Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

As the title says, I eat breakfast, a ready meal lunch, and a full dinner at dinner time, however I can never put on weight! I way 8 stone and I'm currently 17. I have tried eating cereal bars and all sorts but nothing, I am quite scrawny, but I burn it off quote quickly and am a little muscly (Not massive of course, but I do have more muscle than fat I think)

I need dietary tips basically. Any help?

ReputationRep:
    Kebab

ReputationRep:
    Drink calories. Milkshakes, fizzy drinks, etc.

Put fat - oil and butter - on your food. As much as you can.

Make sure you actually DO eat. Plenty of scrawny guys overestimate how much they eat. Use MFP to track your kcal.

Eat 5-6 times a day if you can't eat too much in a meal.

ReputationRep:
    You obviously need to eat more, but I don't recommend you fill your face with a load of crap as has been suggested - butter and fizzy drinks are not going to do you any favours and are just going to start making you feel like crap. Drinking calories in the form of sugars is going to affect your blood sugars and excessive fat intake will increase your LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. Essentially, it will store up trouble for the future.

Nuts and seeds are high in energy and nutrient dense - also try increasing your portion sizes. Have full-fat versions of things where possible (i.e. full fat milk rather than semi) and eat regularly. Finally, don't be in a great hurry to put on weight - it's bound to come. It does to us all!

ReputationRep:
    Please spit in my face so I can have what you have.

ReputationRep:
    Bigger portions of your regular food. Don't go stuffing your face with total crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KieranBaily)
    Hello all,

As the title says, I eat breakfast, a ready meal lunch, and a full dinner at dinner time, however I can never put on weight! I way 8 stone and I'm currently 17. I have tried eating cereal bars and all sorts but nothing, I am quite scrawny, but I burn it off quote quickly and am a little muscly (Not massive of course, but I do have more muscle than fat I think)

I need dietary tips basically. Any help?
    it depends in what way you want to get bigger?
    muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're just looking for numbers, i would say protein (meat, fish, eggs, beans). similarly, if you want to get bigger, muscle-wise, same diet.
    but if you just want to be heavier or if you think you're too skinny and you're not bothered about muscle, i would suggest carbs, bc they're healthier than pouring a crap ton of oil on everything, eating lots of junk food or having massive portions. however, i would also say that at 17, 8 stone isn't massively underweight. not to mention that as a guy, your body will still be developing in 3 years time, and you might well fill out during that time.

either way, eat healthy xx

ReputationRep:
    You can put on weight.

You need to eat more calories than your body burns per day. Google TDEE calculator and eat more than your TDEE, it's really very simple. I agree with Reality Check to not just eat crap to gain weight. There are plenty of high calorie nutrient dense sources.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.