Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should we have required physical and health examinations in school? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about this earlier, we have PE lessons but everyone is a little snowflake and seems afraid of any feedback. It would be a good idea to send all new students to a brief medical and physical exam to identify any serious problems with fitness, obesity, health issues, etc, and then maybe have regular feedback once per month, this would create a society of more healthy people, and healthy people achieve more in school.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't that just lead to bullying if people know others are obese or have other medical issues etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Wouldn't that just lead to bullying if people know others are obese or have other medical issues etc?
    Possibly, I don't see any reason to disclose these issues publicly, I think we could have a health advisor who sees all students one to one to check progress. It's not as though it can be hidden in PE to begin with, if they are obese this will show in PE already, at least they will now get help with it at school if they wish.

We could change the way people look at it as well, something to progress towards instead of silent and shaming. So it will prevent bullying.

ReputationRep:
    You could theoretically put rules in place where you're not allowed to discuss it and keep it private and all that like a "proper" medical exam. In practice schoolkid peer pressure is a hell of a beast so dunno if it'd end up functioning like that.

ReputationRep:
    I think if someone was obese then everyone would already be able to see it.

However I don't see why medical confidentiality would be waived for such an exam, especially when it would need to be carried out by a medical professional.

I think it is actually a very good idea, it could allow people to become healthier if they are aware of their current health situation.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah only issue is that it's mostly down to diet and your average school kid isn't in charge of their diet. Send a letter home saying the kid is unhealthy and the parents will be on the front page of the Daily Mail with a "My child is being fat-shamed by their school" story.

We should definitely have medical examinations but I'm not sure how helpful they'll be for the majority in the end.

ReputationRep:
    I have a health problem which meant I could never do PE much from Yr5-11 (didn't have PE in Sixth Form).

It was humiliating being the one person each week not doing PE and all the questions fellow students asked me about why I didn't exercise. (It gives me pain dumbass - can you not see the crutches?)

So from my perspective, I'd feel awful if this was a tested subject with health checks. It would ridicule me due to my disability and I'd feel like I was open to bullying. I'd also fail the 'exams' or 'tests' based on my inability to do any sports for the above reason.

PE was horrid for me but this sounds like hell for those with health problems like me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwaggy)
    I have a health problem which meant I could never do PE much from Yr5-11 (didn't have PE in Sixth Form).

So from my perspective, I'd feel awful if this was a tested subject with health checks. It would ridicule me due to my disability and I'd feel like I was open to bullying. I'd also fail the 'exams' or 'tests' based on my inability to do any sports for the above reason.

PE was horrid for me but this sounds like hell for those with health problems like me.
    I think you missed the point entirely, a medical exam is not something one can pass or fail, it examines the state of your health and normally gives you feedback on how to improve certain aspects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willy Pete)
    I think you missed the point entirely, a medical exam is not something one can pass or fail, it examines the state of your health and normally gives you feedback on how to improve certain aspects.
    No I didn't.

I'd fail any examination on physical prowess. One cannot be marked or assessed on an activity they cannot partake in. I know this from fact as I 'failed' the bleep test one had to do in school due to not being able to run it.

Also, one is quite able to 'fail' medicals, i.e for the army, DSAs, benefits, IP examinations, etc.

Furthermore, based on your idea of being given 'feedback on how to improve certain aspects'; I do not need a monthly reminder of 'hey, you're sick!' and one cannot give feedback on those with disabilities like mine. To continue, school is stressful enough as it is. One does not need to be told they are unfit whilst dealing with puberty, exams and possible mental health issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dat Tall Guy)
    Possibly, I don't see any reason to disclose these issues publicly, I think we could have a health advisor who sees all students one to one to check progress. It's not as though it can be hidden in PE to begin with, if they are obese this will show in PE already, at least they will now get help with it at school if they wish.

We could change the way people look at it as well, something to progress towards instead of silent and shaming. So it will prevent bullying.
    But schoolchildren are schoolchildren therefore there will always be bullying. This isn't achievable as preventable.

Also, how will schools/governments afford this new role of 'health adviser' for schools? It's not like the NHS can help out at the moment - they're stretched to their limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwaggy)
    No I didn't.

I'd fail any examination on physical prowess. One cannot be marked or assessed on an activity they cannot partake in. I know this from fact as I 'failed' the bleep test one had to do in school due to not being able to run it.

Also, one is quite able to 'fail' medicals, i.e for the army, DSAs, benefits, IP examinations, etc.

Furthermore, based on your idea of being given 'feedback on how to improve certain aspects'; I do not need a monthly reminder of 'hey, you're sick!' and one cannot give feedback on those with disabilities like mine. To continue, school is stressful enough as it is. One does not need to be told they are unfit whilst dealing with puberty, exams and possible mental health issues.
    A medical exam is not a marked test like the bleep test, it is there to provide useful insight into your health and well-being. Also this is not a medical test with failure criteria (other than death), we are talking about a medical exam at schools, not the army, etc... don't be difficult.

Well if someone can't give feedback on some chronic illnesses or disabilities then they won't because there would be no point. The point is to help people to get the help they need in order to be as fit and healthy as they could realistically be.

I think monthly is indeed excessive, biannually or annually would be more realistic.

You mentioned mental illness, do you not think it would be a good idea to have these health checks to also cover mental health so those who are suffering can get the help they need early on instead of the problems escalating?

ReputationRep:
    While I don't necessarily think it is a bad idea, realistically, the resources wouldn't be there to do anything but the most basic checks so I think it would be pointless. It would just end up being a monthly weigh in. Its school, not weight watchers.

There is not enough time for every pupil to be given meaningful feedback. At best, it would be "you're overweight. Eat less food, do more exercise. Next." It's a more complex issue than that. The child will already know they are fat and that they should eat better but they still ended up fat. At worse, it could mislead children about their health. You would have under-qualified and overworked staff misdiagnosing and failing to explain to the children their results properly.

Don't they already do this at junior schools? As has been said, I'm sure parents have got letters saying their child is overweight.

May be once a year would be more realistic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.