Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Mathematics: Core C1 6663 17th May 2017 [Exam Discussion] Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the 2017 Edexcel C1 exam?
    Very Easy
    9.05%
    Easy
    13.36%
    Average
    30.12%
    Hard
    34.36%
    Very Hard
    13.11%

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Alxy boi;71504942]Last question was probably the hardest
    12t^2-59t+72<0
    I know how to do it now but didn't do it in the exam
    😐
    I thought that was a bit stupid[/QUOTE

You didnt do it right, the numbers were divisible by 4 and you would get 3x^2... and can factorise it easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chanic)
    Anyone has the paper? i took c1 last year but want to see this year's paper
    Also that discriminant question that you had, we had a similar one worth 1 mark less and the next bit was to find set of valies from it as it was inequality but you couldnt factorise it you had to complete the square. I personally found 2016 easier but you might think otherwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScrewTheExams)
    In my opinion this year was harder. June 2016 paper at least had some normal questions up until 7 or 8. This one didn't. Literally every question had big numbers fractions and some had surds and question 2 was already challenging, it looked easy but once you did it you realised that its not so
    Same. It was a bit unusual compared to every past paper but 2016. 2016 and 2017 paper involves a lot of mental maths.

ReputationRep:
    Kind of shorting myself that was the easiest paper they have ever produced without a shadow of a doubt.

So the grade boundaries are going to be really strict I'm thinking 66/67 for an A grade I knew the whole paper ran out of time but finished everything but the last question which I think hopefully I et marks for working.

In theory then I might have 72 out of 75 but I likely made lots of mistakes and am probably around 62-65 so I think I will get a B or A C which is terrible.

Do others really think that was a hard paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tripplea)
    I did
    Omg yes I did, woohoo

ReputationRep:
    Hh
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    Kind of shorting myself that was the easiest paper they have ever produced without a shadow of a doubt.

So the grade boundaries are going to be really strict I'm thinking 66/67 for an A grade I knew the whole paper ran out of time but finished everything but the last question which I think hopefully I et marks for working.

In theory then I might have 72 out of 75 but I likely made lots of mistakes and am probably around 62-65 so I think I will get a B or A C which is terrible.

This paper was disgusting for everyone apart from (maybe):
    - people doing resit
    - private school students
    - people that done a lot of revision for maths
    People in those categories only account for a few per cent of all of the students that done the maths exam, so I'm pretty sure grade boundaries will be similar to last year. If you got 63 then that's probably an A.

I found the paper disgusting even though I might get an A as I knew every question but the amount of big numbers, fractions and surds in each question was so unlike the old past papers and made it easier to make mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fx85GTplus)
    /www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app]Posted from TSR Mobile[/URL][/SIZE]
    I'm so pissed off at question 3. I rushed it in the end and got 3x = 8.5 and x= 8.5/3 but terribly simplified it to 19/3 jesus christ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luciferhf)
    that guv
    Yes brotha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScrewTheExams)
    This paper was disgusting for everyone apart from (maybe):
    - people doing resit
    - private school students
    - people that done a lot of revision for maths
    People in those categories only account for a few per cent of all of the students that done the maths exam, so I'm pretty sure grade boundaries will be similar to last year. If you got 63 then that's probably an A.

I found the paper disgusting even though I might get an A as I knew every question but the amount of big numbers, fractions and surds in each question was so unlike the old past papers and made it easier to make mistakes.
    I am self taught completely not private school no resit. I am doing all of maths and further Maths in one sitting to hope to go to uni this year.

It is possible using C1 stuff for more advanced stuff in C3 C4 FP1 and FP2 might give me a boost but I found other practice papers much harder.

Im not trying to be a **** I think I might have made mistakes and be in the low to mid 60s possibly even high 50s. My unis have all asked for AA except york who asked for AB.

In theory York might forgive BB but statistically they only forgive 2% of students like that. I suppose due to the fact I am self taught and this is in one year and I have an anxiety disorder + autism York might forgive BB I am putting this at between 10%-25% chance.

ReputationRep:
    I am self taught completely not private school no resit. I am doing all of maths and further Maths in one sitting to hope to go to uni this year.

It is possible using C1 stuff for more advanced stuff in C3 C4 FP1 and FP2 might give me a boost but I found other practice papers much harder.

Im not trying to be a **** I think I might have made mistakes and be in the low to mid 60s possibly even high 50s. My unis have all asked for AA except york who asked for AB.

In theory York might forgive BB but statistically they only forgive 2% of students like that. I suppose due to the fact I am self taught and this is in one year and I have an anxiety disorder + autism York might forgive BB I am putting this at between 10%-25% chance.
    Well since you are self taught and do further maths I assume you have a much better grasp at C1 than many other people. In my opinion this was the hardest paper edexcel made, not in terms of not knowing what to do, but because of the number of fractions, big numbers and surds, which made it so easy to make a mistake. And if you are saying you might get a mark of around 60 then you cannot say this was the easiest paper. Take a look at one of the old ones like June 2005 - that is an extremely easy paper.

ReputationRep:

If this was the easiest paper then why not get 75 out of 75? I'm sure June 2005 was easier than this paper today

ReputationRep:

Anyhow, good luck to you and hopefully you will get the grades you want and get into a good uni.

ReputationRep:
    I resat C1 today and I found it easier than last year, hopefully I will get an A so the C4 I can get C/D and still get a B overall (I need BBB to get to University of Southampton)

I put it down to doing more the A2 modules (C4 is such a pain) so the AS modules, esp. C1, are like the building blocks of the A level

However, I did find that the amount of mental maths that was required was ridiculous, for example I had to write down 16 x 16 because I couldn't do that one in my head

At least the rest of exams I will have a calculator (but I may put the numbers in wrong).

Good luck everyone for C2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayforreal18)
    If this was the easiest paper then why not get 75 out of 75? I'm sure June 2005 was easier than this paper today
    BecUse I ran out of time for the final question think I should get two marks for working though but the sad face I drew next to out of time might not warm examiners hearts. Really should not have done that.

Disclaimer I guess I have not looked at any past papers before 2010 for any modules because many people tell me that these are easier and the cylabus changed a bit so seemednout dated.

It is possible 2005 was easier I can't possibly comment, as I did not see the 2005 paper I thought we only counted 2010 onwards but ok easiest paper since 2010 then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomanat)
    I resat C1 today and I found it easier than last year, hopefully I will get an A so the C4 I can get C/D and still get a B overall (I need BBB to get to University of Southampton)

I put it down to doing more the A2 modules (C4 is such a pain) so the AS modules, esp. C1, are like the building blocks of the A level

However, I did find that the amount of mental maths that was required was ridiculous, for example I had to write down 16 x 16 because I couldn't do that one in my head

At least the rest of exams I will have a calculator (but I may put the numbers in wrong).

Good luck everyone for C2
    Looking at the 2016 C1 paper, it was much easier compared to this one in my opinion. Of course you will find it easier if you are resiting it and doing A2 maths alongside. The amount of fractions, surds and big numbers in the paper made it really easy to mess up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabada)
    Was c=-88
    I gkt that and jept checking it cus it seemed a bit weird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabada)
    Was c=-88
    I got that and kept checking it cus it seemed a bit weird

ReputationRep:

I'm completely self-taught too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.