Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Parents being a nightmare about university! Watch

ReputationRep:
    As a parent myself and from seeing similar posts on here last year, I would suggest that you give student finance England a ring now and explain that you are an Asian female who's parents don't want you to go to uni and who are currently saying that they wont "allow " you to go - this is because as you live at home you are deemed to be financially dependent on your parents and they will have to send in proof of their taxable income in order for you to get the finance for your university fees and the living loan - Student finance have something in place for when this situation occurs and parents try to block you from going to uni ( and also the sharia loans I think ) - find out the facts for this first and if they don't change their minds then at least you know that you will be able to go down the "independent" student route -
    I appreciate it is very difficult for you and you probably love your parents very much,but as you say it is your life - and while your parents created you / mother gave birth to you,that does not mean they own you.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    There have been many feminists but the inequality is clear. Women have to fast for their husbands, take blessings from them by touching their feet and have even been recommended in the past to burn themselves on their husbands death pyre. Scriptures tell women to be obedient to their husbands and bear pain.
    Blue bit is actually optional and isn't enforced
    Red bit happens to get blessings from your elders. Men have to do it to their sisters/elder female relatives too.
    The pink bit comes from literature in Hinduism and if you look up India's (where about 90% of the world's Hindu population is) law, burning yourself on the death pyre for your husband is illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minionmum)
    As a parent myself and from seeing similar posts on here last year, I would suggest that you give student finance England a ring now and explain that you are an Asian female who's parents don't want you to go to uni and who are currently saying that they wont "allow " you to go - this is because as you live at home you are deemed to be financially dependent on your parents and they will have to send in proof of their taxable income in order for you to get the finance for your university fees and the living loan - Student finance have something in place for when this situation occurs and parents try to block you from going to uni ( and also the sharia loans I think ) - find out the facts for this first and if they don't change their minds then at least you know that you will be able to go down the "independent" student route -
    I appreciate it is very difficult for you and you probably love your parents very much,but as you say it is your life - and while your parents created you / mother gave birth to you,that does not mean they own you.

Good luck
    Wow I never knew you could do that, thank you for the advice and the luck, I will ask my teacher more about it. I wish they'd understand this but they believe that I should listen to them because they're older and they know whats right.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.