The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics: Core C1 6663 17th May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by icy_typhoon
hi! feeling really nervous about tmrw ngl...i bunked off school today bc i don't have a maths lesson (we got study leave for end of years but not AS exams) but my wifi is down so trying to do papers off my phone
i've done solomon papers up to G and they either go really well or not so well so I'm a bit worried. gonna redo the last 5 years worth of c1 papers today but not sure what else i CAN do tbh. anyone got any last-minute revision plans?

My teachers said the Solomon papers are not really edexcel way of writing Questions...try doing the past papers as in the gold /silver/bronze papers on PMT
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Shadowfire123
Hello , nice to meet another engineer for herts - sadly I have deactivated my Facebook -couple of months ago - plus I have not joined the group ...but will join when I have reactivated after the exams.
I have applied for Aerospace Eng but might transfer to Mech
the first year is the same modules for both engineering I hear

Nice to meet you too and oh right I see. I know the first year is a lot of maths so classes are shared with different branches of engineering. Whats diverting you to mech?
Good luck in your A2s!
Original post by j0shcarr
Nice to meet you too and oh right I see. I know the first year is a lot of maths so classes are shared with different branches of engineering. Whats diverting you to mech?
Good luck in your A2s!

I applied for Aerospace but I feel like Mech would be easier choice eventhought my PS was aero eng - but I dont mind either
any prediction?

Last minute revision?

Spoiler

Original post by Shadowfire123
I applied for Aerospace but I feel like Mech would be easier choice eventhought my PS was aero eng - but I dont mind either

I transferred from automotive to mech eng within a few weeks of receiving my offer and they were fine with it so if you wanted to I doubt there'd be a problem.
Original post by candol
is there a question you want to know how to do?

its just the paper overall
Any good techniques to avoid silly mistakes? Good luck tmrw!
Can someone answer me these two - one needs proper explaining, the other one is like a yes or no haha ASAP pls
1. The sum of the integers from 1 to n-1 is equal to the sum of the integers from n+1 to 49. Find n.

2. do we have to be able to square numbers to a certain dp because ive seen it in textbooks but obviously in many past papers it says surd form
June 2011 - had some tricky sequence questions I would definitely try them again :tongue:
I've gone though 5 papers now not bad for timing :colondollar:
I still make errors with understanding some questions but generally all good.
Original post by physicsamor
June 2011 - had some tricky sequence questions I would definitely try them again :tongue:
I've gone though 5 papers now not bad for timing :colondollar:
I still make errors with understanding some questions but generally all good.

yea imm also making a few silly mistakes - timing wouldnt be a problem but getting the question and not rushing it
Original post by wantodothebest
Can someone answer me these two - one needs proper explaining, the other one is like a yes or no haha ASAP pls
1. The sum of the integers from 1 to n-1 is equal to the sum of the integers from n+1 to 49. Find n.

2. do we have to be able to square numbers to a certain dp because ive seen it in textbooks but obviously in many past papers it says surd form

1. So apply the sum for the integers wherever applicable, equate, simplify, solve... So firstly, how can you express the sum of integers from 1 to n-1 using the formulas you know?? Similarly, how can you express the sum of integers from n+1 to 49? Equate the two and proceed. This type of question should be asked on the actual Maths forum, not the exam subforum, as you are more likely to receive a quick response there.

2. Leave them in surd form, nobody is going to spend time calculating root 3 to 4 decimal places and whatnot...
(edited 6 years ago)
I have this question
A sequence u1, u2, u3 is defined by Un=n^2-3n
a) find the value of n for whichUn= 40
I got 8
b)Evaluate 6( sigma notation)r=1 Ur
How do I do b?
do people think tomorrow will be difficult or easy?
I have this question
A sequence u1, u2, u3 is defined by Un=n^2-3n
a) find the value of n for whichUn= 40
I got 8
b)Evaluate 6( sigma notation)r=1 Ur
How do I do b?

Can you link the paper pls?
Original post by CF*cked
Can you link the paper pls?

Its from a revision guide, I think I just figured it out but I'll try and take a picture
Yeah I'm lost 2b anyone :colondollar: it's probably really simple but my brain don't know that
Yeah I'm lost 2b anyone :colondollar: it's probably really simple but my brain don't know that

you are doing U1 + U2 + U3 + U4 + U5 + U6 for 2B. so find out what U1, U2 , U3 etc is and then you add them together
Original post by ihatehannah
you are doing U1 + U2 + U3 + U4 + U5 + U6 for 2B. so find out what U1, U2 , U3 etc is and then you add them together

Yeah I realised that and then i just don't think I can add very well as I kept getting the answer wrong :colondollar: thank you!!!!
Reply 238

use n^2 - 3n and put n=6 into the equation
so 6^2 - 3x6 is 36 - 18 =18
Yeah I realised that and then i just don't think I can add very well as I kept getting the answer wrong :colondollar: thank you!!!!

Original post by candol
use n^2 - 3n and put n=6 into the equation
so 6^2 - 3x6 is 36 - 18 =18

Original post by ihatehannah

that is right!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending