Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Mathematics: Core C1 6663 17th May 2017 [Exam Discussion] Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the 2017 Edexcel C1 exam?
    Very Easy
    9.05%
    Easy
    13.36%
    Average
    30.12%
    Hard
    34.36%
    Very Hard
    13.11%

ReputationRep:
    anyone got qs they are stuck on ?
    say it here or the qs number and what year?
    happy to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student004)
    I did this mock paper and i got like 57
    anyone else wanna try it and tell me because i feel like its wayyy harder than usual. usually I get around 67-72.
    http://onmaths.com/mock_exams/edexce...17-prediction/
    I just did it too and just found that you don't get marks for workings so lowers your score if you make one mistake

ReputationRep:
    for the previous question the last term is given when you sub in 6, i.e. to get 18 Then must you use the Sn rule to get 6/2(a+L) = 3(-2+18) = 48 as your answer NOT 18?

ReputationRep:
    Did an online past paper.

Keeping getting this wrong:

1. You intergrate an f'(x) to get f(x). They give you a set of coordinates to get C.

2. They then give you the equation to the normal - i.e 6y + x = 0. Then they tell you to find the coordinate of T.

I have been trying to do it where I get the gradient of -1/6 of the normal and make it equal to the differentiated formula to try and solve for x. This didnt work.

I then tried to make the intergrated formula equal y which is -1/6x , rearrange, then differentiate and try to factorise. No luck.

Do I need to make -1/6 equal 6? Then what??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siobhanx13)
    I just did it too and just found that you don't get marks for workings so lowers your score if you make one mistake
    okay I'm acc less worried now

ReputationRep:
    surely the sum of question is not 18!

You sub in 6 to get the last term (18) and follow through with Sn= n/2 (a+L)

with a given as subbing in 1 into the expression

Anyone confirm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student004)
    okay I'm acc less worried now
    I simplified an answer and I got it wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wantodothebest)

1. You intergrate an f'(x) to get f(x). They give you a set of coordinates to get C.

2. They then give you the equation to the normal - i.e 6y + x = 0. Then they tell you to find the coordinate of T.

I have been trying to do it where I get the gradient of -1/6 of the normal and make it equal to the differentiated formula to try and solve for x. This didnt work.

I then tried to make the intergrated formula equal y which is -1/6x , rearrange, then differentiate and try to factorise. No luck.

I'm actually tearing up rn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimJongIan)
    surely the sum of question is not 18!

You sub in 6 to get the last term (18) and follow through with Sn= n/2 (a+L)

with a given as subbing in 1 into the expression

Anyone confirm?
    Let me clarify
    It is not an arithmetic sequence so cant use that formula.
    U1 = -2
    U2 = -2
    U3 = 0
    U4 = 4
    U5 = 10
    U6 = 18
    So sum is 28

ReputationRep:
    so it is not c1 but c2?

ReputationRep:

Send a link to the question and I'll help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boaconstricta)
    Send a link to the question and I'll help.

http://onmaths.com/mock_exams/edexce...17-prediction/
    there is usually variation in the questions but the same thing basically comes up every time, usually q9-11 (I think 10) so you can just skip through until you see an intergrating one with a part C about normals

ReputationRep:
    Guys how do u do asymptote questions 🙇🏾🙇🏾🙇🏾

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimJongIan)
    so it is not c1 but c2?
    It is C1 I'm afraid.
    On C1 there are 3 types of sequence questions
    Either arithmetic sequence
    OR Recurrence relations
    OR a question involving sigma which may also be one of the above topics (or in this case not)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TinoTeex)
    I can explain it but give me a question ....

for eg
    (5) (b) Write down the equations of the asymptotes of the curve C.
    you will write what x=....?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowfire123)
    (5) (b) Write down the equations of the asymptotes of the curve C.
    you will write what x=....?
    Does it always have to be "x=..."?

Then again, I don't know whether they would give you any horizontal ones to consider...

(Original post by TinoTeex)
    What about them? If you mean finding them, then simply look for values where the function doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Does it always have to be "x=..."?

Then again, I don't know whether they would give you any horizontal ones to consider...

What about them? If you mean finding them, then simply look for values where the function doesn't exist.
    I mean the curve didnt print of this page - it was y = x /2 graph from a gold paper - but it can be horizontal and vertical
    asymptote questions

ReputationRep:
    I really need help, I am panicking quite a bit. If a question asks me to find the x coordinate of the normal to a curve whose equation I just intergrated... what do I do???

I thought I made the differentiated equation equal to the gradient of the normal anf factorise?? See question 10 on the
    http://onmaths.com/mock_exams/edexce...17-prediction/)

ReputationRep:
    I really need help, I am panicking quite a bit. If a question asks me to find the x coordinate of the normal to a curve whose equation I just intergrated... what do I do???

I thought I made the differentiated equation equal to the gradient of the normal anf factorise?? See question 10 on the
    cant login to question

ReputationRep:

Yes, that is what you do. I also got the online question wrong doing that method. I then tried two identical questions from real past papers and got the right answer using the same method.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.