Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Mathematics: Core C1 6663 17th May 2017 [Exam Discussion] Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: How did you find the 2017 Edexcel C1 exam?
    Very Easy
    9.05%
    Easy
    13.36%
    Average
    30.12%
    Hard
    34.36%
    Very Hard
    13.11%

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 31
Size:  24.3 KB how tp work on last part?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    Yeah, I'm actually thinking I should go to bed now or is that too early?

You sitting A2 this exam period as well then?

Yeah, flopped last year and got 68 UMS, really need to get 90+ for Uni. This is meant to be my easiest exam, if I leave the hall feeling like it was tough then I have no chance in my other exams lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rtdsv)
    Mate your paper C is harder than C4.
    Not really... the last and penultimate question are a slight challenge, but the rest should be reasonable enough - and the grade boundaries take everything into account

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Doing it tomorrow.... who knows what's going to happen though... i know my stuff, but will there be errors

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 22.19.21.png
Views: 37
Size:  85.5 KB

What is the method for 8c?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rtdsv)
    Yeah, flopped last year and got 68 UMS, really need to get 90+ for Uni. This is meant to be my easiest exam, if I leave the hall feeling like it was tough then I have no chance in my other exams lmao.
    I know that feeling! I flopped too. That May 2016 C1 paper was just ridiculous at the time. Found it much easier when I practiced it the other day though. God knows what's in store for the May 2017 paper though! I just hope they're a little nicer this year! I just don't understand that C1 is meant to be the easiest paper but they just keep making it more difficult!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie1999)
    when dividing by a negative number
    Thankyou🙏🙏

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rtdsv)
    I didnt well last year and I am aiming to get 90UMS - ywea that is so true coz C2 C3 C4 are gonna be harder than C1
    plus C1 is the easiest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    I know that feeling! I flopped too. That May 2016 C1 paper was just ridiculous at the time. Found it much easier when I practiced it the other day though. God knows what's in store for the May 2017 paper though! I just hope they're a little nicer this year! I just don't understand that C1 is meant to be the easiest paper but they just keep making it more difficult!
    I did the same paper - the past is the past - lets do well tomorrow and be happy - yea it was a difficult paper

ReputationRep:
    keep making mistakes on arithmetic wordy questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathshelppp)
    keep making mistakes on arithmetic wordy questions
    same here mate! :eek::eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craftywizardboy)
    same here mate! :eek::eek:
    Just know ill flop
    Y is it so easy to make mistakes on c1, its supposed to be the easiest

Will have to rely on my other modules to get me a good grade
    Fml

ReputationRep:
    Just know ill flop
    Y is it so easy to make mistakes on c1, its supposed to be the easiest

Will have to rely on my other modules to get me a good grade
    Fml
    No you won't flop. Chin up, figure out what is going wrong and make sure you correct it or are just more careful tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crashMATHS)
    No you won't flop. Chin up, figure out what is going wrong and make sure you correct it or are just more careful tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks, going to do questions by topic for arithmetic sequences and for normals tangents

If its 2/rootx that is 2x^-1/2 right
    If its just 2rootx then its 2x^1/2

Finding the length always use distance formula sq root (x1-x2)^2 + (y1-y2)^2

When finding where two lines intersect: use simultaneous equations

Are these all right
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    thanks, going to do questions by topic for arithmetic sequences and for normals tangents

Are these all right
    Thanks
    Yes! Good luck

ReputationRep:

Are these all right
    Thanks
    Yes. These are GCSE topics with B-A grade descriptors, so should be quite basic for A-Levels. Best of luck for tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kheerthi)
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 22.19.21.png
Views: 37
Size:  85.5 KB

What is the method for 8c?
    You do

1200 + (n-1)-20 = 3(250 + (n-1)10)

Then solve for n to find out what year it was

ReputationRep:
    Just did last years papers and got 95 ums 😂 Why I didn't get that last year and only got 67 is a pisstake 😂😂😭

ReputationRep:

Are these all right
    Thanks
    Yes, that's right. For practice with laws of indices, you may want to try the question attached, it's quite a nice one to bring ideas together.

For the distance between two points (or length of a line segment they may call it in an exam), you use the distance formula. It is just Pythagoras' Theorem if you notice: plot the two points, draw the segment between them, make a right angled triangle, the base will be  x_1 - x_2 and the height will be  y_1 - y_2 . And so when we use Pythagoras, we get

Length^2 = (x_1-x_2)^2 + (y_1 - y_2)^2 \Rightarrow Length  = \sqrt{(x_1-x_2)^2 + (y_1 - y_2)^2} .

Again yes, but it's good to know why. Simultaneous equations tells us the values at which two lines/equations have exactly the same coordinates. If two lines have exactly the same coordinates, then they are most certainly going to intersect there.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    2^p = 2^5/2

part 2 is hard but I think:

2^5/2 * 2^10/3 divided by 2^5/6 will then equal 1^5 (I cancelled 2's so dammit If that was wrong)
    (Original post by crashMATHS)
    Yes, that's right. For practice with laws of indices, you may want to try the question attached, it's quite a nice one to bring ideas together.

For the distance between two points (or length of a line segment they may call it in an exam), you use the distance formula. It is just Pythagoras' Theorem if you notice: plot the two points, draw the segment between them, make a right angled triangle, the base will be  x_1 - x_2 and the height will be  y_1 - y_2 . And so when we use Pythagoras, we get

Length^2 = (x_1-x_2)^2 + (y_1 - y_2)^2 \Rightarrow Length  = \sqrt{(x_1-x_2)^2 + (y_1 - y_2)^2} .

Again yes, but it's good to know why. Simultaneous equations tells us the values at which two lines/equations have exactly the same coordinates. If two lines have exactly the same coordinates, then they are most certainly going to intersect there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.