Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can/should I refer myself to a mental hospital? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been dealing with depression now for a while, and I'm worried I might do something. I'm currently not in college till next year fortes sons affected by my mental health and I don't know how to help myself out of college. It's lonely and I've lost touch of reality I'm sitting at home days on end staring blankly into space and I've lost a lot of who i am, i have no friends or community in my family and I can't take it anymore. I'm getting therapy eventually but the waiting list is so long idk how I can help myself recover other than a place where I'm surrounded by people and help for a while to help my life get back on track. I've tried volunteering and things to do but my anxiety and depression gets to me and it's just so hard to be human, I've lost most of my social skills. Do you think this is a good idea? Or alternatives? And can I get into one easily and how?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Jeesus)
    I've been dealing with depression now for a while, and I'm worried I might do something. I'm currently not in college till next year fortes sons affected by my mental health and I don't know how to help myself out of college. It's lonely and I've lost touch of reality I'm sitting at home days on end staring blankly into space and I've lost a lot of who i am, i have no friends or community in my family and I can't take it anymore. I'm getting therapy eventually but the waiting list is so long idk how I can help myself recover other than a place where I'm surrounded by people and help for a while to help my life get back on track. I've tried volunteering and things to do but my anxiety and depression gets to me and it's just so hard to be human, I've lost most of my social skills. Do you think this is a good idea? Or alternatives? And can I get into one easily and how?
    You could probably get into one privately if you had to, there's other things worth trying first though. Hospital is generally used as a last resort and only if you're at a serious/immediate risk to yourself or others, obviously I don't know if you are but it sounds like you're really struggling either way. I'd suggest going to see your GP or out of hours or in an emergency A&E and they should be able to get you some appropriate support, of whatever kind. This may not be hospital but you shouldn't be left with nothing either way- print out this post and show them if you need to. Hope things improve for you soon whatever you decide, these kind of thoughts are horrible and not to be taken lightly. Hopefully someone helps you very soon.

ReputationRep:
    Play Dark Souls, the pain will help you grow

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling...
    I am someone who has been involved with mental health services for about 3 years, and have spent around the last 14/15 months as an inpatient in a secure mental health hospital. An admission to any mental health hospital is considered as a very last resort, and are there for those who are in immediate crisis. The best thing to do would be go to your GP, or walk-in centre etc, (or if there is ever an emergency then A&E, 999, Samaritans) and they will be able to refer you to a community mental health service who can give you treatment.
    A lot of mental health inpatient units will not solve every issue you have, which is something I've learnt in my experience. It is really somewhere you want to avoid, it is the best way if you are able to get through these things safely at home, without having to be shut off from the world in hospital.
    I know that the idea of hospital can seem like a good idea to get you better, but there are just as much negatives as there are positives to mental health hospitals, and they don't admit everyone, mainly because there is a huge bed shortage. I've seen people at an extremely severe risk to themselves and very poor mental health, and it was even a struggle for them to be admitted.
    Please try to veer away from the idea of hospital, it is really not a nice place to be in, it can be very scary and even more depressing than it was at home.
    Maybe try the volunteering again whilst getting yourself referred, try other places to volunteer at, or get yourself a work experience placement doing something you like since you're not in college yet.
    I hope you start to feel better soon, and remember it's not always a straight upwards line. If it's not working out at the moment, that doesn't mean it will never work again, just keep going and trying everything to keep your spirits up.

Inpatient psychiatric units are for those who's illnesses can't be managed in the community, when people are a serious risk to themselves or others.
    I'm really sorry that you're struggling so much, but hospital is a last resort and I think you will be unlikely to find any psychiatric hospital who would admit you currently given the symptoms you've described.
    I would suggest going to you GP to explain the deterioration of your symptoms and if you feel like you can't keep yourself safe in the short term, then go to A&E.

ReputationRep:
    Not in the UK unless you're willing to go private.

Tbh though, I'm not sure a psych. hospital is the best fit for you. They are often full of very sick, sometimes scary, people. And if you think your days will be full of therapy and other activities, you'll be disappointed. You said you stare at the wall a lot at home, well, staring at walls is basically the number one activity in hospital.

If you're really struggling, then go see your GP or psychiatrist. You could ask to try medication perhaps? Another thing to look into is if there's a IAPT service near you as they often have shorter waitlists and can sometimes allow you to refer yourself.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.