Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please help, Muslims will probably only understand Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    that if parents are abusive you can cut contact
    if youre gona make claims about what islam says then at least provide proof
    and plz dont say its common sense
    what does abusive mean? Does it mean light beating, a slap, full on beating, causing bruises, broken bones etc ?
    Islam does not support abuse, so logically would not object to someone whom I assume is over 18, as an adult, to cut contact with someone who is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by years101)
    "cook lovely meals for him" "provide him with sex" "raise his children" "provide support for him"
    You sound like his slave.
    Yes because no wife (Muslim or non-Muslim) does those things.

SMH

(Original post by Sabby888)
    Islam does not support abuse, so logically would not object to someone whom I assume is over 18, as an adult, to cut contact with someone who is
    i dont want the answer just "logically" i want proof from quran or a respected sheikh.
    I hope u understand we cant just claim things without looking into hadith and quran etc coz we might end up saying the wrong things
    technically being an adult at 18 is only a western ruling not islamic
    and also what about the hadith that says the one who breaks ties wont enter paradise ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabby888)
    Islam does not support abuse
    Well, it permits the beating of a disobedient wife (under certain conditions). That is "abuse" in anyone's language.
    It also permits slavery and the use of female captives for sex. I can't imagine any civilized person thinking that is not abuse.

So yes, Islam does support abuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Well, it permits the beating of a disobedient wife (under certain conditions). That is "abuse" in anyone's language.
    It also permits slavery and the use of female captives for sex. I can't imagine any civilized person thinking that is not abuse.

So yes, Islam does support abuse.
    What was the native africans treated like? In Islam we use no one for our own pleasure so you might would like to check that over.

In terms of beating ones wife you might like to check that too. Its called reprimanding 'mate' not technically beating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    Interesting.

Professor Al Fadl "is Professor of Law at the UCLA School of Law where he teaches Islamic law, Immigration, Human Rights, International and National Security Law. Dr. Abou El Fadl previously taught Islamic law at the University of Texas at Austin Law School, Yale Law School and Princeton University. He holds degrees from Yale University (B.A.), University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D.) and Princeton University (M.A./Ph.D.) ... he also received formal training in Islamic jurisprudence in Egypt and Kuwait".

While you may of course disagree with him, and criticise his views, dismissing them offhand, and simply calling them "misguiding and improper information" is ridiculous.

By the way, he is not at all in favour of interfaith marriages (especially Muslim wife/non-Muslim husband). He considers them makruh (reprehensible).

Best
    You may want to check over the meaning of makruh again.... thats of course if your still interested in Islam? And thats without googling either lets see eh?

Makruh does not mean reprehensible. Its much more simpler than that.

ReputationRep:
    Well yes, I would like to know why you lot are so intent on encouraging others to suffer throughout their whole lives, even when adhering to dogma is clearly making them deeply unhappy. It's quite concerning that your "wouldn't you like to know" comment implies it's some sort of secret?!

No, there is no evidence for Islam. Erm, it's clear that leaving her boyfriend isn't making the OP happy as she has clearly said in this thread.
    If you understood the verse this world is merley a test then it would be worth having a conversation with you.

However seeing as you think you know all about my religion please tell me what Sheikh google is saying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Spare me the pointless dogma, I will be held accountable by no one and nothing in the "afterlife".
    Not only did you commit associating partners with Allah you have shown yourself to superior then the one that has created you. Which doesnt make any sense. So the only 'pointless dogma' is coming from you.

Lets reach the afterlife 'matey' and then lets see who lived a life worth living.

Our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu Alayhi Waslaam) has said:
    This world is a prison for the believers and paradise for the non-believers
    [Sahih Muslim Book 042, Number 7058]

ReputationRep:
    So you're willing to give up your perfect man just because he doesn't believe the same fairytales you do? Is that seriously the reason you're going to give up on him, even though you're not close to your family?

A prime example of how toxic religion can be.
    You are a legend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiszShortee786)
    Not only did you commit associating partners with Allah you have shown yourself to superior then the one that has created you. Which doesnt make any sense. So the only 'pointless dogma' is coming from you.

Lets reach the afterlife 'matey' and then lets see who lived a life worth living.

Our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu Alayhi Waslaam) has said:
    This world is a prison for the believers and paradise for the non-believers
    [Sahih Muslim Book 042, Number 7058]
    Look, the one who isn't making any sense here is you. How can I be "associating partners" with Allah when I don't even believe in God?

I am not superior to the one who created me because it's impossible to be superior to something that doesn't exist (Allah).

If there is no afterlife, which is by far the most likely outcome, then neither of us will find out anything because consciousness itself will cease to be. Again, quoting verses from the Quran is utterly meaningless and circular. It no more proves Islam true than the Harry Potter books prove Hogwarts.

ReputationRep:
    the reason I can't marry him is because, in islam, if a muslim girl marries a non muslim guy, the marriage is not valid. I'd literally be sleeping in sin. Yes, I've been with him up until now, but I don't know if I can mentally handle that for the rest of my life. Especially as I'm now finding myself becoming more religious as time has gone on. Don't want to marry him and have kids to just suddenly have a mental breakdown and change my mind about it all one day.

This is why I stated that Msulims would understand a bit better.
    It's not valid according to some fairytale. Legally however, your marriage to this guy would be perfectly legal in terms of law. And considering you're in the UK, official laws always trump the religious ones.

ReputationRep:
    Look, the one who isn't making any sense here is you. How can I be "associating partners" with Allah when I don't even believe in God?

I am not superior to the one who created me because it's impossible to be superior to something that doesn't exist (Allah).

If there is no afterlife, which is by far the most likely outcome, then neither of us will find out anything because consciousness itself will cease to be. Again, quoting verses from the Quran is utterly meaningless and circular. It no more proves Islam true than the Harry Potter books prove Hogwarts.

Okay I dont make any sense fine(!) You dont have to be a Muslim to associate partners with Allah the thing is its concealed from you but known to us Muslims(You wont get this point so please dont bother).

Aha according to you Allah does not exist because Allah has sealed your eyes ears and hearts to the call of Islam. (Again you may not get this point).

Lastly I actually quoted the Hadith of our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu Alayhi Waslaam) not the Holy Quraan. So please get this fact right before commenting. By the ways we all known HP is fictional that has no relevance here.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    At least if a couple are married then they are devoted to each other. You say it's not filthy but would you rather date a modest girl who is a virgin or perhaps she only had 1 boyfriend before, or a rotten little skank who has opened her legs to every man down the pub...

Yeah, I didn't think so.
    That's not true, sure they may be married but it doesn't mean they are less likely to cheat. And Muslims aren't an exception to this. Islam teaches those not to judge but I think what you're doing here is judging what others do sexually which doesn't do any favours for you. And shame on you for judging those who sleep around, why does it matter if they aren't virgins? Are you saying if you got with a man who slept with many women and he suddenly turned his life around and became a better Muslim, you'd reject him because he slept around? Surely you'd overlook his previous and past experiences and actions and make a judgement for who he is, not what he's done?

ReputationRep:
    Marriage of muslimahs to non muslims? Or sleeping around like a skank? I'm not sure which you consider health development so if you could clarify.
    Because it's filthy, have some decency and self respect. Just my opinion seeing.

1) Who the hell do you think you are judging girls who sleep around before marriage? It's really not your problem or any of your business. It was totally unnecessary and it screams bitterness/insecurity.
    2) Hate to break it to you but it's not upto you to tell them if they lack self respect. They make their own minds up about that one. And if sex really was "filthy" and "indecent", Muslims wouldn't do it to have children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    Are you saying if you got with a man who slept with many women and he suddenly turned his life around and became a better Muslim, you'd reject him because he slept around? Surely you'd overlook his previous and past experiences and actions and make a judgement for who he is, not what he's done?
    It's down to personal opinion, something which apparently I'm not allowed to have around here.

Personally I would not marry a muslim who has slept around. I just wouldn't be able to do it.

One or two wives at the most. There will be a muslimah who will accept him but I'm not one of them, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    1) Who the hell do you think you are judging girls who sleep around before marriage? It's really not your problem or any of your business. It was totally unnecessary and it screams bitterness/insecurity.
    2) Hate to break it to you but it's not upto you to tell them if they lack self respect. They make their own minds up about that one. And if sex really was "filthy" and "indecent", Muslims wouldn't do it to have children.
    I simply stated my opinion that is was filthy, am I not allowed that view?

It's my opinion that sleeping around is filthy, committing to your husband or wife to make love and conceive a gift from Allah swt is not filthy, it is a blessing.

ReputationRep:
    I simply stated my opinion that is was filthy, am I not allowed that view?

It's my opinion that sleeping around is filthy, committing to your husband or wife to make love and conceive a gift from Allah swt is not filthy, it is a blessing.
    You believe in saving yourself for marriage? Fair enough, plenty of people do it. But the slut shaming is unnecessary and it just makes you look like a sad insecure person. It's none of your business whether girls have sex before marriage.

It's down to personal opinion, something which apparently I'm not allowed to have around here.

Personally I would not marry a muslim who has slept around. I just wouldn't be able to do it.

One or two wives at the most. There will be a muslimah who will accept him but I'm not one of them, sorry.
    Out of curiosity would you prefer to marry a Muslim whose been born and raised in the West or in the Middle East/in an Islamic country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Bird)
    OP does not need to waste time justifying anything. If you want to learn about islam read a book or use google
    She may need to spend time justifying her beliefs - not to us, but to herself. If you don't understand why you're doing something, then why are you doing it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiszShortee786)
    [/b]
    Okay I dont make any sense fine(!) You dont have to be a Muslim to associate partners with Allah the thing is its concealed from you but known to us Muslims(You wont get this point so please dont bother).
    Again, you're making no sense. How can I be associating partners with a god if I don't believe in a god?

Oh really? What exactly is magically known to Muslims and concealed from everyone else? The answer you give should be very interesting indeed...

Aha according to you Allah does not exist because Allah has sealed your eyes ears and hearts to the call of Islam. (Again you may not get this point).
    More circular reasoning. Quoting what Allah says in the Quran does not prove it's true, and also shows your imaginary deity to be psychotic and insane as he punishes unbelievers even though apparently it's him who makes them unable to see the "truth" of Islam.

Lastly I actually quoted the Hadith of our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu Alayhi Waslaam) not the Holy Quraan. So please get this fact right before commenting. By the ways we all known HP is fictional that has no relevance here.
    The logic is exactly the same. Quoting from a book doesn't make the book true, just as quoting a chapter of HP that say Hogwarts exists doesn't actually mean it does!

Well yes, both Harry Potter and Allah are fictional..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Out of curiosity would you prefer to marry a Muslim whose been born and raised in the West or in the Middle East/in an Islamic country?
    Western muslim 100%. The cultural differences would probably be too much. I'm half Egyptian though so maybe, possibly I would marry an Egyptian if he had good knowledge of western culture.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.