Turn on thread page Beta

Primary Education - career advancement watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

This is my first post so I apologize if it is in the wrong area or has been asked before.

I'm currently studying History BA in my second year.

I am still quite confused about my career path but have done a couple of short term work experiences in classrooms, one in primary education and one in secondary education.

I was initially wanting to go into teaching History at secondary school but lack confidence in my ability to ensure grades are met at A level and GCSE - obviously would be capable but my confidence doesn't allow.

I then thought about primary education, and believe I would be able to teach effectively and enjoy this.

My concern here is career advancement. I know of many positions in secondary schools to advance a teachers skill base and of course as a result the pay level. I like to keep myself busy and am concerned that I may become bored in a primary school as options to take on higher roles are limited?

Also, would having a History degree benefit at all in terms of pay or extra opportunities in a primary school? As I can't help thinking I've wasted 3 years of my life...

Any advice or knowledge is welcome.

Katie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie1997SR)
    Hello,

This is my first post so I apologize if it is in the wrong area or has been asked before.

I'm currently studying History BA in my second year.

I am still quite confused about my career path but have done a couple of short term work experiences in classrooms, one in primary education and one in secondary education.

I was initially wanting to go into teaching History at secondary school but lack confidence in my ability to ensure grades are met at A level and GCSE - obviously would be capable but my confidence doesn't allow.

I then thought about primary education, and believe I would be able to teach effectively and enjoy this.

My concern here is career advancement. I know of many positions in secondary schools to advance a teachers skill base and of course as a result the pay level. I like to keep myself busy and am concerned that I may become bored in a primary school as options to take on higher roles are limited?

Also, would having a History degree benefit at all in terms of pay or extra opportunities in a primary school? As I can't help thinking I've wasted 3 years of my life...

Any advice or knowledge is welcome.

Katie
    Primary. Do primary. Primary’s great. Although I’ll be starting a primary PGCE in September, so I’m biased.

Most primary schools are much smaller than secondary schools and therefore there’s more opportunity to progress than in a secondary.

Teachers are paid the same regardless of degree. However, you obviously need a degree to become a teacher so you won’t have wasted three years of your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Mapache)
    Primary. Do primary. Primary’s great. Although I’ll be starting a primary PGCE in September, so I’m biased.

Most primary schools are much smaller than secondary schools and therefore there’s more opportunity to progress than in a secondary.

Teachers are paid the same regardless of degree. However, you obviously need a degree to become a teacher so you won’t have wasted three years of your life.
    Thanks for replying.

I hadn't even thought about it in this respect.

I forget that a person would have spent 3 years doing an education degree or similar - whereas I just get to do a degree I enjoy to some extent!

I guess there must be opportunities to take on extra courses in SEN within primary schools that accommodate this for extra responsibility etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie1997SR)
    Thanks for replying.

I hadn't even thought about it in this respect.

I forget that a person would have spent 3 years doing an education degree or similar - whereas I just get to do a degree I enjoy to some extent!

I guess there must be opportunities to take on extra courses in SEN within primary schools that accommodate this for extra responsibility etc.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rning-outcomes

From this webpage: 'In September 2009 it became law for every new SENCO in a mainstream school to gain the Master’s-level National Award for Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator within 3 years of taking up the post.'

You would stand out more on an application form with a different degree as well, more so than people with an undergraduate teacher training degree.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.