Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Donald Trump puts Iran on 'notice' Watch

ReputationRep:
    I knew OP would pull out that example of Americans shooting down an Iranian passenger aircraft, I said what if Iran shoots down a non-Iranian jet flying over them? It would obviously make things difficult for the gulf states east of Saudi Arabia, right?

(Original post by mysticalqueen)
      You need serious help
      So does everyone else who voted for Brexit or for UKIP.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      So does everyone else who voted for Brexit or for UKIP.
      Yeah I know

ReputationRep:
      from what i see iran is testing water.

They wont dare to do this when US political scenario is stable.

But now, under the new president the US seems a bit shaky, so they are testing how far can they go.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by shawn_o1)
      I knew OP would pull out that example of Americans shooting down an Iranian passenger aircraft, I said what if Iran shoots down a non-Iranian jet flying over them? It would obviously make things difficult for the gulf states east of Saudi Arabia, right?
      Firstly, I'm not the OP.

Secondly, I have no idea what your point is.

(Original post by HucktheForde)
      from what i see iran is testing water.
      What have Iran done since Trump was inaugurated that they didn't do whilst Obama was President?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Palmyra)
      Firstly, I'm not the OP.

Secondly, I have no idea what your point is.

What have Iran done since Trump was inaugurated that they didn't do whilst Obama was President?
      testing missile when trump is the president

ReputationRep:
      testing missile when trump is the president
      Iran, like basically every other sovereign nation on the planet, has a right to test missiles - and have exercised this right since at least 1992 when they began their program of military self-sufficiency.

They carried out countless missile tests under Obama (just like they have under every other President since 1992), in fact they have several annual war games to test their military capabilities, and in these they routinely test a variety of weaponry, including missiles.

One example (which suffices to disprove your false statement) is their missile test on October 10th 2015.

Maybe try researching issues for yourself instead of taking everything Trump says as fact in the future?

ReputationRep:
      Iran, like basically every other sovereign nation on the planet, has a right to test missiles - and have exercised this right since at least 1992 when they began their program of military self-sufficiency.

They carried out countless missile tests under Obama (just like they have under every other President since 1992), in fact they have several annual war games to test their military capabilities, and in these they routinely test a variety of weaponry, including missiles.

One example (which suffices to disprove your false statement) is their missile test on October 10th 2015.

Maybe try researching issues for yourself instead of taking everything Trump says as fact in the future?
      what did trump said? which of it did i quote?

ReputationRep:
      what did trump said?
      I rest my case.

ReputationRep:
      I rest my case.
      dafock is going on.

i am confused

ReputationRep:
      In a perverse way, however, being harsher on Iran might serve Russia's interests in the sense that it ensures Iran remains aligned with Russia instead of reaching some sort of detente with the U.S.
      Interesting. I've always felt the United States' more natural allies are the three big-I's; India, Iran and Israel. If Iran could democratise, it would make a very suitable ally for the United States, as it did during the Shah years. Surely the sophisticated Persians are a much better fit as allies for the West than Pakistan and Saudi Arabia?

We've had nothing but trouble from both of them, in fact Pakistan is probably the most malevolent nation on earth (its government, at least); it is an outrageous nuclear proliferator and its nuclear arsenal is probably the riskiest on earth in terms of risks if Islamic extremists in the Pakistani Army were to decide to hand them over to Al-Qaeda (or there was an Islamist coup... it's terrifying). And indeed the pro-Al Qaeda disposition of much of the Pakistani Army, their ongoing support to the Taliban. And it's no coincidence that the Pakistani-Saudi relationship has itself been called a "special relationship". The Saudis basically paid for the Pakistani nuclear programme and they reputedly have a secret treaty where the Pakistanis have undertaken to provide nuclear warheads to the Saudis if the latter was ever fundamentally threatened.

On top of that, Pakistani society is literally still a feudal society (many people don't know this); the Pakistani peasantry live in a form of feudal bondage by way of intergenerational debt (almost slavery) that is basically never repayable. The Pakistani peasantry in the Punjab and rural Sindh have to buy their seed, their water, their permit to get married, from the hereditary landowning castes, the Zamindars and Chaudhrys, the Nawabs and the Khans. They are often banned from sending their children to school as the lords do not want peasants who can read.

These landowning castes also dominate the bureaucracy, and in a mirror-image of European feudalism, the horse-riding, polo-playing hereditary landowners also form the backbone of the Pakistani Army officer corps. Both sides of Pakistani politics are essentially from this landowning class (Benazir Bhutto was definitely of that part. A BBC World Service radio documentary paid a visit to the court of Bhutto, and spoke to one of her courtiers, a Balochi landed magnate who said, "I have a million acres and a million men" ). Put it all together and it's a nauseating mix of exploitation, misery, extremism, terrorism, organised crime, nuclear proliferation and duplicity.

Of course Bin Laden and 15 of the 19 9/11 hijackers came from Saudi Arabia and their government stands as one of the worst theocratic regimes on earth, and also as an exporter of radical jihad (and either itself funds, or turns a blind eye to, the funding of jihadis by rich princes).

These two nations are absolutely terrible allies, we should make common cause with the I-nations.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.