The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics: Core C1 6663 17th May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
any predictions?
If your school has a code, this is a fab website: http://www.mathsnetalevel.com/

Also, Maths Genie has some topic questions:
http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/alevel.html

Here are some particularly hard C1 papers. It's unlikely to be this hard in the exam but they're a nice challenge :smile:
http://www.madasmaths.com/archive_iygb_practice_papers_c1_practice_papers.html
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 102
Could someone clear up for me when doing sequences questions when to use the a + (n-1)d or 1/2[2a+(n-1)d]

What key words do I need to look for so I know which one to use because I'm never completely sure.

Thanks
Original post by Sam_99
Could someone clear up for me when doing sequences questions when to use the a + (n-1)d or 1/2[2a+(n-1)d]

What key words do I need to look for so I know which one to use because I'm never completely sure.

Thanks

The first one is the nth term of an arithmetic sequence and the second one is the sum of the first n terms of an arithmetic sequence.
Reply 104
Original post by notnek
The first one is the nth term of an arithmetic sequence and the second one is the sum of the first n terms of an arithmetic sequence.

Thanks but in exam questions what are the sort of trigger words to know which to use ? :biggrin:
Original post by Sam_99
Thanks but in exam questions what are the sort of trigger words to know which to use ? :biggrin:

For Un = a + (n-1)d, the question will be... "Find the 8th Term of the Sequence) for example. Of which you would plug in "8" as n.

For Sn = n/2(2a + (n-1)d), the question will be... "Find the Sum of the First 25 Terms" Of which you would have to plug in "25" as n.

Previously to these you may have to find "a" and "d"
Reply 106
If you want an insight on the kind of questions that may come up in the C1/C2 paper, I recommend looking at the C12 Jan 2017 IAL paper. I found that some of the questions in the june 2016 paper were quite similar to the C12 IAL 2016 january paper. Safe.
Original post by LoDMR
If you want an insight on the kind of questions that may come up in the C1/C2 paper, I recommend looking at the C12 Jan 2017 IAL paper. I found that some of the questions in the june 2016 paper were quite similar to the C12 IAL 2016 january paper. Safe.

Where can I get access to the c12 jan 2017 IAL paper?
Reply 108
Original post by benfletcher99
Where can I get access to the c12 jan 2017 IAL paper?

Could try searching it up or look on exam solutions under the C12 section
WMA01_01_que_20170110.pdfHere's the c12 Jan 2017 paper
Original post by jayforreal18
WMA01_01_que_20170110.pdfHere's the c12 Jan 2017 paper

Thank you!! By any chance do you have the mark scheme too?
Original post by benfletcher99
Thank you!! By any chance do you have the mark scheme too?

Don't have the official mark scheme but here's a link to model answers

https://goo.gl/iOjA9l
Screenshot_20170513-192039.png Hey everyone... Now I'm completely lost by this trig question, why is it you only get the answer when you convert it into Cos?? At first I tried with tan and sin and I got viable answers, but you only get the answer of you do it as a cos function. Can anyone please explain to me why this is the case and why I can't change it to tan or sin??
Original post by F1 USM
Screenshot_20170513-192039.png Hey everyone... Now I'm completely lost by this trig question, why is it you only get the answer when you convert it into Cos?? At first I tried with tan and sin and I got viable answers, but you only get the answer of you do it as a cos function. Can anyone please explain to me why this is the case and why I can't change it to tan or sin??

it works with sin.

3cos^2x + 1 = 4sin^2x

3(1-sin^2x) + 1 = 4sin^2x

3 - 3sin^2x + 1 = 4sin^2x

7sin^2x = 4

sin^2x = 4/7

sin x = +- root 4/7

plug sin^-1 (root 4/7) and you get one of the 4 solutions.
Original post by jayforreal18
Don't have the official mark scheme but here's a link to model answers

https://goo.gl/iOjA9l

that was actually a really good paper. I'd be happy if the C1 and C2 papers are actually like that!
Help!

Question - [C1]

Find the equation of the normal to:

y=6x524x32y = 6x^{\frac{5}{2}} - 4x^{\frac{3}{2}} when x=2x = 2 in the form ax+by+c=0ax + by + c = 0

Hint -
Solution -
Original post by HKHASSAN
Help!

Question - [C1]

Find the equation of the normal to:

y=6x524x32y = 6x^{\frac{5}{2}} - 4x^{\frac{3}{2}} when x=2x = 2 in the form ax+by+c=0ax + by + c = 0

Hint -
Solution -

First of all sub in x=2 to get y. Differentiate and put x=2 in to find the gradient. As it's the normal it's going to be the negative reciprocal. Then use your coordinate (1,y) and the gradient to find the equation of line
I was wondering if we need to know logarithms for C1? I know we need them for C2.

Original post by Sam_99

Thanks

You should be using a+(n-1)d when you are working out a term, for example when the question asks you to find the 4th term.

1/2[2a+(n-1)d] should be used when you are working out the sum of terms, for example when you are asked to find the sum of the 21st terms.

In the formula booklet a+(n-1)d is written as un = a + (n 1)d so you know it has to be used to find the term, and 1/2[2a+(n-1)d] is written as Sn =1/2[2a+(n-1)d], so you know it has to be used to find the sum of a certain amount of terms.

If it says S3, find the sum of the first 3 terms.

If it says U6, find the sixth term.
Original post by myathiemetjon
I was wondering if we need to know logarithms for C1? I know we need them for C2.

No you won't see a question on logs! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending