to exclude the top 3 for obvious reasons). Now, he is in his desired university which is in the top 30 rankings. Hopefully, you would consider this no.ranking to be a top university.
    If a 'top' University requires specific GCSEs then A level results will not trump them. Offers are made on achieved and/or predicted/expected grades. Universities do not wait for results to then decide that your GCSEs don't matter.

Certain subjects and/or Unis may not specify GCSEs - but what an applicant does have will be 'scored' and weak GCSEs will bring down an overall academic score. For a 'top' University this is not likely to result in an offer simply because many other applicants will present with higher grades.

I don't find your anecdote convincing.

ReputationRep:
    If a 'top' University requires specific GCSEs then A level results will not trump them. Offers are made on achieved and/or predicted/expected grades. Universities do not wait for results to then decide that your GCSEs don't matter.

Certain subjects and/or Unis may not specify GCSEs - but what an applicant does have will be 'scored' and weak GCSEs will bring down an overall academic score. For a 'top' University this is not likely to result in an offer simply because many other applicants will present with higher grades.

I don't find your anecdote convincing.
    OK, I don't plan on arguing. Also, I would disregard what I have said since the reformed A-Levels mean universities pay even more attention to the GCSE results as this would be a good indicator (alongside the mock exams at A-Levels).

I think the important point here is to do the best you can. At the end of the day, it's your future and you want to maximise your potential. Just work hard and don't disregard your GCSE. I was giving the wrong impression. GCSE's are important, more so than ever before (without sounding too dramatic).

ReputationRep:
    Our school forced us to do 9 if you look at the top universities requirements for their courses they often don't list GCSE but only A-Level requirements but if they do for competitive courses they really don't read too much into it out of 9 Gcses if you can get 5-7 As/A*s then it wouldn't matter at all if you did 9 GCSEs. Ultimately GCSEs is purely about memorisation/basic problem solving and remembering essay writing techniques/quotes. Which mostly everyone can do, someone having done more of that at GCSE doesn't really mean anything.

ReputationRep:
    If you found GCSEs easy you wouldn't need to revise. You think you're a smart guy, but when you realise people are getting As with the same amount of effort, you'll realise you need to buck your ideas up. You're nothing special
    ohhh okay, so your telling me , they're are people out there who just automatically know German ? Them people do listen in lesson and have a good memory, how am I meant to memorise something I have'nt even come across ? Due to me being on my phone for the whole lesson, read my reply next time you idiot

ReputationRep:
    ohhh okay, so your telling me , they're are people out there who just automatically know German ? Them people do listen in lesson and have a good memory, how am I meant to memorise something I have'nt even come across ? Due to me being on my phone for the whole lesson, read my reply next time you idiot
    "Them people"- are you a road man?

I just want to say you're the idiot for being on your phone in lessons. It's easy to say "I would be as smart if I put in the effort" or "I am as smart but don't put in the effort". In the real world, realistically, you aren't going to get anywhere by having this attitude. You will ultimately suffer as those around you progress whilst you with your mentality become stuck with idea. Change your thoughts and start focussing in lessons. You'll see that it really is a great thing.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.