Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I live a fair distance away down in Norfolk and I'm interested to hear how people are getting up to Edinburgh? I think I'll have quite a lot of weight to carry up there so I'm probably going to go by train. Plane would be better but not with the amount I'll carry, let alone customs! (I suspect I won't carry too much since I'll only have to figure out a way to take it back...I need to get that TFT flatscreen soon )

ReputationRep:
    I myself live in Essex and when I went to the visit day I used teh GNER trains, which took me like 5 hrs, but even this is a bit awkward if u're moving to uni with the loads of stuff. I'd recommend that you ask ur parents/friends/relatives to give u a ride up there, cos u'd be amazed how much stuff u'll need to get with ya.

ReputationRep:
    I know , am a bit worried about how much I'll have to take. Will try and see if I can get someone to drive all the way up there but isn't a short drive, hmm. Since hopefully for the first year I'll end up in full catered (Pollock Halls) I might be able to get away with not taking too much up or working out an alternative. But could get difficult after that, thanks for the advice m8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeWired)
    I live a fair distance away down in Norfolk and I'm interested to hear how people are getting up to Edinburgh? I think I'll have quite a lot of weight to carry up there so I'm probably going to go by train. Plane would be better but not with the amount I'll carry, let alone customs! (I suspect I won't carry too much since I'll only have to figure out a way to take it back...I need to get that TFT flatscreen soon )
    I'm coming up from Surrey. My parents are driving me and a car full of stuff up on the Saturday, staying somewhere overnight and driving themselves home on the Sunday - it's the only way we could see of moving a lot of stuff that far. On the open day I got a flight there and back for £30 (cheaper than the train) or so with Easyjet, since we live near Gatwick, and it's an option for when I don't need to carry huge amounts of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaman)
    I'm coming up from Surrey. My parents are driving me and a car full of stuff up on the Saturday, staying somewhere overnight and driving themselves home on the Sunday - it's the only way we could see of moving a lot of stuff that far. On the open day I got a flight there and back for £30 (cheaper than the train) or so with Easyjet, since we live near Gatwick, and it's an option for when I don't need to carry huge amounts of stuff.
    yeah my school paid 100 quid for my train ticket!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiril)
    yeah my school paid 100 quid for my train ticket!
    As if your school actually shelled out for you! Grr...!

£30 return flight by EasyJet? That's good, I spent nearer £70 for the same but I booked a bit too early possibly (went via Stansted). Will need to see about nagging relatives/friends of relatives/whoever else to get me up there! Probs is I'll be doing so repeatedly over the year...

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Bedfordshire and I'm flying up to Edinburgh from London Luton. The extra weight charges arn't that much, something like £1 per 4kg over you go. It's a lot cheaper than the train, at least from where I am. Plus it's quicker

Edit: Flying with EasyJet of course.

ReputationRep:
    I have flights from Gdansk {poland} via Warsaw and London Heathrow, so I will probably post some of the heavier items [mainly books] via mail a few days before.

I am now looking for a cheap journey home for Christmas and just imagine that for most of the flights there are almost no seats left :mad: all I could work uot is Edinburgh-Glasgow-London-Berlin-Warsaw-Gdansk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    I'm in Bedfordshire and I'm flying up to Edinburgh from London Luton. The extra weight charges arn't that much, something like £1 per 4kg over you go. It's a lot cheaper than the train, at least from where I am. Plus it's quicker

Edit: Flying with EasyJet of course.
    You wouldn't know how much weight they'll allow? (Will check EasyJet site actually) Getting someone to drive there is sounding more sensible already, especially when you need to get to your residence etc. Hmm

Edit: (In case you're interested in EasyJet's baggage policy on weight etc)

EasyJet Baggage Info

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't know how much weight they'll allow? (Will check EasyJet site actually) Getting someone to drive there is sounding more sensible already, especially when you need to get to your residence etc. Hmm

EasyJet Baggage Info
    Yeah, from the open day, I remember that the airport bus would just drop your at the end of the bridge with the Waverly train station. I really wouldn't want to cart a lot of stuff across to Pollock from there.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I walking from Waverley was a fair hike when I went (King's Building's wasn't so close...!). Probably a taxi job if you end up going by plane or train. Though it looks like that's the way it's gonna be for me, need to practice packing already maybe...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomek)
    I have flights from Gdansk {poland} via Warsaw and London Heathrow, so I will probably post some of the heavier items [mainly books] via mail a few days before.

I am now looking for a cheap journey home for Christmas and just imagine that for most of the flights there are almost no seats left :mad: all I could work uot is Edinburgh-Glasgow-London-Berlin-Warsaw-Gdansk
    That's tough, I went to Estonia recently so I know that flights to Eastern Europe are hardly cheap, or often, yet. Compared to going to the traditional EU15 anyway.

Perhaps the train will be better?

EasyJet Baggage Info
    Yeah, I doubt many people will really need to bring more than 32kg with them.

Aye, I walking from Waverley was a fair hike when I went (King's Building's wasn't so close...!). Probably a taxi job if you end up going by plane or train. Though it looks like that's the way it's gonna be for me, need to practice packing already maybe...
    A taxi won't cost more than a few quid from Waverley surely?

I'm lucky because we're flying up the day before and staying with family, then we'll just be able to drive there in the morning no problem.

ReputationRep:
    I'm travelling up from Bournemouth and am planning to drive up with stuff on Thursday 9th/Friday 10th, to arrive around midday on Saturday 11th - moving-in day.

ReputationRep:
    Customs???? Don't forget your passport!

2 bits of advice:
    1) If you haven't already bought that Flatscreen/TV/ Stuffed Moose then arrange for it to be delivered straight to your accommodation. Let Currys take the strain.

2) If you can drive but don't want a car at uni then why not do a one way hire. The national firms are usually the best option but some of them have min 21 age policy (elder brother???).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DenverDiva)
    Customs???? Don't forget your passport!

2 bits of advice:
    1) If you haven't already bought that Flatscreen/TV/ Stuffed Moose then arrange for it to be delivered straight to your accommodation. Let Currys take the strain.

2) If you can drive but don't want a car at uni then why not do a one way hire. The national firms are usually the best option but some of them have min 21 age policy (elder brother???).
    Thanks for the advice, I haven't passed my driving yet unfortunately (I won't mention my tale of woe over that though!)! I haven't ordered the flatscreen yet but getting it delivered up there might be an idea, to be honest I don't mind bringing it up there if I'm going by train, I'll figure out a way :rolleyes:

I do have a stuff moosed...not a real moose...that reminds me, I must bring it, crazy that I am :cool:

ReputationRep:
    im driving up from oxford via liverpool to stay with family! my parents dont wanna come its a really odd feeling... is saturday 11th the day people are moving in where have people applied for accomidation? ive never actually visited the university or halls! are they nice???
    ruthie
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthie)
    im driving up from oxford via liverpool to stay with family! my parents dont wanna come its a really odd feeling... is saturday 11th the day people are moving in where have people applied for accomidation? ive never actually visited the university or halls! are they nice???
    ruthie
    xxx
    I'm taking a train up on Monday 13th though I hear a lot of people will be up there on the Saturday

The halls are good, when I went I only really saw Pollock Halls, but they're really good so I wouldn't worry about that. You're going to Edinburgh having never seen it?! Oh dear :confused:!

ReputationRep:
    i have been to the city but i couldnt get to an open day to go look around the uni. i put edinburgh down as second choie although offer was same as from first choice... so i kinda assumed if i didnt get first i wouldnt get edinburgh either. but since results the more i think about it the more i think im better off at edinburgh as its a city and there will be more to do ect. and i will be moving out of my house in exactly two week im so excited!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthie)
    i have been to the city but i couldnt get to an open day to go look around the uni. i put edinburgh down as second choie although offer was same as from first choice... so i kinda assumed if i didnt get first i wouldnt get edinburgh either. but since results the more i think about it the more i think im better off at edinburgh as its a city and there will be more to do ect. and i will be moving out of my house in exactly two week im so excited!
    What was your first choice? To be honest I did prefer a campus Uni at first but now that I think about it, being in the city is good. Also the students basically own Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    my first choice was st andrews although they gave the same offer but im now really glad they rejected me! illl be leaving mty house in a week today its really scary thought

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 6, 2004
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.